Prong Collars

why not just train your dog rather than all this hiding , justification and lies.

You mean train the dog with no tools? No correction collars, no headcollars, no leashes, no longlines, no toys, no clickers, no food treats?

I only wish I could do that! :laugh:

Otherwise I really don't understand the point of your question. Most people who use prong collars do so in order to train their dog. Most have the eventual goal of weaning back onto a flat collar (or no collar). Just like most clicker users don't want to have to click a command forever, most prong collar users want to achieve offleash reliability.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not just train your dog rather than all this hiding , justification and lies.

I find this absolutly amazing that a person taht has just join the forums would come to this thread and tell people waht to do in the first post.

What heppened to the introduction of yourself tds in the "Welcome Matt" first?

I find this absolutly amazing that a person taht has just join the forums would come to this thread and tell people waht to do in the first post.

What heppened to the introduction of yourself tds in the "Welcome Matt" first?

I think I could take a wild stab in the dark and guess who's URL would match this one :laugh:

First ever post and in a topic about prong collars, hmmmmm

Husky87:

"I am only showing you this because I have to" and went on about how our dogs could be seriously injured if we ever used it. She made us feel really bad for even considering using it on our husky

Perhaps she worked for a chiropractic vet? Personally I agree with the vet nurse and there is evidence to support her views. You'd be better of using a prong IMHO. If your dog pulls on the halti it COULD end up with serious problems - and most dogs do.

TDS does have a point - most young dogs can be taught not to pull, thereby negating the need for most of them to be walked with anything more than a flat collar.

Maybe the person at Petbarn has a lousy idea of anatomy and met the trachea rather than the oesophegus. I'd take the advice as well intentioned but perhaps somewhat uninformed???

Husky87:
"I am only showing you this because I have to" and went on about how our dogs could be seriously injured if we ever used it. She made us feel really bad for even considering using it on our husky

Perhaps she worked for a chiropractic vet? Personally I agree with the vet nurse and there is evidence to support her views. You'd be better of using a prong IMHO. If your dog pulls on the halti it COULD end up with serious problems - and most dogs do.

I know now (four years after puppy school) a prong would be another option, but at the time I had never heard of it so we tried the halti. We don't use it anymore, we were able to teach my boy not to pull without the halti etc on :laugh: so now it's not an issue :rofl: I would have loved to see the look on the woman's face if we had asked her about prongs in puppy school! She was really a bit strange, she didn't like my husky and always made comments about how it was really hot in QLD and basically insinuated it was an inappropriate breed to have here (like we were cruel) and pretty much ignored us and our boy throughout the class. Hopefully our next puppy school experience will be a bit more boring :rofl:

Forgive my naivety but I have never seen a prong collar used. I looked one up on ebay to see a pic.

Can anyone explain how these are safer than choker chains? I have always used a harness on my APBTs with an oversized choke connected incase the harness breaks. IMHO these prong collars look painful... Can anyone explain how they work please?

I cant really give a detailed answer of how they function because I know I'll describe it incorrectly. There are heaps of sites on the net if you google it but I think basically it exerts pressure around the neck and pinches the skin a little bit. *Correct me people... I am thinking lamans terms here*

But I can tell you that I have put a prong around my bare thigh and yanked as hard as I could on it, way harder than you would to a dog. Ya know what happened? Nothing... Didnt hurt, just didnt feel nice either.

Actually, I tell a lie, my skin got pinched a little bit but that was actually from the chain part of the Collar. The prongs left no mark at all on bare human skin :laugh:

Forgive my naivety but I have never seen a prong collar used. I looked one up on ebay to see a pic.

Can anyone explain how these are safer than choker chains? I have always used a harness on my APBTs with an oversized choke connected incase the harness breaks. IMHO these prong collars look painful... Can anyone explain how they work please?

