Learning To Fly

bret

I have enrolled in the NDTRF course for this years distance learning section. and it seems i have to go down to melbourne 2 times. I have until may before i fly out, but i would like as much info as you guys can give me on preparing maiya (9month old b/c) for her first flight.

the travel agent at melbourne who i am booking the flights through, said that they can arrange a crate for maiya when i get there, i will have to buy one now the same size as the one they will give me and train her in that.

any help would be awesome

cheers

bret

I have no advice on the preparing for flying part, but if you buy a crate that is rated for flying, you should be able to use your own crate and save $$$. The bonus to this is it will have her own smells in it which will probably be comforting to her. And it acts as a bed for her while you're staying down in melbourne.

but if you buy a crate that is rated for flying, you should be able to use your own crate and save $$$.

where would i look for one of these that is a little on the cheaper side and rated for flying?

i bought my dogs crate from dogtainers. i think it was around the $60 mark (can't remember exactly). It is a rather large one.

my dog is 11 months old and he has flown a few times with us. we put a towel in the crate and some of his toys. It doesn't seem to faze him at all.

Depends what airlines your flying as to what crate would be suitable.Virgin only except solid crates or vari kennels.(varis arent cheap & very hard to come by)basically with virgin unless you own the right crate you will have to hire

Qantas still accept fold up crates.

A crate for a b,collie will cost around the $150 plus range.

You cant get a dog use to flying but if they enjoy there crate it makes life easier

When it comes to your crate it must be sturdy & secure for flying if it isnt they will refuse to fly the dog.A good quality crate will last forever a cheapy will not.

Agree with what Showdog says.....

Buy a good one, they will last a long time.

You may not need it very often but when you do need it, you REALLY need it.

We have used ours to send a pup to Tasmania.... told the people "next time you "drive" over to see your family etc.....

bring it back.... worked out well.

Just make sure that the dog is crate trained before you need to fly her, putting her into a crate if she's never been crated before will probably cause her more stress than the flight itself. Most dogs fly with no problems.