Reluctant Walker - Seems Nervous

Henrietta

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are Gypsy (long) and Jayde (smooth) :rofl: Did you say your girls name?? I just noticed that shes really got some ears on her! Shes really beautiful, she looks so sweet :D

Yeah lol her ears are the biggest part of her :laugh: Her name is Abby.

Do you mind me asking what you feed yours, their coats are great ;) . My girl is on Supercoat Puppy at the moment, but I was wondering if you had any recommendation?

A bit off-topic, I saw your dog food thread :laugh: Great thread - very interesting and it's got me thinking, I'm just about to do the calculations on Supercoat puppy.

Emmala just wanted to say your puppy is an absolute Gem... very pretty!

Thanks SparkyTansy! My little rat is just great. I've had her for nearly two months now and it's been a ball :cry:

Just an update too. She is enjoying her walks more now and although she isn't anywhere near perfect, she is a bit more enthusiastic. She still stops when she hears a dog barking but now I can just call her and she will follow. I am giving her treats less often now, so that she doesn't get mixed messages about what I expect when we are walking. I am just constantly praising her when she is going well and giving her a treat when we get to the corner. She was more confident this week at puppy school too, which I'm very proud of.

So it's been a great start so far... thanks for the help everyone, it's really appreciated!

Sorry, a bit off-topic but... she just chewed up my instruction manual for my brand new mp3 player :bottom: serves me right for leaving it on the floor. I can't remember leaving it there but I must of :cry:

Oh well no one reads them anyway I suppose :(

At least it wasn't the carpet again, she managed to find where the two pieces join and unravel it a good bit...ahh the joys of puppyhood :rofl:

I think I better go play now...

One of my dogs was very shy when I took her for walks. She still is aa bit she and she's 5 years old. I soon discovered that by giving her treats I was teaching her to stop not to keep walking. What I found best was if she stopped in front of a house (for example) then I would encourage her to keep walking by crossing to the other side of the road or going in another direction. I would take her along the same route until she became familiar and comfortable with that route. Once she had conquered that I could move on to other unfamiliar routes repeating the same process of crossing the road when she stopped. Sometimes I didn't know why she stopped where she did but often it was because the property nearby had a dog or there was a noise she didn't like so going a short distance way worked for her. It meant I was constantly going back and forth across the street but it built up her confidence.

I saw this on "it's me or the dog" that tv show - anyway I tried it very successfully with my shih tzu that was afraid of people walking towards him and also sign posts e.g bus stops etc. Sounds odd but he was a rescue dog and I don't think he had ever been walked on a lead before. Anyway, everytime he stopped I would instantly turn around and walk the opposite direction which he was more than happy about then after about 5 steps I would turn around again and start walking the orginial way. I only had to do it twice for the bus stop before he realised there was no problem with it and after about 4 walks he got used to people walking towards him. (I was so proud of him!!!). Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks Sammykins and Heidig!

I will definitely keep these methods in mind if she shows too much nervousness on walks because I think they are very good ways of distracting dogs from their fear now that they have been suggested. I would never have thought of it myself. So far so good though. I am very happy to say that she has been improving heaps since I stopped giving her treats at what I didn't realise was inappropriate times :rofl:

Today she went for her longest walk ever (which wasn't that far, she's only a pup!) and she enjoyed it way too much lol. No it was really pleasing to see her acting like a confident dog that actually wanted to be out and about. She was excited with all the sights and sounds. Sammykins - I know what you mean about getting them comfortable with a particular route, it can take a while, but once they are ok it seems easier when you try something different because their confidence is so much better.

Definitely not perfect, but a pretty good start!

Heidig I can relate to you completely when you say that you are so proud of your boy! :D I was sooo excited, I just wanted to brag brag brag about my dog that enjoyed walking on a lead :D. You must have been just so happy with his progress, especially considering his background (ie no walks, obviously a bit nervous with people etc). Congrats and thanks for the advice :laugh:

Thanks Heidig! It does feel great :rofl:

If I see even just slight changes and see her confidence growing, it just really makes my day.

