C7 Vaccinations.

Tia

All the obedience clubs i know of you have to have a C5, because with so many dogs around you need the Kennel Cough vaccine.

Not sure about trialling, i show and trial in flyball and have never been asked for a vaccination certificate. Suppose they reckon everyone needs to train at a club to get too a certain level so has a current vaccination.

Edited by tollersowned

Unless your dogs are travelling to the tropics, there is NO need for a C7...leptospirosis is the disease in question and it doesn't occur in temperature or cool climate regions, only in the wet, humid tropics.

This is not necessarily so, as C7 covers corona virus.

I have never used C7 until recently when there was a big outbreak of parvo/viruses. I spoke to the vet about the viruses which were going around and he told me to get the C7 because he was finding that dogs vaccinated for Corona (which is the C7) were in fact faring better against the recent outbreak of gut viruses which were being attributed to parvo, many of which were quite possibly not parvo but corona.

I will not use C7 as a rule in future, but should there be another bad outbreak of viruses like there was recently, I will consider it again.

My dog had no adverse reactions from it at all and I had no trouble with viruses either.

Unless your dogs are travelling to the tropics, there is NO need for a C7...leptospirosis is the disease in question and it doesn't occur in temperature or cool climate regions, only in the wet, humid tropics.

This is not necessarily so, as C7 covers corona virus.

I have never used C7 until recently when there was a big outbreak of parvo/viruses. I spoke to the vet about the viruses which were going around and he told me to get the C7 because he was finding that dogs vaccinated for Corona (which is the C7) were in fact faring better against the recent outbreak of gut viruses which were being attributed to parvo, many of which were quite possibly not parvo but corona.

I will not use C7 as a rule in future, but should there be another bad outbreak of viruses like there was recently, I will consider it again.

My dog had no adverse reactions from it at all and I had no trouble with viruses either.

And the portion of my post that you quoted assumes that you read the whole post to which I was replying. Tia already mentioned 'corona' - my post was simply adding the name of the other virus that makes up the C7 vaccine...leptospirosis. It was lepto that I was referring to in the post that you've quoted me when I said that a C7 isn't necessary IF your vet is indicating it is necessary for lepto b/c lepto only occurs in the wet tropics. Tia made no mention of the necessity or otherwise of vaccinating against corona and b/c I've never had a (southern) vet recommend a C7, I do find it a little odd that a vet would ONLY offer a C7. Whatever happened to choice, to informing the consumer as to the genuine need for a particular course of action, of vets being open and honest with their clients?

Personally, I would only opt for a C7 in the wet tropics. Or if my dogs had been vaccinated with C5 and we moved to a tropical location part-way through their vax-year, I'd opt for the lepto-only component. It works out more expensive in dollar terms, but I wouldn't be over-vaccinating my dogs, which is also a consideration for me. :rolleyes:

BTW - lepto is virtually always fatal to dogs. It's not something to take lightly at all.

C7 is only useful for certain areas .

I wouldnt be using it as dogs can react to Lepto .

I would be asking the vet if they vaccinate 6 week olds with c7 because i cannot believe a vet would be stupid enough to do c7 only.

Otherwise find another vet & tell them why you are doing so

Showdog,

We have rats and mice here (small plague at the moment) - we live in a commercial strip, Lola has already caught at least 1/2 dozen rats.. I know nothing about this extra vaccination - would you advise it for us??

C7 is only useful for certain areas .

I wouldnt be using it as dogs can react to Lepto .

I would be asking the vet if they vaccinate 6 week olds with c7 because i cannot believe a vet would be stupid enough to do c7 only.

Otherwise find another vet & tell them why you are doing so

Showdog,

We have rats and mice here (small plague at the moment) - we live in a commercial strip, Lola has already caught at least 1/2 dozen rats.. I know nothing about this extra vaccination - would you advise it for us??

If you live in the wet tropics, then yes - your dogs should be vaccinated against lepto.

If you do not live in the wet tropics, then no - your dogs don't need protecting from a disease that doesn't exist where you live.

C 7 Ripp-off. My son went to a vet who wanted to give his dog a C 7, which was due the following week. as all our dogs get the C 5, I asked my vet who said it was not necessary. my son saved some money by going elsewere. I had never heard of a C 7 my dogs go to All Breeds Training and must have the C 5.