Complcated Extra Extra Help Needed

tommygirl3669

Well, my dog had puppies back in april of this year, and we passed the 2 pups onto family. My father in law is no longer able to care for him, and he hasn't seen his mum since leaving the pack back in july.

What is the best way to reaquaint?

How can I be fair to both of them?

At the moment they are rustling around, no growling or anything, but is this fighting or playing?

He is very intelligent, but has a problem, when he gets excited, he has a loss of bladder control...not a full wee, but a little wee.

Should I put htem into the same room to sleep tonight?

Any other thoughts and help is appreciated

Thanking you

Charene

He is either peeing because he is excited, showing submission, or a bit scared.

If they are getting on ok, let them sleep together. If they were going to have a brawl, it would have happened by now, and he knows where he is. Whether his mother acknowledges him is another matter. If you are relaxed about the whole thing, it will be ok. The difficult part would have been when he first arrived.

I don't know wether they were fighting or not? any ideas on how to identify it?

She is desexed, he is not.

He pees excitedly, but is there any way of fixing it?

They are not growling at eachother.

I only have the 2. Mum came pregnant to me, and I raised her pups and her, and then it was jus her for the last 6 months or so.

From what I understand, you should give first dibs, so to speak, on everything to the first/original dog (mum), this should control any potential fighting over "pack hierarchy". You (and any humans) are at the top, mum dog is next, then son. So mum should meal first, first pats/cuddles, best stuff first - no need to neglect younger dog, but it just makes older dog feel secure and newer dog will (hopefully) just slip into his new place in the pack.

This is one way to go about it and it has worked for me. :love: Gook luck!

Editing to add... dogs (though not all) love to rough house, and you will probably be pretty sure if they have a serious tiff. My old girl and my brothers dog bark and growl and wrestle, but their body language remains relaxed. When Fenria (old girl) has had enough she lets Odin know and he backs off. And she is half his size (red cattle dog vs Irish wolfhound x ridgeback)!

Maybe you could check out some books from the local library to familiarize yourself with some images of doggy behaviour and body language? Might make you feel more at ease and/or put your worries to rest.

Edited by belijae

I don't know wether they were fighting or not? any ideas on how to identify it?

My two play all day, they drive me mad, they bark and growl and grab each other but i can tell it is play

they have had one or 2 fights, and i could tell the difference, they were a lot quiter - kaos backed off straight away (normally a full on dog when playing) and the both had different movements.

Hope they settle down and learn to live together1

From what I understand, you should give first dibs, so to speak, on everything to the first/original dog (mum), this should control any potential fighting over "pack hierarchy". You (and any humans) are at the top, mum dog is next, then son. So mum should meal first, first pats/cuddles, best stuff first - no need to neglect younger dog, but it just makes older dog feel secure and newer dog will (hopefully) just slip into his new place in the pack.

This is one way to go about it and it has worked for me. :love: Gook luck!

Editing to add... dogs (though not all) love to rough house, and you will probably be pretty sure if they have a serious tiff. My old girl and my brothers dog bark and growl and wrestle, but their body language remains relaxed. When Fenria (old girl) has had enough she lets Odin know and he backs off. And she is half his size (red cattle dog vs Irish wolfhound x ridgeback)!

Maybe you could check out some books from the local library to familiarize yourself with some images of doggy behaviour and body language? Might make you feel more at ease and/or put your worries to rest.

Well yes. I have a busy household. A hubby who works 12 hour days, and a 21/2 year old and a 9 month old...very very busy. BUt I hope this arrangement will work out

:love:

Thanking you

I regularly babysit the dogs we have bred. Mum never forgets her babies even 2 years on, gives them a bit of a lecture when they arrive, lays down the law and they all get along like a family again. They'll work out their own heirarchy and he'll be grateful of the company. It's not quite like training toddlers to get along so don't stress too much and enjoy the humour of their interaction.

I regularly babysit the dogs we have bred. Mum never forgets her babies even 2 years on, gives them a bit of a lecture when they arrive, lays down the law and they all get along like a family again. They'll work out their own heirarchy and he'll be grateful of the company. It's not quite like training toddlers to get along so don't stress too much and enjoy the humour of their interaction.

Thanking you. I hope it isn't as full on, but at the moment they seem to get along fine. Mum is establishing that she is the alpha dog, but other than that they are fine.

I was also wondering wether anyone has suggestions about removing burrs from dogs hair?

I am concerned about his excited weeing, but is that a normal experience for puppy owners?

Please everyone, let me know

Thanking everyone so much

CHarene

Thanking you. I hope it isn't as full on, but at the moment they seem to get along fine. Mum is establishing that she is the alpha dog, but other than that they are fine.

I was also wondering wether anyone has suggestions about removing burrs from dogs hair?

I am concerned about his excited weeing, but is that a normal experience for puppy owners?

Please everyone, let me know

Thanking everyone so much

CHarene

I have an all-terrain yard and 3 Westies so Paterson's curse and Cobbler's pegs are a way of life for us. Long hair and burrs don't go well but relatively easy to remove. Just hold the burr with one hand and pull small strands of hair out from the burr with the other hand. I don't find using implements of any benefit as it hurts them more than the hold and pull method. It's virtually the same as pulling chewing gum out of hair.

The exited peeing will ease as the excitement does. You can also try to cut down the excitement by politely ignoring him and speaking in a deeper calm tone when you greet him. High pitched tones mean excitement, lower or middle ground tones are used for commands and gruff low pitched tones are used when grumpy or disciplining.