Buying A Crate?

Poodle wrangler

I guess he'll grow up to about 24" at the shoulder (male).

I've had a look on ebay, but I'd like to get a crate that allows you to "expand" the area as pup grows- the ads didn't mention being able to do this. ??

I'm planning to use it for toilet training and to avoid accidents/ chewing when I can't give pup 100% attention.

Where's a good place to get a crate? I'm in regional NSW, so the choice in pet shops is very limited, also prices are often way above those in Sydney.

I've got an airline carrier, which only has enough space for a turn around for pup- OK for car for now. I don't know if it's an OK short-term solution?

Advice much appreciated :thumbsup:

ETA: Would large (36") size be big enough for a standard poodle?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

OK, I know that a lot of people on this forum are right into using crates, but please Poodle Wrangler, reconsider!

Given your name, you're probably familiar with poodles, so you'd know the brain power your puppy will have. With very little effort on your part he will be toilet trained in a few days (even if his breeder hasn't done any training with him). Remember, he absolutely cannot hold on - when he wakes up from a nap, after dinner, during playtime - if he has to go, put him outside immediately and praise him for being good. Tell him what he can and cannot play with, work on basic obedience for a few minutes a few times a day, give him a safe, comfortable bed near you, and you'll have no problems.

Puppies do need to be watched when they're babies (just like human babies!) but he will not be happy crated. In fact, how can he learn right from wrong if he is locked away from any possible mistakes? A far better option would be to set up a small pen in the corner of whatever room you're most in, where he can move around, have a bed, drink and toy, and leave some paper for a toilet. This way, he's safe & comfortable, and once he's a little older, simply do away with the pen.

And before the comments about teaching pups to toilet on paper - poodles learn very, very quickly about where and when they can go to the toilet. I've had litters at 6 weeks old asking to go outside. Paper is for emergencies, since you can't use the floor.

If you put the time into your pup in the first few weeks you have him, he'll settle in with absolutely no trouble. Our house full of huge poodles are never confined. They don't damage anything, mess in the house, destroy the garden, fight, argue. They have all been raised the same way and they're all good girls.

Hey PW,

Since nobody has really given you any information I can say that a 36" would be pushing it for an adult standard poodle. My BC girl is 18" at the shoulders and has a 36" vari kennel so my presumption would be that you would require something larger then that.

Edited by ness

Thanks for the answers, bit now I've already bought one :mad an XL (42") crate which can be partitioned off to smaller sizes. I suspect Ted will be a biggish boy. A too-small crate is useless.

I wasn't sure & we didn't have a crate with our mini poodle. As you say, curly, they're normally quick to learn. One of the reasons we love poodles is how they fit in so well as part of your family. They're just great to have around. It's hard to imagine a crated adult standard poodle in the loungeroom :rofl: . It'll want it's own lounge, of course :D

Our mini poodle was slow to toilet train and we had a few damaged things, but I put that down to me more than him :thumbsup: . What can you expect from a puppy? He was very easy to train, otherwise. Hadn't had a puppy since I was 5!

Crate cost $145. If I prevent 3 chewed pairs of shoes it's paid for itself! I'll sell or donate the crate later, if not needed. Thanks again!

Hey poodle wrangler.

We used a crate for our standard boy when he was a baby, and I am so pleased we did. It was a safe place for him to be when I had to be doing something else, when the other dogs needed some time-out from him, and just to teach him to settle and be quiet. And made toilet training a breeze!

He slept in it originally but fairly quickly moved to sleeping on a sling bed in the "dog room" with the other dogs once he was clean over night.

After he was castrated, we used his big trolley to keep him quiet for a few days, and the old training just clicked back in. In crate = quiet / sleeping time. And of course he is regularly in it a trials. He will barge past anyone to get into his trolley!

So don't worry about using the crate. I am sure you won't be able to leave him in there for too long - standards have a way of getting into your life!

Hey poodle wrangler.

We used a crate for our standard boy when he was a baby, and I am so pleased we did. It was a safe place for him to be when I had to be doing something else, when the other dogs needed some time-out from him, and just to teach him to settle and be quiet. And made toilet training a breeze!

He slept in it originally but fairly quickly moved to sleeping on a sling bed in the "dog room" with the other dogs once he was clean over night.

After he was castrated, we used his big trolley to keep him quiet for a few days, and the old training just clicked back in. In crate = quiet / sleeping time. And of course he is regularly in it a trials. He will barge past anyone to get into his trolley!

So don't worry about using the crate. I am sure you won't be able to leave him in there for too long - standards have a way of getting into your life!

My 3 year old has had great fun sitting in there, too :rolleyes:

I took puppy and our mini poodle out for a picnic at Kiama today. He was so good: Was friendly and coped very well with screaming children (playground), Jazz band and fell asleep under the table at a cafe, afterwards.

36 inch is perfect Labrador size but I wouldn't put a bigger dog in there.

Make sure you shop around for a crate before you buy as the prices seem to vary greatly without good cause. I've seen 36 inch crates for $250 that seem no different to the ones that I buy for $120. Mine survive in the back of the car with two dogs leaning against the sides (when we go around corners :rolleyes:) so they are quite sturdy.

I crated my standards overnight until they were about 8/9 months old as I didn'y want them roaming around at night. If they crate happily it means they will be comfortable at the vets or groomers or any other time they might need to be crated. Although they might get the idea of toilet training quickly they certainly will have accidents for several months and chewing can also happen - they are only babies and still learning. I always get up and take a puppy to the toilet once in the middle of the night as I think it is a long time for them to hang on and they get to stretch their legs and I give them a pigs ears or similar to settle back in the crate with.