Sick Puppy

Diesel the Weasel

Well he is home now!

He has thrown up once, but think that was because he guzzled water too quickly. He has kept down some food and water since.

He is pretty tired, but I think also a little unsure of everything. I think he had decided that the vet's must be home, and now he has been thrown into a 'new' home with a 'new' person.

I guess he will settle down in a few days, and the energy will come when he puts a bit of weight back on.

I have tried attaching a photo, but says the photo is bigger than my post or global limit?? (didn't know I had one) Anyway around this?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well he has pooed (about 5 in a row actually when I had guests over for dinner!)

But he vomited again last night, and he is sleeping ALL the time. He is showing no interest in any of his toys - not playful at all. Is this normal for recovery? I would expect him to sleep alot, but thought he would show some puppy playfulness in between naps. Am I expecting too much at this stage? We are going back to the vets this afternoon to get his stitches out.

your baby is recovering from a VERY SERIOUS incident, and if he were mone, i would not expect him to play or be active at all yet. I certainly wouldn't be encouraging him, either.

He needs extra good quality food, and as much rest as his body tells him to take.

Glad he seems to be on the improve...... :(

Thanks persephone, that is kind of what I thought, but having never had my own dog before, especially not a sick one, I just wanted to check that this is normal recovery behaviour.

I have brought him in to work today and he has been showing periods of interest in things (I am a teacher and last time he came to school he had more teenagers giving him attention than he knew what to do with!). I think he is remembering this as a fun place, so showing a little more energy.

He has eaten three small meals so far today and kept them all down which is good. But he is only eating roast chicken (no bones of course!) which is what the vet was using to get him to eat. I know this is not nutritionally balanced, but he is not interested in dry food and rarely interested in the wet stuff. Is there anything I can add to the chicken to boost his energy and nutrition levels until he gets his full appetite back?

:( he is a smart boy, too...got you feeding him roast chicken already!! :)

If it's only for a week or so, me, I wouldn't worry too much. will he eat raw meat/mince? Scrambled egg?

Maybe cook up some boneless chicken and a smal amount of veg..? like a stew? Check on here as to veges to use....definitely no cabbage or similar!

Glad he is with you...try & keep him from jumping up on things, too..just in case :)

Lucky boy!

Oh..ask your vet for some NUTRIGEL...it will help, and he should like the taste :laugh:

Edited by persephone

Glad to hear Diesel is on the mend - he has had MAJOR surgery and of course won't be back to his normal self for a while. After Lucy was desexed, she was very sore and sorry for herself and sulked for days - don't think our breed has a high pain threshold. Madam even stops dead when she has a bindi anywhere near her foot!

Maybe try some sardines mashed in with mince or chicken - most dogs love the taste and smell and of course, with a schnauzer, you will have fishy breath, courtesy of the beard!

Well, he had his stitches out last night - he was so good! And I was so suprised that he was really happy to be visiting the vet surgery! (He loved it from puppy preschool, but thought that his latest adventure might make him fear the vets). His scar is so long, but has healed up really well - he now looks like a pirate puppy! :laugh:

He still has an occasional spew, but seems only to be when I feed him something a bit richer than roast chicken. Vet seems to think that it won't hurt him to eat nothing but chicken for a while just to get his system working again and put a bit of weight on!

He used to weigh 4.6 kg but after the stay at the vets was down to 2.5 kg, but I was so pleased that over the weekend he has put on 1 kg. I hope that I never put on nearly 1/4 of my body weight in 3 days....... Although christmas is coming......

Humphrey was at puppy school at the vets too. Even a year later he still loves going to the vet. Never forgot the place. Diesel has happy memories of the vet and chances are he will always have happy memories of it

He had a spew and some diarrhoea last night, and off his food this morning (even roast chicken can't tempt him). So we are back to the vets today just to check . He still seems alert and has put on some weight, but considering his history they thought it better to get him in just to be safe.

I was wondering if maybe this is just heat related? It has been over 30oC every day here for about the last 5 days. I know some dogs can go off their food with the heat, but getting the runs??

He had a spew and some diarrhoea last night, and off his food this morning (even roast chicken can't tempt him). So we are back to the vets today just to check . He still seems alert and has put on some weight, but considering his history they thought it better to get him in just to be safe.

I was wondering if maybe this is just heat related? It has been over 30oC every day here for about the last 5 days. I know some dogs can go off their food with the heat, but getting the runs??

We had a bit of a heat wave in Melbourne and my pup got the runs. Had it for days. We took her to the vet and she had a bug with her large intestine. Puppies are very prone to picking up alot of things, but with something like the runs it can just take a long time to clear up, sometimes bugs can just linger and you have to wait for their system to clear it out - or so we were told. I guess your little one is very run down, so of course picking things up or being extra stressed would be very understandable...

We were just told to feed rice and chicken and slowly get her back on her normal food, i guess considering what your one has been through, best place for advice and a once over would be the vet - but fingers crossed it all improves!!

I went to the vet this morning - she said much the same. His intestine was very gurgerly suggesting it is a bit irritated. So she said try boiling some chicken, rice and veg together for him. My main concern is though that he hasn't been drinking today. He normally drinks alot, but won't touch food or water.

Should I be concerned or just see how he is tomorrow?

I went to the vet this morning - she said much the same. His intestine was very gurgerly suggesting it is a bit irritated. So she said try boiling some chicken, rice and veg together for him. My main concern is though that he hasn't been drinking today. He normally drinks alot, but won't touch food or water.

Should I be concerned or just see how he is tomorrow?

I'd wait til the morning see how it goes. It might be that he just isnt thirsty. I know that sometimes even drinking can irritate the stomach and intestine. If he still isnt drinking tomorrow then off to the vet and get a drip.

How is he behaviour wise??? Is he cheery etc despite being exhausted of course?

I know with my girl when she had the runs we rang the vet everyday, saying she still has it and its not getting better but she was still drinking, eating and was very lively to which they said to just keep up the rice and chicken as you can tell when something is really bothering them. We took her to the vet anyway and she was given tablets to help clear up any irritation. It has only recently improved itself and did take time.

Your situation is a little harder but considering your pup is recovering and has been unwell previously you might find that has a bit to do with the not drinking as much water. In all honesty your vet has obviously been doing a great job thus far cause your pup is improving - so i would just trust them and continue to obtain their advice and check ups.

Hope he is a little better today.

We had a mini cool change come through last night (high 20's instead of 30's!), but it seems to have been enough to perk him up a bit today. He has started drinking again and I have made him boiled chicken, rice and veg with a little bit of chicken gravox and some small pieces of ham for flavour. He is loving it and has started eating again! I guess it is to be expected that he will have some good days and bad days while he is recovering, and overall he is a million times better than where he was a few weeks ago!

In between sleeping he has started to show interest in his toys again, so that is a really good sign I think!

Yes, Lily, the vet and nurses have been fantastic. And I didn't have to sell a kidney on ebay afterall to pay for this. People were telling me to expect a bill for $3000 for all he has had done - thank god I found a vet that charges a reasonable amount! I can't recommend them enough to my friends with pets!

He was supposed to be having his 3rd vaccination next week, but they have suggested to put it off for a week to give his immune system a bit of extra time to improve. I didn't think that the vaccines contained live viruses??

You're doing well:)..yep..he will be a bit 'up&down'....would he maybe play with an iceblock? especially if you made it from boiled chicken water (no salt) or something?

Just a thought..that way he stays cool, and gets some liquid.....

*keeping fingers crossed*