Dog Has Fits Every So Often.

Firstly, to clear up an obvious misconception that runs through this thread..... a good proportion of seizures that are experienced by both humans, cats and dogs have no 'known' cause.

You forgot the rest of that sentence, Diamond, and I think that last bit is very important.

Cheers.

Edited by raz

it is this comment that i was referring to Puggles

I think you are far too sensitive to what is written in these threads. You have jumped on one or two bits from my post and then decided they were aimed at you.

there were 5 responses up to where you posted this, so my point is that I was included to contribute to this misconception about seizures.

And then this could make me think you are now being paranoid. I mean this in a nice way. Not every comment that everyone makes after you post a comment is referring to you or anything that you have written. Some threads may end up with a dozen or more sideline conversations. Most people tend to pick up only on certain points in a thread... which is what I did.

it just puzzles me why drugs would be used as an example thats all and not snake bites as was your example raz. i couldnt think of decent human that would do that to a dog... but then again i just answered my own confusion... 'decent human' if everyone were a decent human there wouldnt be the number of dogs being dumped... anyway thats another topic

Raz used snake bites as an example as that is what came to mind for her because she has experienced this scenario personally. I happen to have experienced exposure to dogs that have seizures due to being given drugs. Simple. No devious intentions. The idea of drugs being given to dogs and causing epilepsy shocked me senseless when I first became aware of it so it is something that sticks in mind. I can't imagine why you even think I was referring to anyone here giving their dogs drugs.

Secondly, I was trying to give a wide variety of possible causes for epilepsy and so I used as many examples that came to my head to show how varied the causes for the condition are.

Hopefully this can be put to bed now as it is causing the thread to go off topic. I am sorry that you feel my comments somehow maligned you but I also believe that you are creating a debate over nothing. The written word is not always easy to interpret. I suggest that before you jump next time you ask for clarification on the comments made. :thumbsup:

You have raised an important point Puggles....the number of people that give their dog human medicine is unbelievable; you would think that common sense would prevail but some people lack this important trait to the detriment of animals.

Thanks Raz, I didn't know the right term for snake breeders, learnt something today :thumbsup:

Edited by Zorro_007

My dog had a seizure around a month ago very scary,resulted in a trip to emergency then nothing since, then this afternoon after another dog was dropped off that I am babysitting over christmas, I thought he was going into another one he yelped a couple of times and lay down fully concious etc but didnt want to move for a little while I am thinking they are brought on with him by excitement :thumbsup: I grabbed the video camera to film it but he didnt go into a seizure weird but puzzling....

I grabbed the video camera to film it but he didnt go into a seizure weird but puzzling....

Monte can sometimes have the strangest of seizures. Some of them are what are referred to as focal seizures. A focal is when only a portion of the brain is affected by the seizure. The results can range from anything from staring into space for a few seconds or minutes to snapping at mysterious flys.

The ones I have witnessed make Monte appear to be gagging or choking. He will sometimes fall down and roll over but more often will just stagger like he is drunk. These always happen when he is eating. Literally within seconds he is eating again as if nothing happend and I sit there and think "Did I just see that?"

They can be really scary though. I hope you are able to film it and get the episode assesed.

Edited by Puggles

Thanks to all of you!!

It puts me at ease to hear how many, little dogs especially, have seizures.

She was vaccinated back in march and it was her 2yr shot.

We have swapped food around but don't know if that helped because she has had a couple since.

The blood sugar thing might be a goer. She is a little over weight but she does not eat alot. We only give them tin food once a day but they have dry food other times.

There is plenty of water for her and she does keep cool.

Can dogs have a high natural body temp because she lies on the tiles alot obviously to keep cool.

Our last house, which we lived for nearly 18 months of her life is when the fits started so I'm hoping a new house and new yard might help her also.

Anyways thanks all. Will keep posted.

Since this is his second episode although very minor this time maybe Epilepsy meds are in order...

Puggles might confirm this for me but after only 2 seizures I wouldnt be putting a dog on epilepsy medication, varicool. Ofcourse discuss it with your vet. My dog would have to be having pretty regular episodes before I'd consider the meds, but Puggles is definitely the person to discuss that with. She was a great help for me last time my boy had one.

Once again I'll leave this for puggles to confirm or correct but I think meds are only an option for frequent and/or serious seizures, Varicool. At this point in time my bloke wont be going on medication. He's only had a few and vet said they're petit mal so they certainly arent causing him a huge problem. It's probably more a problem for his humans watching him when he's having one. Poor little bugger but as Puggles mentioned with her guy, they just get up and carry on as if nothing happened.

Always best to discuss with your Vet but as a general rule dogs are not usually put onto medication if the seizures are infrequent and or only focal.

It is something that needs to be weighed up once you have all of the appropriate advice as the drugs used to control seizures have their drawbacks.

In my dog's case, we have no choice but to medicate as his seizures are severe and he has a good chance of dying from them. He probably still will anyway as they are only partially controlled with his medication.

He is now closer to 5 years then 4 and is still going strong so I am hopeful he will live to a ripe old age.