Wee'ing In Crate..

RedStafford

Hi All,

Our pup (13 week old staffy) has been in a crate since we got her at 8 weeks old... we had to upgrade her crate a few weeks ago as the first one had gotten too small.. We also bought a bed for her (before we got her) which was basically just a flat cushion with a removable cover - it happened to fit almost perfectly in her new crate... when we first got her she wee'd on her 'cushion' a couple of times, then stopped...

Now she has wee'd on her cushion in her crate a couple of times also... and in the crate when the cushion wasn't in there - due to it being in the wash from the last wee on it... this afternoon she was out side of her own accord, she walked inside, directly to her crate, and wee'd on the towel that was in there...

I don't get it... why would she wee where she sleeps? the only time we lock her in her crate is at night - and then she doesn't do it she lets us know she wants out...

Any and all suggestions / comments / pointers to information etc etc welcome...

Cheers

efs

Edited by RedStafford

;) You have just got yourself a dumb breed and dumb dog :) . (oh and Erik is still weeing like a fountain also ;) )

Sorry not much to add, except I need the same answers......

Oh and just to be clear on my post it is called Socratic irony.

It occurs when someone pretends to be foolish or ignorant, but is not. Red Stafford has the sister of my pup and we both can't believe how much they drink and wee.

Edited by Roo

Now she has wee'd on her cushion in her crate a couple of times also... and in the crate when the cushion wasn't in there - due to it being in the wash from the last wee on it... this afternoon she was out side of her own accord, she walked inside, directly to her crate, and wee'd on the towel that was in there...

I don't get it... why would she wee where she sleeps? the only time we lock her in her crate is at night - and then she doesn't do it she lets us know she wants out...

Any and all suggestions / comments / pointers to information etc etc welcome...

Cheers

efs

Because she has gone there before. Make the crate smaller, only room to lay down, shut the door when she is out

and WATCH HER, NEVER take your eyes off her, the second she looks like she is getting ready to pee, take her outside

Going to the toilet inside is NOT the dogs fault, it is ours, you can never NOT watch her.

Hey Red,

Just going to hijack your post for a minute, ;)

Terrorbull I am assuming it is better for the dog to wee in your house, than in the crate is this correct. As the house weeing can be corrected. (for those moments where you take your eye off them for a split second) is this why you shut the crate when the dog is not in there.

I hope that made some sense.

Roo

At 3 months, u really need a lot of toilet breaks. What is her schedule for food, water and outside play?

When my sammy comes @ 4 months, he will pee and poo around the house and I dun even need to bring him out as he has already relieved himself conveniently in the house.

What I do is setup a rough schedule for his activities but prior to that, established his relationship with the crate which I have also done successfully with his GF? (or sister? They just happen to have swapped grandparents line.)

What I suspect it could be because your pup is still not associated with the crate or not treating the crate as her den and not toilet. U also need to let her out very frequently at this age. The most is another 3 months, and u can cut down to probably 3 - 4 times per day.

Hey Red,

Just going to hijack your post for a minute, ;)

Terrorbull I am assuming it is better for the dog to wee in your house, than in the crate is this correct. As the house weeing can be corrected. (for those moments where you take your eye off them for a split second) is this why you shut the crate when the dog is not in there.

Roo

Umm, no ;) it is better for the dog to go outside. If the dog keeps going in the bedroom, shut the door, if it goes in the bathroom, shut the door.

Thing with a puppy is that you can not take your eye off it for a split second!

hehe Roo you cracked me up... they are certainly fountains!

I'll take some of the room in her crate away and try to keep an eye on her better - worst thing about that is I watched her this afternoon come from outside to in her crate and wee - there is no warning with her at the moment, this afternoon I thought she was going in there to chew one of her toys, by the time I got off the lounge and accross the room to her she had done probably half of what she needed to do...

I'll also change her bedding in there to elimate the smell of wee... try to keep an eye on her more - tough in a busy household... i might have to cut her freedom down a bit somehow - I am now cursing "open plan living" pfft...

eta - i'm going to find a 20 minute timer to remind us about taking her out... we'll start at every 20 min and go from there...

Edited by RedStafford

good plan!

When i got kaos she was 4 months, i started the same way, taking her out every 30 mins, then up and up till she learnt what she had to do, yes, she was older, but still had no idea what was expected of her!

there is always a general guideline that they will pee and poo...most u may already read about :

1. After they wake up (even naps)

2. After a lot of drinks

3. After exercising

4. After a play time (this works on the same theory of exercising since it "moves" the bowels)

5. After meals

If u manage to catch them at these times, u don't have to follow the 20 mins interval which most likely u will give up in a week or 2. And with different people bringing them in and out, u will have the problem with consistencies especially with the clue to pee or poo.

