Playing Too Rough

rockhard_mastiffs

I have just gotten a 8 week old bullmastiff and am having quite a bit of trouble with him and my 18 month old son. Its not my son who is hurting the dog it is the other way around, he constantly knocks my son over and bites and scratches him (its in a playful way though) This morning i heard my son crying outside and found the puppy had knocked him off his little bike and he had scratches up the side of his face. I find this only happens when they are alone together for brief periods of time, i growl at alexi (the dog) when he gets too rough with him but it doesnt seem to be working. I thought it was children you couldnt trust on their own around dogs not the other way around ;) oh also i forgot to mention it only ever happens when he is playing outside. Any suggestions on what i can do?

Never, ever, leave a child alone with a pup - or a dog!

You, as an adult, know the limits, but a child, or a dog doesn't!

I have three grandchildren -- I always supervise their "interaction" with my dog.

I have had everything from a German Shepherd to a Golden Retriever.

I have never left a child with any one of my dogs in a manner that could lead to a "child" attack, or a "dog" attack.

Please just be careful - dogs don't have a consience!

your 18 month old child is a baby... babys/children and dogs should never be left alone for any amount of time.. that cute lil pup is going to be one big dog soon... he needs to be taught also , what is acceptable and needs to know who is the leader of your pack.. please dont take this the wrong way. children need to also be taught how to behave around dogs. 18 months is not to youngt o teach your son.. good luck would love to see pics.