Dewormer For Puppies

laffi

I am getting all the necessary stuff to welcome my golden retriever puppy. I was wondering if a dewormer like Advocate for example "a must" for a puppy owner? What are are medicines I should consider buying for my pup?

Thanks!

maria and laffi

I am getting all the necessary stuff to welcome my golden retriever puppy. I was wondering if a dewormer like Advocate for example "a must" for a puppy owner? What are are medicines I should consider buying for my pup?

Thanks!

maria and laffi

Laffi

Congratulations on your new puppy. Good to see you're getting prepared! You don't need to buy medicines yet as the breeder will tell you exactly what you need. If you're not getting them from a breeder then your vet will let you know. You should always get a new puppy health checked by a vet who will give you advice for looking after them and giving them medicines. They will need vaccinations and microchipping as well.

I always got a huge list from the breeder on exactly what to give and when.

Have fun :)

Puppies are born with worms and should be treated fortnightly from two weeks of age until three months, monthly until six months and every three to six months thereafter. Advocate isn't the only alternative, ask your breeder what he/she recommends.

Ask your breeder dont get caught in the trap of asking the vet,they will flog you stuff that is overpriced & not always the best suited to your breed.

All wormers dont need to be purchased from the vet you can use good old exelpet from the supermarkets.

Infact the supermarket range of flea/tick/heartworms/all wormers are more than suitable & well priced.

Right that down on your ask the breeder list,the breeder will tell you what schedule the pup is on for worming so just follow through.

Some breeds can react to some of the sentinal,advantage/advocate etc so again ask your breed.

Personally with our dogs we dont use the all in ones.If the dogs dont have fleas we dont treat them ,we do heartworm seperate & worming seperate.

The only time i use an all in one is when i fly east to dogshows & due to there being other animals on the flights that may have bugs.

Dont rush out all these things are easy to purchase after you have spoken to the breeder

As has already been said the breeder will tell you what you need to know. And a good breeder will be more than willing to help.

I have a 11 week old Labrador and a 10 month Labrador from the same breeder and I have spoken to her regularly in the time that I have had them and have found that 1 it is cheaper to get an answer from her than a vet and they really do have a wealth of knowledge.