Sick Puppy

Diesel the Weasel

That is so sad. Hopefully he will make it through alright. You have a very strong breed there. Mini's are fighters thats for sure.

I know how hard it can all get. We had to pts my boy after a speeding car had hit him and not even bothered to stop. The boy managed to still try to walk with broken ribs, internal bleeding and the like. He lasted another 4 or so hours before my dad decided to have him pts.

They are very strong, dont give up hope.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is out of the surgery - they didn't find the infolding in the intestine, but think what was showing up on the x-ray was a very hard piece of poo. The intestine was really gassy and full of goo, which they have squeezed out. He is awake from the anaesthetic and is apparently looking a bit more lively than this morning. They will keep him there on a drip until he is over the gastro.

Thanks all for your good wishes - please keep them coming until he is home again!

He is out of the surgery - they didn't find the infolding in the intestine, but think what was showing up on the x-ray was a very hard piece of poo. The intestine was really gassy and full of goo, which they have squeezed out. He is awake from the anaesthetic and is apparently looking a bit more lively than this morning. They will keep him there on a drip until he is over the gastro.

Thanks all for your good wishes - please keep them coming until he is home again!

what sort of diet is he on normally?

<I know how hard it can all get. We had to pts my boy after a speeding car had hit him and not even bothered to stop. The boy managed to still try to walk with broken ribs, internal bleeding and the like. He lasted another 4 or so hours before my dad decided to have him pts.>

How sad Arby :mad Aren't some people disgusting?!!!

I've been trying to work out what your pic is - it is so dark on my computer I can't make it out.

At least Diesel has come through surgery okay so fingers crossed he will make a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks Arby and Gretel.

Sorry about your little boy, Arby. That must have been horrible to watch. It is horrible watching them suffer and they don't understand why they are feeling like that.

It is good to know that there are pups out there that have recovered fine from major surgery.

He has been on a diet of pal puppy food - dry and tinned (this is what the breeder was using). I have since changed to supercoat (dry) for pups, but still mix with the tinned pal. I give him a chicken neck most mornings when I go to work - keeps him busy for a little while! I hope that this diet is not what gave him the gastro.....

Thanks Arby and Gretel.

Sorry about your little boy, Arby. That must have been horrible to watch. It is horrible watching them suffer and they don't understand why they are feeling like that.

It is good to know that there are pups out there that have recovered fine from major surgery.

He has been on a diet of pal puppy food - dry and tinned (this is what the breeder was using). I have since changed to supercoat (dry) for pups, but still mix with the tinned pal. I give him a chicken neck most mornings when I go to work - keeps him busy for a little while! I hope that this diet is not what gave him the gastro.....

So sorry to hear that your little MS has been so sick and I hope that he makes a full recovery. Minis can be notorious gutses and will eat almost anything. I would keep his diet soft for quite a while yet and make sure that the dry food is soaked before he eats it.

Just a warning, be careful with the chicken necks. My MS choked and nearly died on one when she was around the same age as yours, as she tried to 'hoover' it down all in one gulp. Only some quick thinking from my son saved her. We also had another bone episode 6 months ago when she decided to chew and play at the same time. Now she is only allowed full lamb shanks, with most of the meat off, for a recreational chew and to keep her teeth clean.

While it's great to be able to give them bones to keep them occupied, I would be erring on the side of caution for a while yet, and maybe introduce larger, non-swallowable bones when he's a bit older.

BTW, can we have some photos please when he's back home safe and sound? :mad

Thanks Gretel!

The vet called this morning - apparently there is a very slight improvement this morning (he stood up momentarily when the vet came in to the room). He said not to get too excited, so still not out of the woods, but I guess slow improvements are a good sign? Better than getting worse anyway! He will call again this afternoon with another update. Fingers crossed for another slight improvement! They all add up to getting my baby back home!

Another slight improvement this morning. He actually stood up and wagged his tail when I came to visit! :thumbsup:

The vet is now fairly certain it is a severe gastro caused by rotavirus (about the only one there is no vaccine for!!) He is actually appearing to be feeling hungry today, which is fantastic. Before this he would actually pull away from food and water. The vet is going to try and get him to keep a very small amount of food down (he has been vomiting again over night). They are going to feed him a special prescription diet for dogs with intestinal problems, and his meal size will only be a teaspoon of food. If he can keep something down by tomorrow, then they might take him off the drip.

So, he is still very sick, but things are looking a bit more positive today. Lets keep hoping for continued improvements!

Thanks so much Arby and Gretel for you good thoughts. It has been so helpful to have your support here!

I have been such a worried mum today..... Is this is what it is like with real kids????

Most kids can talk and tell you what hurts :eek:

Just called the vet - they suspect there is a blockage as they have done a barium x-ray. They are going to do another one later today to see if the barium has still not moved - if is is a blockage, then he will need surgery.

Vet thought it looks like something soft such as a sock. Not sure that I am missing any, but if it is i would love to know how he managed to eat a sock without choking?? Don't reckon I could gag one down!

He is only 13 weeks - how safe is surgery at this age? I know there is no choice, and I will do anything to make him better. Just wondering what the risks are?

Has anyone had puppies with bowel obstructions before??

Yup, but no operation - At was sick for a few weeks, he was spweing EVERY night but find in the day - something was found in his tummy (he was 6 months i think?) The night before the operation he spewed up a pile of plastic - god only know where he got that from!

in the last 3 years i have been woken up to many times to count with him throwing up something he shouldnt eat - do a search in general for Atlas, and have a read of our last vet visit - his pink Blankie stuck.. half way out his bottom! I had to take my male bull terrier to the vet with a pink blankie haning out his bum!

Vet wrap also can be pooed out, i have had a sock pooped out as well as a cancer council sticker (no idea where that came from!) magnets from the fridge, parts of a phone, and a shoe :D

I LOVE poop scooping in my house, never know what you can find!!

Hope he pulls through ok!

I usually watch him pretty closely and take away anything that he shouldn't be chewing. He loves stealing my bras :rofl: , but maybe that is why he swallowed whatever it is so quickly!

I am really hoping it is not a lacy g-string :rofl: .........

Someone suggested getting bucket loads of paraffin oil down him and maybe it would just slide out? Anyone used this method before? I would like to avoid surgery if I can.....

:hug::)

I have paraffinoil for At, he lives on it :hug:

Last time it was used was the shoe he ate ;)

Edited by Terrorbull

Latest Diesel update:

Couldn't keep food down, but eager to eat and drink. They have avoided giving him food again, but letting him drink some water. He is even vomiting up the water, but the vet thinks some of it might be getting through.

It is a good sign that he is keen to eat - means he is feeling a bit better. Just need to rehabilitate his digestive system now. He has had nothing going through it for 5 days, so the vet thinks that eating and drinking now is a bit of a shock to the system. Vet is the most positive he has been about recovery since I brought him in last Wednesday!

So, more likely now that he will survive this, but it looks like it will be a slow process.