Bones

ncarter

Hi,

i was wondering at what age is it safe to give a puppy bones? Could a papillon choke on raw chicken wings?

Also at what age do puppies teeth come through? Do you need a special doggie toothbrush to brush their teeth?

kind regards

I would use chicken neck, but still supervise when eating. I am thinking of using chicken drumstick? Why people use chicken wings but not chicken drumstick? Any potential danger?

I know puppy teeth fell out and change to adult teeth around 3-4 months. There are some special toothbrush and toothpaste for dogs. Some vets may have them, but I was told that I can just use a kid's toothbrush with dog's toothpaste.

I would not use a toothbrush on a dog.

Giving them marrow bones (or a peace of marrow bone for a pup) should do the job. I personally would be hesitant to give chicken bones to a pup. I found chicken necks to be good for pups and they are just as rich in Ca.

I weaned my pup at 4-5 weeks onto raw chicken necks and had to switch to frames about a week later as he was swallowing them whole. I also know many breeders who wean onto raw chicken bones. Raw chicken in fine for pups but I wouldn't be giving marrow bones as they are too hard to be consumed entirely and can damage the dogs teeth.

ETA: I have fed chicken drums without issue before, but I prefer not to as I don't like the meat to bone ratio.

Edited by haven

I was giving my pup marrow bones (I ask butcher to cut one bone in 4 peaces) and he was fine with it, no teeth problems, the only thing is that he would spend ages on them and he could not go through the hard bit, but he would certainly go throught the marrow easily......

Many people feed their young pups on raw meaty bones, most begin with chicken parts such as necks or wings. Lamb neck chops are another favourite! :laugh:

Any raw meaty bone designed to be eaten as a meal is fine - just don't give a young pup a marrow bone or other recreational bone b/c it's just too hard for their baby teeth and the marrow may upset their digestive tract.

I am thinking of using chicken drumstick? Why people use chicken wings but not chicken drumstick? Any potential danger?

The reason most people don't start off with leg bones, eg drumsticks is because they are a weightbearing bone and much stronger/denser etc so better for the bigger/older dogs more so then pups. Wings etc are much easier on the jaws and tummy of a pup, and easier to munch on for some of the smaller breeds etc.

Or at least that's mind understanding of it :laugh:

That lil bone the pup will crunch up - but it is best to supervise them just in case they try to swallow it whole.

You can cut the wings into the three pieces thry the joints if you think the whole wing is a bit big for a pup.

Cooked bones splinter. Raw bones may do so but it's less likely and I've never seen a problem with my own dogs, even my tiny Molly gets through a drumstick without incident! Mind you, she shouldn't eat a drumstick b/c it's too much food, but the OH has made this mistake once! :p I started her off with chicken neck b/c she was accustomed to eating kibble and the first couple of meals were interesting, to say the least - the look on her face when I put a chicken neck in front of her was priceless! :)

But once she got the hang of it, she was so happy! :laugh: Now she tucks in like there's no tomorrow. :D