Steven - Maremma Sheepdog

sopheven

The Vet said Steve had arthritis in his hips Dec 06, a month later that diagnosis was changed to terminal cancer. He was such a proud dog, he thought the world belonged to him. Our local off leash park was his, and he let every dog know it - even the Newfoundland that outweighed him by 30 kilos. He spent his last month inside doing what he wanted, even towards the end he would lie down in the room of our 2 year old daughter keeping guard while she slept.

I guess the biggest compliment we could pay Steve is that we're scanning through breeder and rescue sites looking for a replacement, and in reality nothing will.

We miss you boy.

post-15672-1173438334_thumb.jpg

My thoughts are with you. They are such a wonderful dog, it is so difficult to lose one.

Good luck with your search, he would want you to get someone else to care for you and your family.

:laugh:

Andrea rescues, so does Dogbesotted, and Steve breeds them. Good luck - and we expect photos!!

Oh , How really really horrible .I know better than anyone how these guys work so hard to become part of the family and grow into your heart. Even just reading about your Steve made me cry again for my Polly . Thats why I own so many of them I guess.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. He was only 10 and we hoped he'd be around for another 5 years or so, still they were 10 great years and we're thankful for that.

We're going to take our time in getting his replacement, we still have the Labrador that appears in the photo and we don't want to make the wrong decision because we're upset at losing Steve. We'll definitely get another Maremma, it will just take some time.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts and kind words. It helps.