Forced Retrieve Versus Other Methods

If my dog is not in the correct position (eg not close enough at heel or recall) I reissue the command for the position I want. So I can adjust heel position by saying "Heel!" and front position with "Come!"

I do use a Hold command in initial retrieve stages as it is a different command to Fetch - you can have the dog hold any object this way, and heel the dog holding the object etc.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi MrsD

Me either! My comments are based on obedience as well. I would love to watch a retreiving trial and learn it but I doubt my Bull Terrier or Staffy would be very interested! :rofl::rofl::eek::eek:

My sheltie wouldnt be much use for retrieving - the bird would be bigger than him :rofl::rofl: .

If my dog is not in the correct position (eg not close enough at heel or recall) I reissue the command for the position I want. So I can adjust heel position by saying "Heel!" and front position with "Come!"

Hey Kavik, that's interesting, I was just thinking about how many things the command "heel" actually means. Many people use it to mean "move forward with me when I step off on my left leg" as well as "go around behind me to heel position" in the finish of the recall, I guess there are plenty of people who if the dog was lagging or had wandered off also would tell their dog to "heel" (so in this case it means "catch up & come over to heel position") & you use it as a correction for a incorrect postion.

Very very versatile word :rofl: .

I'd take a guess & say that if my former dogs were sitting crookedly at heel & I told them to "heel" (without moving off) they would probably circle me (like the finish of the recall) back to heel position. But that's because I have taught them close as a position correction, to them "heel" only means "go around to heel position" or "walk next to my left side".

just gently guide the dog physically into the correct position using lots of praise. I cant see merrit in continually verbally correcting or warning during a retreiving trial as in that thread. To me its training the dog to not bother remembering.

Plus it isn't good for muscle memory. If you get it right initially, the dog will adjust itself if it happens to get into in the wrong position.

cheers

M-J

• 3 weeks later...

hELLO ALL I have been reading all of your comments

I hope it's okay to jump in with my pennies worth ,I have a Malt/shihtz

had real trouble with lagging and although K9 offered advice unfortunatly I could afford the cost but Steve gave me some pointers for drive . It's just not there .so backtracked to use the old [new to me ]

"doodling " walking and using food and being unpredictable some times throwing food ahead then always turning beside her for her to have her heal placing I did that for about 3mths .We now have our CD tiltle taking second place as well YEA !!!

started on open and that too will be a challenage , didn't like fetch /retrieve call it either , pushed on an resorted to a "Panda bear"

worked until I took it out of my back yard SO off to other grounds

she is coming around slowly . we are trying for d/bell hold

WOW!! thats a big ask but patience will win out .{IDEAS please ]

So with all that I have written what I am trying to say is collars etc; afraid my one is patience and it's hard to keep sometimes .

thanks for reading this I just wanted to say something

cheers Glorybea

well done glory your doing great. Hard to give ideas over the net patience s a virtue isnt it really its all in the timing and breaking it down so she can be successful knowing when to ask for more wehn to back off less is more is the best thing to remember i would prefer to break off training a bit soon than try to push and do to much. are you triaing with anyone that cn help you with timing and make suggestions based on your dogs situation