Groomer In Brisbane

huski

Hey everyone

I am looking for a groomer in Brisbane who is good at blowing out a Sibes coat. It seems no matter how many hours I brush him for I just can't get the coat out... and I am yet to find a groomer who is good at it. The last place I took him to washed and blow dried him but there was still HEAPS of fur coming off, they hadn't bothered to get it all and still charged me $60 :laugh:

I don't mind paying around that as long as they do a good job. Does anyone know anywhere?

Guest kitakins

when i try to get as much fur out of kuma i give her a really good wash, heaps of massaging as well as using a rake while shes wet. then i condition and massage. then i blow dry her [fur tornado!]. then i will slicker, use the furminator, then slicker again.

when i try to get as much fur out of kuma i give her a really good wash, heaps of massaging as well as using a rake while shes wet. then i condition and massage. then i blow dry her [fur tornado!]. then i will slicker, use the furminator, then slicker again.

Thanks KK I really want to get a Furminator.

I'm also lazy :laugh:

I'm not a groomer but i've defurred husky's before...lol. And if i had the time i'd offer to do so for you for a bottle of coke...lol.

But as a suggestion head off to PetWise and for $10 you can hydrobath and blow dry your dog yourself. If you are a member of the Petwise club (free) you can use the hydrobaths etc on Monday and Tuesday for $2.00. And you can basically spend as much time as you like doing so :rock:

Guest kitakins

i found they dont work as well on long coated dogs too, but on short coats its a godsend. no matter what one does though, more hair will still come off until the season is over. one lot of fur gets removed and another lot will be waiting a few days later.

I agree generally when sibes come in for the works its because there coat is so bad that the owners have given up or not touched it.

Whilst we get alot of the hair out the bathing & drying stimulates the shedding & its then up to the owners to work hard on the coat to ensure the coat doesnt get to being so built up.

Sibes is a weekly maintance & if you dont brush out weekly & you leave it then there is no way a groomer will be able to do a few months of dead coat in one groom.

We do a few sibes that often come in with 4 months plus of dead coat & to e honest the $60 doesnt make up for all the hair you have to clean up & retrieve for the next week.

The groomers do the hard work & people expect a miracle in one groom it doesnt work that way ,if you dont want hair then start doing more with the coat

I agree generally when sibes come in for the works its because there coat is so bad that the owners have given up or not touched it.

Whilst we get alot of the hair out the bathing & drying stimulates the shedding & its then up to the owners to work hard on the coat to ensure the coat doesnt get to being so built up.

Sibes is a weekly maintance & if you dont brush out weekly & you leave it then there is no way a groomer will be able to do a few months of dead coat in one groom.

We do a few sibes that often come in with 4 months plus of dead coat & to e honest the $60 doesnt make up for all the hair you have to clean up & retrieve for the next week.

The groomers do the hard work & people expect a miracle in one groom it doesnt work that way ,if you dont want hair then start doing more with the coat

You're completely right Showdog. I just want to clarify, I groom Micha regularly - as in every week. I just find that getting a groomer to do the blow dry definately helps loosening up the coat which makes it easier IMO to get the rest out. I usually take him to get a hydrobath and then I brush his coat out but nothing beats the blow dry.

We used to take him to a dog groomer who would blow out his coat and I found this very effective, they did an excellent job and it got rid of a bulk of the hair. However they aren't grooming anymore and the next groomer we went to didn't do a very good job, it was like we paid $60 for them to bath him and that was it. I don't expect them to get every bit of hair out but I guess it is hard to replace the great groomer we had before.

HH don't tempt me I'd get to your place and leave with a puppy :love:

We could have a big Brisbane bathing day :D Everyone with dirty dogs to HH's place :love:

Hesapandabear where do you get the high velocity dryer from? I am thinking it is probably going to be more effective for me to blow out Michy's coat then get someone else to do it.

Edited by husky87

HH, Perhaps we need to set ourselves up at your place for a grooming session ;)

We have all the necessary equipment including hydrobath and high velocity dryer, all we need then are the dogs :cheer:

TOP Idea :D

HH don't tempt me I'd get to your place and leave with a puppy :love:

and that's THE idea :rofl::love: :p

I agree with what the other groomers have said.

I have a number of huskies and mals that i do on a casual basis. I have two sibes i do fortnightly, but they dont want to pay for a blowdry. I will sometimes do a free dry on these two when they are blowing their coats, but it isnt appreciated (but they do look nice afterwards - however there is no money in self satisfaction.... unfortunately lol)

Whenever i do a new dog who is maulting (SP) a lot, i blow dry a bit first, then brush, wash, sometimes get a spider brush on them whilst they are in the bath to pull out more, then towel and blow dry.

I also tell the client that even tho i get this much (and show them the blocked up hydrobath tank) hair, to get the most value out of this bath, they should brush him again the next morning. And that they will get another pile of hair out but then they should be good for a while after that with just their regular brush sessions.

Also, a brush the next day wont take that long as the coat is clean and slippery, the hair practically falls out itself.

As a washer/groomer, it is very frustrating to make a really nice job on a dog, not charge enough, and have the client book in for a month's time, only to cancel for some reason or another and call again in 3-4 months time or longer and i am back to square one.

I will say, most of my clients are great, but some just dont realise they must brush them more often. On more than a few occasions, i have taken it on myself (if i have time) to go back the next day for a goldie or snowdog that i have blow dried, and give them another go over with a coat king or slicker - at no charge - because i was so pleased with the job i had done the day before that i didnt want it ruined by not having that all important follow up brush.

This is why i am not a millionaire.......but it is also why i LOVE my job.

Peachie can you move to Brisbane? :D

I totally understand what you're saying. I do brush my boy each week but it is nice to have the help to get the fur out that you get when you go to a professional groomer. I have no qualms paying whatever they charge for it either. The place we used to go to charged around $70-$80.

Just to be especially clear - I do not want someone to groom my dog for me each week. I do that myself. But I don't see a problem in going to a pro groomer who has the equipment to blow out my dog's coat, which helps with the brushing. I don't think it is any different then taking my little dog to get her fur clipped... I could do it myself but it would take time/ money to buy clippers/blow dryer etc. In regards to bathing I always get Mish done at a $10 hydrobath so I don't do that myself either.

However I am open to suggests such as the one KitKat suggested. I have just never been able to get as much fur off Micha as a good groomer.

For 3-400 bucks you could probably get a decent second hand force drier, for the money you would pay for grooming over a few months, it would pay for itself.

I love the result of blow drying really hairy dogs, it is very satisfying. You could still go get the $10 hydrobath and then go home and dry her. You can also use the blower on her without washing, just as an inbetween to get rid of hair - it works better than brushing IMO

Sorry, cant move to brisbane - i REFUSE to follow the REDS..... I am a Waratah Chick!

Husky87 - i believe Petwise has the yellow oldfield dryers for people to use. Tho i do know a few people take their showdogs in there to wash and brush up etc..OES's as well :laugh:

Thanks KitKat I am googling their store locations now :laugh: