Cocker Grooming Advice Sought

Have a look at my post with the pictures http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...p;#entry1565468

I am trying to become a good mommy and groom them meself. trouble is I am not sure how 'thick' I let their legs become. And where exactly is the line off the lower body for the hair to grow long (feathers i belive they can be referred as)?

Thank you in advace for your suggestions.

By the way, I have a dvd that shows me how to groom the cocker but I am not really getting the answers from that and I have books, too, but they don't seem to go into this detail.

Becky, have you looked at the grooming section on this site? http://www.cockerspanielclub.com/

You are aiming to get your cockers looking as if they are naturally handstripped, so they still have their feathers, so the fronts of their front legs, the sides of their back legs are clipped, and their back is clipped. The throat is clipped from under the jaw, down to the sternal notch, and the top third of the ears, both sides, is clipped.

With their sides, you are aiming to have a skirt like appearance. bring the clippers right down the side until you think they look as if they have a natural fall happening, bringin it in at the waist a little.

I'll try and take some pics later to show you how I do my dogs.

Edited by Toohey

Have you had a look at this site????

http://www.geocities.com/paws_with_style_grooming/

When I do Oi, I use the clipper to shave the front of her front legs which then just leaves the excess fur (feathers) showing on the back of her front legs.

As for her back, I shave the side of them and that leaves the feathering to be on the front of her back legs...

Did that made sense??? :D :)

Bottom picture please. I like the show look, yes, but I know my limits.

The boys I have, had always been kept short (mum before me had them this way). I kept the clipping short but after looking at DOLer cockers, I want to give a longer coat a try. Toohey's bubs are very cute, as Mag the Dags, well- actually they're all cute.

The bottom pic is something more achievable for me.

Can you get some photos of them stacking??? that way everyone can see them properly and give you suggestions :D

You want the look or similar of the bottom pic anyway cos Gomez and Maverick are English Cockers. The top pic is of an American Cocker

Edited by kaywoman68

Ah ha! Both the gals answer me. Thansk guys. toohey I am sure, after going to that link, you have pointed me there before. And ow so has KW. i have now bookmarked it and read through it. Thanks. i'll be going with this. I will print each page out, too and put them in my dog folder/portfolio for furture reference, too.

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. I need to buy few more tools betwen now and the next clip/groom session.

Can you get some photos of them stacking??? that way everyone can see them properly and give you suggestions :laugh:

STACKING!??? :):):rofl: They are crossed with a greyhound! All they do is sleep!

Looks like my crowd must be related to yours then. All they do is snooze too....oh and eat of course :D

:rofl::o ;)

Ah ha! Both the gals answer me. Thansk guys. toohey I am sure, after going to that link, you have pointed me there before. And ow so has KW. i have now bookmarked it and read through it. Thanks. i'll be going with this. I will print each page out, too and put them in my dog folder/portfolio for furture reference, too.

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. I need to buy few more tools betwen now and the next clip/groom session.

What have you got already????

SInce Maverick and Gomez are sleepers and not showies, they dont require as much attention. I'm sure the breeders etc can tell you that :D

I bought a Mars Coat King but I haven't had to use it as much as I thought I would. Professionals would do handstripping instead.

I mainly use for my sleeper Cockers are:

clippers with #10 blade

scissors - straight, curved and thinning (I dont use all of them all the time)

wide tooth comb

slicker brush

nail clippers

I use to use my mars coat king a lot esp the head when it got whispy and for the back . I've only just started clipping maggie's back before that I only ever used the mars comb but it is much quicker and easier just to zip it off with the clippers . The other equip same as KW .

What have you got already????

SInce Maverick and Gomez are sleepers and not showies, they dont require as much attention. I'm sure the breeders etc can tell you that :D

I bought a Mars Coat King but I haven't had to use it as much as I thought I would. Professionals would do handstripping instead.

I mainly use for my sleeper Cockers are:

clippers with #10 blade

scissors - straight, curved and thinning (I dont use all of them all the time)

wide tooth comb

slicker brush

nail clippers

I pretty much have what you have minus some of the differning scissors...

clippers with #10 blade

scissors - straight,

wide tooth comb

slicker brush - I have metal toothed combs and a brush

nail clippers

I don't know how to handstrip, sound slike plucking or pulling the hair out. Is that about right? Or am I just a saddest?

Keep in mind he is a neurtered male and therefore has a very bulky coat. AND, this is amateuring grooming of a pet. He has had heaps taken off as it is summer, and he has recently been clipped with a size 10 blade.

Body shot. You can see the line where you need to bring the clippers down to, to create the "skirt" effect.

groom2.jpg