Whining Puppy

rooster78

We just got our pup home today and of course I expect some noise. He seems to be happy enough (he is sound asleep on the cool tiles right now) and playing with us and his toys but the whole time sounds like he is whining - I dont know if that is just the noise he makes or if he is upset...

Look, if it's his first day home there's bound to be some crying, whining even howling going on. You've just separated him from his littermates and he's on his lonesome.

It will get better.

It's very important that you start as you mean to go on - that is - don't give in to temptation and go and cuddle him every 5 minutes to shut him up - that's rewarding his noise and DON'T let him up on your bed (please take this from personal experience). Shove some cotton wool in your ears and ignore the noise. Have you got a ticking clock? If you hide that under a blanket or cushion it apparently sounds like a heartbeat. Never tried it myself but a lot of people swear by it.

Good luck and things will settle down soon.

Oh I totally expect some whining and wimpering - we just took him away from anything familiar his mother, 2 adult dogs and 5 pups - what a culture shock for the little guy!! I just didn't know if it was just a common sort of noise that puppies made. We've got the hot water bottle ready for tonight - think we'll go out and find a ticking clock too but who knows what the night will bring.

T bone "clucked" for the first four days or so. It's a vocalisation some pups make when they aren't happy. It's not whining but it's certainly a protest. He did it constantly and only stopped when he was asleep - never seen another pup do it to that extent. He's nuts - I wonder if it's any indication :eek: just kidding.

I think you just have to accept that your pup will be miserable for a few days. It's such a huge change for them.

My pup did what 'Blacklabrador' has explained.

She only kept it up on the first day home as she had a big day leaving her litter mates, being on a plane and have strange faces at the other end.

We just gave her reassurance and put her in her crate that night where she could feel safe and cosy.

regardless if you are going to use a crate or not, give her somewhere snug and safe to call her own. Could be a quiet corner of the room, or the closet what ever, just make sure it is nice a snug and warm. Think of it like her den. And don't move it around. Let her be happy with her space and own it.

And just ignore her completly for a while.

Roo

• 2 months later...
T bone "clucked" for the first four days or so. It's a vocalisation some pups make when they aren't happy. It's not whining but it's certainly a protest. He did it constantly and only stopped when he was asleep - never seen another pup do it to that extent. He's nuts - I wonder if it's any indication :) just kidding.

I think you just have to accept that your pup will be miserable for a few days. It's such a huge change for them.

Hehe...my puppies are just starting to growl - or try to rather... and they sound like parrots!