...and I annoy all my family/friends by going on about it. :laugh:

The Shih tzu in your avatar is beautiful :D Is that the boy you rescued?

Em

hehee I know what you mean, my family could definately sympathise with yours!!!

The shih tzu I was talking about was Pietro, he died in January of a fatal liver disease. I rescued him in November (he was 10 mths) and shortly after he was diagnosed with microvascular dysplasia. He had all the tests and an operation but there was nothing more that could be done. He was such a brave little boy and he will always be in my heart. I miss him so much :-(

The shih tzu in the photo is my new boy Cibo - another rescue dog!! He is sooooooo funny and charming and thankfully he was not abused - was neglected though :-( He loves everyone and thinks whenever someone comes to the door they are there to see him and if we pass someone on the street he tries to follow them for a pat and play - it is hilarious! I've taught him to sit, drop, shake paws and high 5 - I am working on rollover at the moment - he looks like a beached whale though hahahahaaa Anway, so at the moment my family and friends are probably VERY tired of me going on about how intelligent and smart my boy is - just when they thought they had heard the last of me after Pietro and going on about how much he was improving with day to day stuff and then bam - it starts all over again!!!

Hiedig, so sorry to hear about your Pietro :D

He must have been so special. The photo of him is gorgeous. :D I'm sorry that you only got to spend so little time with him.

Congrats on Cibo. That's really awesome what you have been teaching him. I am trying to teach shake to Abby, but so far she hasn't picked it up. I'm sure she will though, just a matter of time. High 5 would be great too :cry: She can sit, drop and also stay (but not very full on stays if you know what I mean)

If you ever need some one to brag to about Cibo - I'm your girl :D I won't mind at all, you'll just have to put up with me inundating you with my brags as well :o

And, I think it's great how you rescue. :rolleyes:

When the time is right for me to get another dog, I will be rescuing. And I'd love to be a foster mum one day too.

Thanks Emmala, and I love hearing owners brag - it means the dogs are happy too!!! It took me about a week of training to teach Cibo to shake - I would feed him his dinner and breaky one biscuit at a time after picking up his paw and saying shake. Only problem now is (and my dad roles around laughing at this when he comes to visit) that he pees with his front leg up (the one he shakes with!!) hahahahaaaa Dad reckons I have turned him into a clown! High 5 came pretty soon after - only needed to hold treat higher as he was already good at standing on his back legs. I have massive problems with the stay and come commands though - we are working on them too!!!

Fostering and adopting are so rewarding - I reckon it creates a stronger bond sooner as you know you have helped them out of a really crappy situation and they are so special - they deserve the best life after what they have been through. Makes me cry every time I go onto rescue websites to see what some of these dogs have been through. I fostered a little shih tzu a few weeks ago - he was so matted that he had to be shaved right down to the skin. I had him with me for about a month before he was adopted to TAS by an angel with a 42 acre farm - she rescues horses! Apparently he is in heaven - she sends me photos and updates and it has made it so worth it...

I can't wait to hear more about your successes!

Lol, poor Cibo, it must be hard to balance with two legs up in the air whilst peeing :o

I figured High 5 might be a natural progression of shake. At this stage Abby thinks shake is about jumping up to get the treat (even though I'm on the floor for this one) I show her shake for a number of repetitions and then see if she has picked it up, but she always jumps up. I always try ending a session with her getting it 'right' even if I have to show her :D

About stay and come - Abby can stay alright in the sit position, drop is a bit harder for her as yet. It's funny because come is ok when we have our little training sessions and she is concentrating, but when she is just outside exploring she will not come when called very often. She will just ignore you, or stand there and look at you as if you are stupid :D

We will have to work on that one :cry: For safety's sake as well as general doggy manners' sake.

I had never thought about it like that, but I can understand how rescue and foster would make you bond quicker to the dog. They really rely on you. Even though all dogs rely on their owners for their care, it's different because rescues mostly have had bad experiences and have been seriously let down by humans in the past. You want to make it up to them and see them happy again. It's what they deserve like you said.

