Coping With High-energy "psycho" Time

samoyedman

My samoyed pup is now 13 weeks old (where has the time gone!) and by-and-large he's an excellent little fellow (dug his first hole today, grrr) :confused: He won't eat unless I give an eye-contact command (similar to TOT) and has been toilet trained since week 1. He already 90% understands 'sit' and 'come'.

One thing I notice is when I get home from work and/or early in the morning, he has massive bursts of energy and will literally run rings around me at full pace wanting to play. The problem is his idea of "play" is a bit mischeivious. He is constantly running in front of me under my feet and then will start running around me gesturing (with his mouth) that he wants to nip at my trousers (admittedly playfully). When he is really psyched up he will run around me at full-pace and come "in for the kill" with a playful jump at my blind spot as I crouch on the ground.

I think its important a puppy expends his energy and enjoys his "puppyhood". But I am wary of doing this in the right and wrong way. Would it best I try and pacify this behaviour I should I play along and have a bit of fun?

First thing I would say is 100% ignore the puppy whilst it is doing this or anything else that you don't find acceptable or don't want it to do as an adult.

If the dog is running at you full boar, then turn side on or turn your back, whichever gives your more balance.

I find dogs have too much energy if they don't have ways to release it such as going for long walks before leaving the house, you have a puppy so you'll need to check with your breeder how long you are allowed to walk a puppy of this breed at this age.

Also interactive things to do at home whilst you're not there such as big bones, clam shell paddling pools, clam shell sandpits, interactive treat balls etc. (you need to teach the dog how to use the paddling pool and sandpit as some don't understand them straight away).

If your dog just dug his first hole, this is your first sign your puppy needs more to do mentally & physically. Puppies will be puppies but I don't think we're being the best owners we can be if they're running a muck.

This is what I have at home:

backyard.jpg

Edited by sas

First thing I would say is 100% ignore the puppy whilst it is doing this or anything else that you don't find acceptable or don't want it to do as an adult.

If the dog is running at you full boar, then turn side on or turn your back, whichever gives your more balance.

I find dogs have too much energy if they don't have ways to release it such as going for long walks before leaving the house, you have a puppy so you'll need to check with your breeder how long you are allowed to walk a puppy of this breed at this age.

Also interactive things to do at home whilst you're not there such as big bones, clam shell paddling pools, clam shell sandpits, interactive treat balls etc. (you need to teach the dog how to use the paddling pool and sandpit as some don't understand them straight away).

If your dog just dug his first hole, this is your first sign your puppy needs more to do mentally & physically.

This is what I have at home:

backyard.jpg

Thanks for reply Sas.

:sigh: Kinda knew that was coming viz a vis the "what you do now is how it will behave as a dog". :)

The thing is though just about *all* puppy-play is the sort of thing you don't want your dog to do when he grows up, but puppies are puppies and still need to have their fun. May I ask specifically what play you did with your pup? It would take an incredible amount of control on my own behalf not to have a little *very light* playful rolling on the ground with my samoyed...should this be avoided totally? He's so damn cute I can barely resist giving him a hug :confused:

Re keeping him occupied, he's with someone for a lot of the day and sleeps the rest of the time. He's only had 2 vaccinations so can't start taking him for walks yet. When he's a bit older I will start taking him to work with me.

I appreciate the advice.

Edited by samoyedman

Definately play with your Puppy! And definately enjoy the time your puppy is a puppy.

But right now you need to be setting boundaries for your puppy, teaching it you're the leader, puppies understand leadership.

It's really hard as humans not to humanize their dogs, if you have any spare cash, I reccomend reading either 'The other end of the leash' or 'Ceasers Way' to give you an insight into the doggy mind.

I wouldn't be encouraging any rough play with your dog.

It's interesting that when you're being all excited with your dog and being all cute with it, it actually sees you as unstable and not leadership material....therefore heading for trouble down the track. That's not to say you can't be happy when puppy does something right, but do it in a calm, relaxed manner i.e. you don't want to be jumping up and down when your dog learns a new command etc. even though it's bloody tempting.

One thing that Ceaser says is always give calm assertive energy. Provide exercise, dicipline(Boundaries & rules), affection IN THAT ORDER......kinda makes sense doesn't it, considering that's how dogs treat each other.

You may like to look into 'drive training' with your puppy, a great way to create a bond & leadership and get great results from your puppy.