Guest Pandii

I am all for the 20 min outside thing

I have a coolie here she is 13weeks she needs to go out every 20 mins she sleeps outside at night

I have also a 10 week old Rottweiler pup he can only needs to go out every 40 mins he also sleeps outside

Try taking them out every 20 mins also at night about 10pm take them outside for a walk let them pee, if they have a drink wait 20 mins then take them out for a pee again, then put them in their crate. If you hear them during the night get up and take them outside for a pee, then again about 6am it will take a while but they should catch on

If you have a larger crate you can put a bed up one end and paper down the other they should toilet on the paper as the pups get older they will learn to hang on or lose the need to go at night so remove the paper

Hope I amke sense

Try feeding your puppy in the crate and on that cushion. Put the feed bowl in there and make her go onto the cushion to eat. Remove the bowl a little while after she has eaten. She will probably want to go and pee and poop straight after her meal. She will probably want to go somewhere else to pee other than where her dinner bowl sits. Once she has pee-ed (elsewhere) then you can remove the dinner bowl from the cushion.

I also don't believe in putting paper (for toilet purposes) where you don't ultimately want the pup to pee. It gives the pup the message that at some time it is permissible to pee in the crate and you don't want that in the long term. Encourage the pup to pee outside the crate at all times.

Edited by Scales of Justice

Thanks for the replys...

Couple of things worth mentioning...

She's good at night time, most nights she will last from about 9:30 till 4:30 - 5... (we're up at 5:30 'round here anyway...) she has only soiled her crate at night once and that was my fault as I was in that state where you think you are dreaming but your not - I am sure she cried to get out - also it was no 2's she did that time and she always tries to get out side for that...

I have fed her in her crate a couple of times, i'll do it more often... I think i am going to get her a new mattress for it, the foam in this one has the smell now...

Hey Red,

Just going to hijack your post for a minute, :laugh:

Roo

What you need to do is either supervise, confine the dog, or have the dog outside going to the toilet. You need to establish a routine, that is, the dog goes out at the following times: when waking, after meals, after play or exercise, and once every hour regardless. If you're not watching, of course the pup will likely make a mistake. You must watch - - - either have her leashed to your belt so you can't not watch her or - - - confine her to the crate (only enough room to stand up, turn around and lie down - - - or have her outside with you watching her and giving her the "toilet" commands you have chosen.

i would also suggest that u just use a simple blanket u can chuck in the wash to sanitise that way u wont be buying a new bed every week. Our girl has just turned 8 months and she still has only a blanket :D mainly coz im lazy and havent bought her a trampoline bed!! :laugh:

but she is completely trustworthy as far as toiletting in the house/crate/pen goes

Hahaha, I know how it feels. Our little Hermes sometimes runs inside to pee. He is slowly learning though. It's annoying but very funny. Little bugger! He never poops inside. But when it comes to peeing he definitely prefers to pee inside. We take him out regularly as soon as he finishes eating, after a play, after something exciting happens, as soon as he wakes up etc etc. He is definitely getting there. We had the door closed today and he ran up to the door whined and stood up against the door. I nearly jumped out of my skin with excitement :laugh:

We watch him like a hawk as soon as his nose goes to the ground we take him out if he starts to pee we pick him up and race outside. He gets praise and a treat whenever he goes outside. He is definitely learning it just takes time :D

-Elise

Hey Red,

Just going to hijack your post for a minute, :thumbsup:

Roo

What you need to do is either supervise, confine the dog, or have the dog outside going to the toilet. You need to establish a routine, that is, the dog goes out at the following times: when waking, after meals, after play or exercise, and once every hour regardless. If you're not watching, of course the pup will likely make a mistake. You must watch - - - either have her leashed to your belt so you can't not watch her or - - - confine her to the crate (only enough room to stand up, turn around and lie down - - - or have her outside with you watching her and giving her the "toilet" commands you have chosen.

Oh don't worry I supervise him I am with him almost 24 hours a day ,every day as he comes to work with me. He goes outside most of the time now, it is just funny when he just runs inside and wees without even the slightest hint, and I mean without any hint. I catch him each time, and it really doesn't stress me out at as I know he will get it. So I just say NO is a firm voice and carry him outside on to the grass.

Cayenne just lost about a 3rd of her crate... i feel so mean now!

Been on her case today, there has only been 3 or 4 puddles inside today...

Erik and I are at about 3 puddles as well so onwards and upwards mate.

lilysmum

Are you advocating that the dog spends 24/7 in the crate

except

when he is tied up (to the owner)?

is outside having a toilet stop?