Trialling Question

Hi FeralPup

There is always the Portland trial to prepare him for, I think about November from memory.

That would give you enough time to prepare him for Novice if you wanted to. Its a double header too.

I am hoping to enter that trial if everything goes to plan. They have a nice flat training ground down there. :thumbsup:

I entered my girl into agility for the first time and she was wild she did things she had never done before.

We have trained in a number of different place indoor outdoor different people and she is a gem does everything asked of her, top of her class. Her trial came I didn’t have high expectation at all but I did however have expectations and I could not believe how different she was. She was FAST a speed I have never seen in training, so I think that sometimes just entering into a comp is beneficial because your dog can do things that you never expected. Now in training again I can not get that same speed so I don’t know if she is just in a feral mood or if she will only do that in comps. So I will be entering her again to see what happens!!!!!

Then I need to figure out why and what see needs to be trained on. I did pick up on things that we needed to improve on so that’s what we have been doing......

Okay so flame away.

:rofl:

Anyway, i think most people have a problem with the fact that you have labelled a puppy dumb and slow. I still cant comprehend that, looking at all your videos of all the behaviours and tricks she is doing and then too come and see you said in a round about way that she is dumb its :rofl:

You have been told by several experienced dog trainers too slow it down, she is a puppy she doesnt need too know all tricks and obedience exercises as quick as possible, maybe have a read and take in what they said rather then ignoring them. Basic obedience is great but give her a chance too grow up a bit before writing her off :confused:

Hi FeralPup

There is always the Portland trial to prepare him for, I think about November from memory.

That would give you enough time to prepare him for Novice if you wanted to. Its a double header too.

I am hoping to enter that trial if everything goes to plan. They have a nice flat training ground down there. :mad

Thanks DD - have been to the Portland for the agility/obedience trial last year - problem is I rocked up too late for the obedience side :thumbsup: I think there is also trials at Ballarat and Geelong in between so will maybe have a go at these as well :D

Hi FeralPup:

Dont forget Mnt Gambier trial either :thumbsup:

My first ever trial was at your home club (Warrnambool) many years ago during the Glenelg games. We placed first in encouragement then followed up by winning best in trial at out home club (Portland). Never trialled at Ballarat but we then took out novice at Geelong, then the same at Broadmeadows to gain our title that year. Geelong was a good trial but Broadmeadows had ankle deep mud accross the whole ground.

The opposite usually is the case for newbys because they have no feel for the competition at that stage. They are also champing at the bit to have a go and get involved.

I would agree - but also add that perhaps entering to "see how we go" for a newby is good as it gives the experience of a real trial - to see how the dog reacts to a crowd and also to see how the newby reacts to the pressure! Thus you go away with stuff to work on and your first experience is out of the way so you dont fail when you really are ready to pass because you and the dog didnt know what to expect.

I am in this situation now - living in Mt G I have the oportunity to go to one trail now - and not another until the end of the year! So although Lana is not bomb proof and is still making a few mistakes - I am entering into the obedience to "see how we go". I do not care if we dont pass - as I know we arent really ready to yet anyways. It is just the experience that I want before the end of the year when we hopefully will be ready.

I should also add that I wouldnt enter if I thought Lana was going to distract/attack/anything the other dogs as that wouldnt be fair to the people who were ready to pass...

eta - OOHHH I just saw that everyone is thinking of coming to the Mount Gambier trial!!! How exciting! I will deferz be there - even if I dont have a dog... (Lana will/should be in season then... but who knows!)

Edited by bridgie_cat

Hi bridgie_cat

I can see where your coming from with distance between trials down there (lived in Portland 10 years) but you also need to consider that many bad habits can also be created when they are not ready and you enter frequently on a wing and a prayer, because you can't correct, or reward good behavior etc.

The Mount trial is one of the worst to enter distraction wise (yeah, bad experience) so you just need to be aware of that. (during our turn in the ring, a horse broke loose and was doing zoomies around our ring)

You do have a number of seasoned triallers at your club that could help you proof your dog in preperation (start training in a horse paddock :thumbsup: ) I take it Marlene and Ginny are still members?

Edited by dogdude

Im actually entered in the Warrnambool trial... but will be watching the Mt G one (Lana will probably be in season then so I wont be able to enter :laugh: )

Yes Marlene is here - she is great... we have a few others that have been around for ages and are a big help! Not sure on Ginny... if she is here I dont know her - but then again I only know the names of a few owners!!! I am already working with marlene and Steve in all weird places trying to get them used to distractions etc but cannot recreat the actual trial atmosphere - so that is certainly a learning experience. I wouldnt go in if there were trials all the time I could enter when I was ready - but limited access = im gonna give it a go a bit early and risk it - not too much bad can be learnt in 1 trial without corrections!!! she is pretty dam close anyways...

That is pretty extreme with the horse!!! I woudnt think many would plan to proof their dogs against that... haha...

Bridgie cat- are you doing obedience or agility? Geelong has a double agility trial (4 trials) coming up on April 28th and 29th, can camp on the grounds or elsewhere, there is a barbeque on the Saturday night.

Also 7th and 8th July will be a back to back obedience trial.

Bridgie_Cat

I dont think there would be any close places that you could re-create the Mount Trial LOL, all those horses and cattle running around. I actually did end up proofing my dog though because of that! Trained in a horse paddock for weeks.

Ginny had GSD's and was a trialling friend of Marlene's that lives in the Mount. She is American. She is obviously no longer a member. (Very loud lol, you would have noticed her)

Marlene was my first training mentor when she lived in Portland.