Wow, you must be so thrilled with your foster boy - it must be very rewarding to see them undergo such a transformation for the better. I'd be worried that if I fostered I'd get very attached to them and they'd all end up 'foster failures' and end up living with me! But then again, you would be sooo happy when you find them the perfect forever home! It must be so great that you get updates and photos of your foster boy :D

hahaa yeah, it is hilarious to watch him - he just abouts falls over most of the time - maybe I have disturbed him mentally!! It is just so funny and even funnier to watch peoples faces when they walk past - they tend to get this confused look about them - has me in stitches!

You are doing better with the stay thing than I am - I can't even get Cibo to stay in training!!! Maybe I should spend more time concentrating on that than the funny tricks!!! The come thing - totally can relate - he will be there in 2 seconds flat when we are training (and I have treats) but out and about - no way, there are too many cool things to stick his nose in!!!

Would love to see a photo of Abby if you have one??

The fostering thing - I felt the same. When my sister did it I wondered how she could keep giving these dogs away as I always felt they could never possibly go to a "better" home or family or be treated better - how wrong I was (although there are those occassions when it is not true sadly - we can only do our best) but Smudge (my last one) ended up in doggy heaven on a 42 acre farm - he was so into running and jumping and now he can do it to his hearts content! His new mummy even bought him his own pillow to put his head on of a night - he sleeps in her bed!!! AND he gets a bed time treat every night! My babies (2 cats, 1 dog) sleep on my bed but they only get the doona - no pillows for them! And certainly no bed time snacks!!! hahaa I must admit, I cried my eyes out when I got home from dropping him off at the airport but when I got a sms message that night telling me about his pillow and snacks and the trip to the beach he had got on the way home from the airport I knew without a shadow of a doubt it was for the best. *phew*!

Can't wait to hear more about Abby's training - and if you have any hints for the stay thing - feel free to share! I have tried the sitting with him etc but short of holding his collar and MAKING him stay he ends up jumping all over the place trying to get the treat he KNOWS I have!!! Then I just end up being pumbled cause I am laughing so hard at his ears bouncing all over the place and his tongue doing the same... maybe I should video it and desensortise my self like they do for dogs barking at other dogs barking!! hahahaaa

Smudge definitely ended up in doggy heaven Hiedig :cry: Doggy treats at night!!?? There is way too much pampering going on there :vomit:

Lol, sometimes I find it hard to keep a straight face too when I'm training, but at least we aren't getting frustrated, that's a plus! I have learnt so so much about patience :rofl:

It's wierd you mentioned Cibo being so enthusiastic he won't stay. I had the same issue with our staffy, she just had to be at my side, couldn't have been there any faster :vomit: It was a challenge to teach her to stay and even now it's not one of her reliable commands I'm afraid. Abby is bit different. She is very focused on the treats, and sometimes (hopefully) me and she doesn't mind staying. Don't get me wrong, she is far from perfect but for some reason she picked the basic stay command up without too much hassle. But it started out on a very short leash and only staying for two seconds max. We have slowly worked our way up to staying for about 5 or 6 seconds but about 5m away from me. I am no expert on training so I am hoping to get some great tips at obedience when we start early April. Very, very excited :mad

I try and train in the late morning (unless it like 35 degrees of course). It works for me because she Abby hasn't eaten recently so she really wants those treats. Also the morning before brekky or before dinner would be great but she is a bit excitable and won't focus as well. That's when I take her for walkies and playtime. At least in the middle of the day she is in between siesta's and isn't quite as nutty :mad

Update on shaking hands lol. We are still at the very very basic levels with this one. But it's something fun to do and you can almost see her brain ticking over... :rolleyes: :vomit:

There should be some pics in this thread, I can't remember what page though. I'd quite happily stick some more up for you but I'm pretty sure people are sick of looking at her lol. Major overkill - I have posted in the Photo - Chi thread and the Cutest Dog Contest Thread. :mad

Ooh I know I'll stick a pic in my avatar for you! Keep me updated with Cibo's training. He sounds like such a crack up:)