Feeding A Overweight Golden Retriever

What kind of variety does Hills prescription has? Would all vets know? My vet is kinda retired old man. :rofl: I thought of trying something for my obese old maltese.

ETA: For ever hungry overweight dogs, I know you can put grated carrot into dog's diet for some bulk. My maltese is picky though, won't eat the carrot, sigh.

Edited by flycow

Flycow - it's Hills Perscription r/d that you want for a dog diet, and w/d after they've lost enough weight for maintanance, unless you're careful and switch over to another diet, but keep an eye on weight, and adjust food consumption accordingly.

The Vet or senior Vet Nurse should know about r/d as the hills reps would have been flogging the "pet slimmer of the year" competition to them at the start of the year.

-WithEverythingIAm

While Hills r/d is the choice of many vets, our experience with many obese doggies coming in has been that using Hills Light or another quality light product - and using it properly - will always work. Dogs are no different from people - restrict the calories, increase the activity and lose the weight.

Sags

What happens if there's health concerns? Wouldn't getting it from the vet so he can monitor be better than just trying on my own? My maltese has a list of problems from skin to hips, now I just hope to extend his lifespan by getting him on a proper diet. LOL

If there are health concerns then of course your vet is an important source of knowledge and experience. Some vets really do understand nutrition - while others have only undertaken the basics. Keep in mind that several petfood companies are closely involved in the nutrition side of vet training (please understand I am not saying this applies to all vets as my own vet, for example, has educated himself in many other facets of nutrition post graduating). This sometimes means that when it comes to issues such as weight, that a vet will go with the prescription diets that are readily available to them. Not a bad thing, but certainly not the only option.

:)

If there are health concerns then of course your vet is an important source of knowledge and experience. Some vets really do understand nutrition - while others have only undertaken the basics. Keep in mind that several petfood companies are closely involved in the nutrition side of vet training (please understand I am not saying this applies to all vets as my own vet, for example, has educated himself in many other facets of nutrition post graduating). This sometimes means that when it comes to issues such as weight, that a vet will go with the prescription diets that are readily available to them. Not a bad thing, but certainly not the only option.

:)

Not a lot of money to be made in selling dog food Sags. If that is what you're getting at?

Also, not many people have time to whip up a batch of BARF every few days, and to get the right fat:protein:phosperous ratios.

BTW - I'm now a BARF feeder to both my dogs (which they were on before when my parents were looking after them whilst we were looking for a house, but they had no idea as to proportions no matter how much I told them to give!). My Boxer is on a high fat/protein diet for his different performance sports, whilst the Lab is on a low protein/fat diet to keep her in tip-top shape.

-WithEverythingIAm

give a marrowbone it will take his mind of his diet.

Gees, wish I could try that...does gnawing on a chocolate have the same effect on humans :rolleyes:

Actually it's time for mother (me) and daughter (Bella) to get serious about some weight loss. We're like the two-fat-ladies when we go for a walk/run! :thumbsup:

Hi Again,

I have always fed my dogs on these types of food, they have all died of old age after living healthy and active lives...

Carla