What Breed?

Ker

Hi.

Some time later this year, I want to buy a dog. I lost my dog early last year and haven't been ready to get one yet. I must confess I love the "DD's" but won't buy one, because I will not support puppy farms. My criteria are:

Small (no larger than say, a Cocker or a beagle).

VERY good with kids (I have 2).

VERY good with cats (I have 3).

Not requiring huge amounts of exercise (as in I don't want a dog I need to jog with, but a walk to the park with the kids would be great).

I don't mind brushing and bathing, but I don't want something I have to brush twice a day.

Fairly easy to train.

Not destructive.

So far, I have looked at a Cavalier, a Cocker, a Beagle and a West Highland. These are all dogs I like, and I will be buying from a registered breeder (will call ACA when ready to purchase), but I'd like some ideas on what these breeds are like first.

Thanks!

Ker.

If you want good with cats and not destructive, probably best not to get a terrier (Westies are one) - as they were bred to be ratters, and may like a chase and dig.

Cavaliers are nice little dogs,as are Cockers, but Cockers have more hair and are larger, and probably would like more exercise than a Cavvy too.

Beagles - Because they like to scent they may not be that easy to train.

hey, Beagles dig alot and have a very good sense of smell, i was told this is a dog that needs to be taken out alot walks etc.(a friend of mine was going to get one) but got turned off by the digging problem.

West Highland cute little dogs need to be brushed everyday you could probley get away with every second day.

not sure about the other breeds, my advice would be to email breeders of the type of dog you want they are the best people to talk too.

Hi and welcome

Of the breeds you have mentiond so far 3 need clipping and regular grooming and although I love beagles they can be destructive as you need to entertain there minds. off the top of my head I can't think of any other than a jack but then they can be distructive too.

There are a few pet selector things around, I think Pedigree does one. You could try these.

If you like the look of the dd but don't want to support it then you could try rescue, but you may not get a little pupbut at least you would have an idea of temprment. (the other prob of a dd)

Have you considered a Pug, from a Canine Council Registered Breeder? Do a little research on the Pug or I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have. The Pug is a wonderful family breed.

There is also a world of difference between a " breeder" that is registered with their local council and a " reputable breeder" who will have a prefix from the Canine Council in their state.

Whatever breed you choose, do your research, visit some dog shows in your area and have a chat to some breeders about your plans and if their chosen breed, will suit your family situation. Also check if the puppy you are purchasing comes from parents that have had the appropriate health checks for the breed.

:thumbsup:

Depends on the temperament of the dog. I can say without a word of a lie, that of my two beagles ONE has dug in the garden ONCE. They will do a bit of a dig on the beach, but that's it. If your dog is not bored, regardless of the breed, it probably won't dig. Even if mine did dig, I wouldn't really care a bit, I'd change the garden to suit if possible, but no way would I sacrifice not having the love of a beagle.

So don't rule beagles out :D but also know that they CANNOT be trusted off lead and have no road sense. Oh, and in some regards they can be easy to train BECAUSE they like to scent. They can be stubborn at times though, but who wants a robot?

Welcome to DOL. Why would you be calling A Current Affair when you're ready to get a dog? :thumbsup:

ETA: some more.

Edited by caffiend42

So far, I have looked at a Cavalier, a Cocker, a Beagle and a West Highland. These are all dogs I like, and I will be buying from a registered breeder (will call ACA when ready to purchase), but I'd like some ideas on what these breeds are like first.

Firstly, you will NOT get a registered pup from ACA kennel. They are mass producers of all sorts of crossbreeds and I believe they are supplied by puppy farms.

A cocker would probably suit your situation, they love their exercise, but can be happy with half to one hour a day, preferably off lead. If you keep them in full coat you are looking at brushing at least every second day.

Would be good with cats if introduced when they are little and taught that the cat is to be respected :thumbsup:

For a registered puppy you will find plenty of available pups here

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppie...ker-spaniel.asp

Sorry, I meant SACA...South Australian Canine Association. :mad Duh@me. Would they be all right to call regarding a breeder?