Edited by sas

It's interesting that when you're being all excited with your dog and being all cute with it, it actually sees you as unstable and not leadership material....therefore heading for trouble down the track. That's not to say you can't be happy when puppy does something right, but do it in a calm, relaxed manner i.e. you don't want to be jumping up and down when your dog learns a new command etc. even though it's bloody tempting.

I dont show any excitment much and he never jumps up and down.

I show enthusiasm when he does something right like learning a command.

Our 4.5 mth old does the same thing, running around in circles and diving at your feet, its very hard to turn the other way when he does that, and he has had me "trapped under the clothesline"a few times LOL

We have started good brisk 20 minue walks every morning, and I cant tell you what a difference it has made to his behaviour during the day, it took us a while to get the whole walking thing really happening due to some fear issues, but i am stunned at the difference it has made to him during the day.

When he does get in that running around crazy mood, he either goes outside, or if already out there we come inside and leave him to settle for a little while before going out again, but it has decreased a lot in the last week or so. For what my humble opinion is worth i would never play along, yeah we thought it was funny at the very beginning, but he is a crazy little fellow when hyped up like that and he drew blood a few times and that was it, not funny anymore. LOL

:confused: Hi Samoyedman,

My sammy pup is 13 weeks old, too. He also runs around me in circles, nipping my legs, trying to get me to play with him.

He has lots of toys - rope balls, kong, little toy tyre etc. I say ahh in a loud firm voice when he does this and it does stop him but if i do something else like pick up his food bowl and walk towards the house he will try it again. He has learned 'sit' and I am now trying to teach him to 'stay' and 'lie down'. Has anyone got any tips for me?

Also I can't resist playing with my boy either. Sometimes I lie next to him and let him sniff me and lick my face! Not for too long though! I probably shouldn't be doing this either?

Please someone give me some tips on playing and training a 13 week old puppy.

I have gotten him used to his outside 'cubby' (it's a small room in the backyard which the door can be pushed shut at night - when he sleeps) and he also has his meals and water bowl in there.

I've made it really comfortable for him, he has a hot water bottle under his blanket which he hasn't wrecked- yet!

And now he has a touch lamp in there, out of his reach of course. He is slowly settling in there though when i call him

for bedtime he doesn't seem to want to come in there. But once he's in there he doesn't make much of a fuss a few barks and that's about it. This morning he got out before I could let him out which he has never been able to do before. I like him to be confined in the cubby overnight because if he is outside all night he will lie on the grass in the rain and that is not good for him.

XXToughgirlXXX

I notice a big reduction in 'naughty' behaviours in my 15wk Dobe by just doing 10minutes basic obedience training each afternoon.

It is also helping both of us to understand each other.

My boy has lots of toys during the day plus another dog to play with but the obedience work just seems to take the 'edge' of the boisterous behaviours. :laugh:

Edited by SALTWOOD

Just incase it's been misinterpreted, I'm not saying don't play with your pup or have fun....that's what's having a puppy is all about!

It's more about setting boundaries and rules and being 100% consistent about it so you develop a well balanced dog that can grow into a fairly well behaved adult.

Samoyedman, I can totally relate to this. My nine month old has a "psycho hour". Always after his walk. he comes home and goes nuts. it drives me up the wall. i don't know why he does it. I have been to traning etc etc, but nothing seems to work, so am hoping he grows out of it

One thing that Ceaser says is always give calm assertive energy. Provide exercise, dicipline(Boundaries & rules), affection IN THAT ORDER......kinda makes sense doesn't it, considering that's how dogs treat each other.

:laugh:

It doesnt mean that you cant play with your puppy but it does mean that the play is on your terms. :D

I am with Sas get your hands on either of the books reccommended your puppy will love you even more for it. :eek:

Samoyedman, I can totally relate to this. My nine month old has a "psycho hour". Always after his walk. he comes home and goes nuts. it drives me up the wall. i don't know why he does it. I have been to traning etc etc, but nothing seems to work, so am hoping he grows out of it

Have a look at the books Sas reccommended, it is how you walk the dog that makes a difference - Ceasers way is especially good at explaining how a walk can make a big difference to your dogs energy levels. :laugh:

:laugh:

It doesnt mean that you cant play with your puppy but it does mean that the play is on your terms. :rofl:

I am with Sas get your hands on either of the books reccommended your puppy will love you even more for it. :eek:

Our dog goes hypo and then starts biting :D

We've tried ignoring him but he will bite you whether you turn away or not.

I tried to put him in a quiet room to calm down but its hard to get hold of him when he's like this as he really has quite a bite.

Advice please.

Di