End Of The Year

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ness's achievements for the year are:

The biggy obtaining her CDX in 3 straight trials while living interstate in a family of 3 other dogs (anybody knows its hard enough to pass in the minimum number at the best of times and to go from being an only dog to being one of three is quite a leap).

Getting not 1 BUT 2 Masters Jumping Passes (anybody would have thought our last one was our title but its been the only pass we have got under a SA judge (which is why we still haven't got a title as we live in SA) and it had been at the end of a very long triple trial in fairly warm conditions).

Getting a novice Strategic Pairs title (2 legs over in WA and 1 leg last weekend at the Police expo).

Also managed a couple of legs towards her novice gamblers title - 1 more to go next year but I am saving that one for the Nationals.

Another excellent agility pass and first place to boot and looking like she has finally got over the table problem that kept us in novice/excellent agility for so long.

Training wise: Learning UD scent discrimination in the last month - very impressed with that since I have never taught a dog anything utility wise before.

Here is to an equally successful 2007.

Edited by ness

It's not a huge achievement, but I've worked with Molly consistently since I adopted her in Nov 05. She was quite frightened of men, some other dogs, loud noises, things moving...you get the idea. She was also not 'trained' including not being toilet trained.

Molly now trusts some men to the point where she will approach without fear (it takes some coaxing but she's much better than 13 mths ago). She isn't so scared of noises and managed VERY well with the long weekend fireworks in June. She also no longer freaks out if something moves suddenly. She's actually a very cheeky dog now...and I'm sure that was always there but it was hidden.

She's house trained...mostly. She sometimes has a little accident. But we forgive her that b/c she's only little and she can be on her own all day when we are at work. I have thought about litter training her and am still considering that option.

Other than that, she's reliable off lead now...has a good recall (if she wanders more than five metres from my side at all!), is capable of 'waiting' until I signal her to eat...is very competent with hand signals alone now after me teaching her with voice and hand signals together.

I've given up on the others :D ...except my foster Piper! She's a "work in progress"... :)

I *would* like to get Molly into formal obedience classes with the aim of gaining some titles. Eventually. :rofl:

I started Maddy in obedience. Stopped after two terms though. We still do some here at home. I also started agility with Spencer. He has gotten sooo much better, in both agility and his daily manners. Before he would chase the other dogs, bark at everything that moved, and totally ignore me. Now he's great.

My aims for next year are to start trialing Spencer in agility, and to start Maddy in agility.

What a nice thread! Congratulations to everyone on their wonderful achievements!

We have had a dream year this year. I started trialling Trim in agility just over 12 months ago. Although we are not in a position to trial every weekend like many, we have managed to achieve quite a lot in a relatively short time.

She earnt her Novice Agility Title with 3 consecutive 1st places

She earnt her Novice Jumping Title with 3 consecutive 1st places, including an amazing 14 second run.

She earnt her Excellent Jumping Title with 3 1sts, 1 2nd and a 9th (LOL, I fell over).

She also has a few legs towards her Master Jumping, Excellent Agility, Open Agility, Snooker & Strategic Pairs titles.

We also won 3 of the 12 Heats of the RQH Jumping Dog of the Year.

and...

:laugh: WE WON THE NATIONAL EXCELLENT JUMPING CHAMPION FINAL! :)

It's going to be a hard act to follow, but I am so excited about continuing our success next year and hopefully spending some more time on sheep as well.

Edited by Vickie

Wow - what fantastic achievements from everyone! (and a special congrats to Poodlefan and FHR :thumbsup:)

We are not at trialling level yet, but still :

Peebs: went from level 1 to level 3 agility training (where we've been for 6 months :rofl: )

Nessie: Passed intermediate obedience in a 'private' test held for her without any pesky strangers :rofl: . She has started agility now. My highlight for her this year is seeing the joy on her face when we go to agility class (as opposed to the fear when we went to obedience)

Blossom: Well what can I say ... we repeated PUPPY class :p (probably the first time in the club's history) but by the time we got to beginners all her 'small dog' issues were gone :rofl: . She's my shining star in obedience, and she loves it too. Her focus is great, and she manages to make me laugh even during boring stays :love:

For next year:

Peebs and I will be LEARNING TO WEAVE if it kills me ;)

Nessie will continue in level 1 agility training for as long as it takes. I dont really expect her to get to level 2.

Blossom still havent decided. Probably Advanced and transition obedience ... then who knows - it depends what she likes once we get to that stage. I had planned to take her through agility - she has the spunk and probably the desire, but maybe not the physical ability.

Congrats on a super year Vickie :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of dusting off my boots and coming in from the paddock to give agililty a go. I reckon I've got a setter that could give your herding dogs a run for their money. Like you I wouldn't be able to attend class every week, I assume you do most of your training at home - any tips you'd care to share?

Congrats again on an outstanding year.

Congrats on a super year Vickie :rolleyes:

THANK YOU!

I'm thinking of dusting off my boots and coming in from the paddock to give agililty a go. I reckon I've got a setter that could give your herding dogs a run for their money. Like you I wouldn't be able to attend class every week, I assume you do most of your training at home - any tips you'd care to share?

Yep! Foundation training & research. Every time I do a seminar I realise how little I know & how much of foundation training I have skipped (and I have probably done double the average agility person in Aust.). Trim is an amazing athlete and a very biddable dog. She has all the right ingredients, but she is not anywhere near her potential yet. I have a heap of work ahead of me & I'm looking forward to it.

I did most of our foundation at home, as I couldn't find a club who trained the way I wanted to.

I think one of the biggest tips is that anything too complex for you to learn/coordinate is too complex/ambiguous for your dog. A few rules that you are 100% consistent with, I think is the key to success. Coming from a high level in training your dogs, you will already have a headstart in these areas over many.

I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences with your setter. There are a heap of great agility trainers on DOL, so no doubt you will get all the help you need.

I will PM you an article I wrote about start lines, not in order to tell you how to teach them but b/c I think it gives a good idea of the consistency & ideals I want to train with.

To many people what I have achieved this year would be unimpressive to them, but to me they have been major achievements.

I completed a few agility courses in trials!!!!!!!! :)

In the previous year when I started competing we never completed even one course, my Froggy gets so hyped up and goes absolutely balistic.

We this year even got a few firsts, but the elusive(sp) clear round is still to come.... :rofl: NEXT YEAR for sure :rofl:

This year we also started working on tricks, they are going SUPER!!!