Here ya go :laugh:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=prong.html

K9 sums it up well :vomit:

But I can tell you that I have put a prong around my bare thigh and yanked as hard as I could on it, way harder than you would to a dog. Ya know what happened? Nothing... Didnt hurt, just didnt feel nice either.

Actually, I tell a lie, my skin got pinched a little bit but that was actually from the chain part of the Collar. The prongs left no mark at all on bare human skin :laugh:

Same here! I had the chance to do just this a few months ago and tried with a choker as well. It was really interesting to understand how the collars feel and also very educational!

The choker pinched a little in the area where the rings joined and I really didn't feel a whole hell of a lot of anything even if I corrected pretty hard. The prong on the other hand stunned me. The correction was perfectly consistent around the prong area and certainly didn't hurt, it was VERY snug though and I can see exactly why they're so effective. It's such a lovely clear correction, whereas the choker would be more of an inconvenience than anything else. No wonder my dog almost always ignores it!

I have been lurking for quite a while, I will have you know! and just because you have not had the chance to bully me in the same way that I have watched you "pro cruelty people" bully others does not make my opinion any less valid. Let me say though that from the evidence that you have written for all of us to read, you also train your dogs by bullying them as well.

Prong collars are not a training tool in the same way a cattle prod is not a training tool, they are a correction tool. They do not teach or train the animal anything, all they do is cause pain and discomfort. I will let you in on something, the key to animal training and that is any animal training is to get the animal to WANT to do what you want the animal to do. when you can use your brain to train the dog that is when I think you are a trainer. I would love for some of you people to use a prong collar,or any collar for that mater on a dolphin.

I will let you all go on now and attack me, maybe I am a troll.

BTW I have trained my dogs to multiple titles in multiple dog sports (no bimbo show ring stuff here) and I believe that I can stand by my own credentials. putting on flame suit now.

:laugh::vomit::rofl::laugh:

I would love for some of you people to use a prong collar,or any collar for that mater on a dolphin.

:vomit: don't be silly! Dolphins don't have necks...where would the collar go :laugh:

EDIT: now I have the image of a collar slipping and sliding around a dolphin out of my head....

To each dog their own. What worked on your (I'm assuming) perfectly behaved dogs won't necessarily work on another. My dog is a great example of that- he does need corrections as part of his training, but we also use a heap of positive too. I've tried a lot of different training methods (including 100% positive) and have come back to incorporating corrections as I get the best results and also helps my dog understand what I'm asking of him.

Edited by jaybeece

The day my dolfin will start to pull me around the neighbourhood Ill ask you tds for some advice as you are clearly experienced in the field.

And while this is a dog forum and we are all here to learn not bully like you suggest what do YOU do when you have a mega pulling heavy dog? Oh and lets make it dog agressive, nervous, affraid of a clicker and not even looking at a treat or a ball.

The day my dolfin will start to pull me around the neighbourhood Ill ask you tds for some advice as you are clearly experienced in the field.

:laugh::vomit::rofl:

Classic!

Let me guess...multiple titles....dogs from working or gun dog groups....a training know it all that wouldn't even to attempt to title a dog from the hound group for example...and let me guess...why would that be so??

tds - what is the break down of the learning process for using a prong collar?.....

Geez didnt you know JJ, its to choke and torture the dog into submission!! :laugh::vomit:

Oh of course how could all of us pro torture people have not seen that...

TDS do you really think its smart to come onto a purebreed dog forum, insult all show dog exhibitors insult other dog owners and dog trainers???

The fact that you have been "lurking" also makes me wonder

"....troll..."

did somebody say something???

BTW I have trained my dogs to multiple titles in multiple dog sports (no bimbo show ring stuff here) and I believe that I can stand by my own credentials. putting on flame suit now.

See for someone who has only ever made 2 posts on this whole forum basically gives you no credentials on here. No one knows you. Could your comment be any more generalised??? training mulitple dogs in multiple sports doesnt really scream out credentials to me.

Just a question how many dolphins have you trained?