Puppy Coming Tomorrow

laffi

My 8 weeks old golden retriever girl is finally coming tomorrow :love: . I have a few questions.

- I have two size crates: XXL that she can grow into and a small, cat size crate. Which one should I use first? Some people say it's better to have a smaller one for housebreaking but some say that it's better if a pup can have a bigger one.

- Also I am going to keep her in the bathroom when I will not be able to supervise her (eg going shopping or sleeping). Should I put the crate there and take it out to the living room when I am available? Or should I keep it in the same spot?

- Is 8 weeks old to early to start house training? (I just read in a book I should start house training at about 12 weeks)

Thank you so much!

maria+laffi

Edited by laffi

My 8 weeks old golden retriever girl is finally coming tomorrow :love: . I have a few questions.

- Is 8 weeks old to early to start house training? (I just read in a book I should start house training at about 12 weeks)

Hi Maria & Laffi,

Congratulations on getting your new puppy! Sorry I can't answer all your questions.

I just bought a baby Bichon yesterday and I have already started training him and hes already getting the hang of it. I'm no puppy expert but I think the sooner you house train him, the better. I take my puppy to his toilet after his finished eating and after a nap. He poops around 4 times a day.

However, I think puppy's cant control their bladder until they are ?16 weeks old? so when they do get excited/frightened they may do an accident.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help,

Mak.

Edited by Mak

Hi Maria & Laffi,

Congratulations on getting your new puppy! Sorry I can't answer all your questions.

I just bought a baby Bichon yesterday and I have already started training him and hes already getting the hang of it. I'm no puppy expert but I think the sooner you house train him, the better. I take my puppy to his toilet after his finished eating and after a nap. He poops around 4 times a day.

However, I think puppy's cant control their bladder until ?6 months of age? so when they do get excited/frightened they may do an accident.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help,

Mak.

Hello Mak,

Congrats on your little baby! I can't wait to get mine tomorrow. Tell me more about your little baby Bichon and your experience having a new pupy.

Hi laffi- congrats!!

Start house training straight away she probably won't get the hang of it until she's about 12 weeks but there's no point in letting her think its ok to go to the loo inside then have to train her out of it!

Depending how long you will be out for I would move the crate into the bathroom then back we you get home. If its only going to be for 1/2 hour I would either not worry about it or just put her in her crate in the lounge room. And I would use the big crate from word go..

Others might have better advice but this is just what I would do!

Goodluck and enjoy your new baby!!

Hi Maria

Congrats on your new golden girl!!

I would start housetraining from the word go... even if they don't get the hang of it straight away the learning starts as soon as you get her (they are like sponges). Also, be patient and consistent... sometimes it may seem like they arent getting it but persist... my puppy pee'd so often... he wouldn't even give me any signs he just went.... i started taking him out every 15 minutes just to get the point accross!

Regarding the small vs. large crate, some say that you should use a crate where there is only enough room to sleep... if it is too big puppies can tend to sleep at one end and do their toilet at the other end. They do not generally mess their bed but if they only take up half the crate they might see the other half as toilet half, particularly if you aren't there to take them outside. Some crates come with a divider so you can adjust it as the puppy grows.

As for moving the crate around i can't see that this would be a problem, but i am no expert. I did move the crate into the laundry when i was not home and it didnt seem to have any ill effects on his training.

Good luck with your new baby and please don't forget to post some pics!!

Hi Maria

Check out the Golden Retriever thread in the Photos section. There are heaps of gorgeous golden retriever photos posted there! Make sure you post pics of your new pup when you get her, cant wait to see her! What are you going to call her? I got my Golden ("Max") at xmas time and we started house training straight away. basically take her outside as often as possible and praise her lots and lots when she goes in the right place. :love: Its amazing how quickly they get the hang of it!

Edited by Mel_c

Hi Maria

Check out the Golden Retriever thread in the Photos section. There are heaps of gorgeous golden retiever photos posted there! Make sure you post pics of your new pup when you get her, cant wait to see her. Where are you getting her from? What are you going to call her? I got my Golden ("Max") at xmas time and we started house training straight away. basically take her outside as often as possible and praise her lots and lots when she goes in the right place. :love:

Hello Mel,

She is going to be called Laffi and I am getting her from Shogold retrievers (Brisbane). I will definitely post the pics as soon as possible.

Hello Mel,

She is going to be called Laffi and I am getting her from Shogold retrievers (Brisbane). I will definitely post the pics as soon as possible.

Cant wait for the pics! what colour is she? cream, light gold, mid gold, dark gold? i love all colours!

Cant wait for the pics! what colour is she? cream, light gold, mid gold, dark gold? i love all colours!

She is going to be light gold. :love: How about yours?

Max is suppose to be mid gold once he gets older. when he got him he was much creamier but as hes gotten older his ears, back and tail have a nice golden colour developing.

maximus7-8.jpg

maximus7-10.jpg

maximus7-12.jpg

This is max at 8 weeks the first day we bought him home.

Misc065.jpg

This is max now. hes going through that dorky stage where his body needs to catch up with the growth of his legs! Very funny stage!

Edited by Mel_c

Max is suppose to be mid gold once he gets older. when he got him he was much creamier but as hes gotten older his ears, back and tail have a nice golden colour developing.

Misc065.jpg

This is max now. hes going through that dorky stage where his body needs to catch up with the growth of his legs! Very funny stage!

He looks absolutely gorgeous! :love:

How did you pick him form his litter mates?

He looks absolutely gorgeous! :love:

How did you pick him form his litter mates?

Just lucky! There were three males in the litter and the breeder was keeping one, so she got first choice, then another buyer had 2nd choice (but the breeder convinced him to take a particular pup coz she wanted us to have max) but if you do get a choice, go for one that is very active, alert and playful, not shy or scared. max was the most outgoing male in the litter and although he can be a handful he is a wonderful dog! hes off to obedience school in two weeks ( he already passed puppy preschool but we just to help him to become his best!)