No offence to anyone who breeds/likes them, but I'm not a pug fan. Not sure why...just not to my taste. I love the little "fluffy" looking ones (yeah, yeah, I know...), although beagles aren't very fluffy. I'm not sure what it is about the beagles that I love - they just have adorable faces, as do the other dogs I mentioned.

I've seen the most gorgeous little crossbreeds in a well known pet shop chain and walked away. I confess my last dog was a Maltese X Shih tzu (beautiful, gorgeous dog) from a pet shop, but when I bought her, I had not the slightest idea about puppy farms...now I do, and I can't knowingly support that trade.

Anyway, thanks to all those who answered. I have some more thinking to do and PLENTY of time to get a dog. I'm not in any rush. I do miss my dog though, and so does my son.

Shelties are GREAT with cats - good with kids (as long as they are raised with them) and require little grooming while still looking great! Not sure on the exercise... if you had somewhere they could free run then that would be ok - I just take Lana for walks - but she always has a run with our other dog cuz we can walk off lead... VERY trainable!

If you are fine with not letting a beagle off lead (unless its in a fully fenced leash free area), then don't be put off with all this talk of digging and hard to train talk.

I have 2 of my own girls and won't be without one ever again. I have also fostered 8 beagles and not one has dug a hole in my yard or tried to escape (unlike some other dogs I've looked after :p ). SACA is a good place to start looking for a registered breeder, you could try the breed pages on DOL or visit some dog shows in your area to meet the breeders and their dogs.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to find out more about living with beagles :)

Good luck in your search

Finn

post-13685-1170808223_thumb.jpg

Milli

post-13685-1170808197_thumb.jpg

Heaps more.

*puts on flame suit* You mentioned the dog would be out side most of the time. A lot of rescue dogs have hardly had the privladge of living indoors so I'm sure they would be happy with a nice warm kennel to live in as well as lots of love and attention.

Edited by WorkingHard

*puts on flame suit* You mentioned the dog would be out side most of the time. A lot of rescue dogs have hardly had the privladge of living indoors so I'm sure they would be happy with a nice warm kennel to live in as well as lots of love and attention.

Sorry I missed the part where it was said this dog would be outside most of the time :) If it was a beagle would become destructive and dig, if left alone, but then 2 beagles would occupy each other (well its a good excuse for having 2 of them :p ) But also WorkingHard has a point that the pound and rescue dogs would feel very privileged to just know love and if researched properly a rescue may be found who would be happy to stay in the yard as long as there was still loads of family interaction at some point during the day/night.

Sorry, I meant SACA...South Australian Canine Association. :p Duh@me. Would they be all right to call regarding a breeder?

Whoops! :hug: What a difference a letter makes!

You can also check out the dog breeds section on this website - they have a list of breeders that can be contacted under each breed. :)

Psssst...go the beagle :o:rofl:

God, that pet rescue site is EVIL! I want to take home ALL the dogs on there, hahaha. I hd no idea that there were so many SWF's on there - when I went to Animal Welfare League a few years back, there were very few "little" dogs - mainly kelpies and Heelers. While I have nothing against them, I live in suburbia and so my yard isn't suitable for such an active dog and they are a LOT bigger than what I want. I have had cats from AWL and the satisfaction I have had saving an animal from a certain death and the love they give me is amazing. One of my rescues from Death Row is a 14 year old moggie now, and STILL going strong.

Whatever dog I get won't be inside all the time, and won't be outside all the time either. I have nothing against a dog sleeping in a basket inside the house (my cats sleep inside too, although confined to one room) - I'd prefer it actually. I do have very good fencing on my house. When my son is playing outside, I would hope the dog would be more than happy to play outside with him, and I'd also love a dog that would curl up on my lap to watch TV at night.

There are quite a few on Pet Rescue that I love the look of - Finn for one, melted my heart. I was looking for a desexed female, but that's simply because all my cats are (desexed) males. I can cope with another male in the house :p My daughter and I will be a bit outnumbered, but we'll cope :)

Thank you SO much to everyone who has posted on here. I've pretty much made my mind up to go with a rescue when I'm ready. I just think I'd feel better getting a dog who's temperament is known (especially important with the kids) and I'd love to give affection and attention to one who hasn't known much as yet.