Cavalier Puppy That Wont' Eat

barly

I am posting this for a friend who has a little 5 mth old cavalier who won't eat much. As a baby baby he was fine and still eats the same food but, he eats a little bit a time and then stops. :( He is not skin and bones does have a slight layer of fat over his ribs. Vet has checked him and he is perfectly healthy. Does anyone have any suggestions to get him to eat more?

Edited by barly

If the vet has checked the pup and is saying everything is ok, you may just have a fussy cavalier, I do :( My cavalier is 13 months old and sometimes she looks terriably thin. Your friend will just have to feed little often there stomachs are small so fill and empty quickly, I feed my cav 4 times a day, I have to otherwise she looks terrible and oh so thin.

I have done lots of trial and error and once I found a food she liked I have NOT changed her at all, and now she is finally starting to put on a bit of weight.

I got her interested in food by putting a little Nutrigel on top of her food which also helped when she wasnt eating and now I have no probs.

Good luck and if you like PM me ....

How long has he not been eating?

What is he being fed?

How often is he being fed?

About 6 weeks

Pro plan and little bit of chicken mince

3 times a day - Breakfast, lunch and dinner

Edited by barly

Sometimes pups go through growth stages, and don't eat well for a while. However, 6 weeks is a bit long.

I would suggest more variety in the diet - ie, chicken mince, beef mince, mixed with table scraps, and perhaps change the dry food. They can be fussy eaters, and a change often produces dramatic results. The are simply signalling that they are tired of the same old, same old.

Chance to a premium dry food - simply to have a change. Perhaps try cooking the mince, with a few veges in a frying pan, and feeding it warm. Also try 1/3 can sardines, and 100g of liver, heart or kidney once a week.

If none of that works, try 1/4 packet of My Dog (the one in gravy) mixed in with the food.

Put the food down, leave for 15 minutes, and remove.

Cavs at that age have lost their puppy fat, and are usually growing, so they are a bit lean looking.

We dont ecommend beef mince as it can cause all sorts of skin issues ,the runs.

As the dog has been health checked my theory would be.

*feeding to much.

*too many treats

* leaving the food down for too long allowing it to graze & take its time to eat.

If it was mine i would cut out a meal ,make sure the bowl isnt left down longer than 5 mins & no treats at all.

Cavies can be notorious picky eaters. I had such problems with getting Bailey to eat. We had him on Euk but it was always a fight for him to even eat one of the 3 meals a day. When we changed to Nutro it made a huge difference. Took a few days but he is 6 months old (almost) and eating like a pro!

Edited by vanessa0305