Border Collies Video

whatevah

Yes on another list I was on, they were a bit upset about it. I would take it as a compliment if my dog were on it. I emailed her and told her she could use any of my videos photos etc. I had a look at my youtube videos the other day and even found that the one of Moses taking my husband's sock off had ended up on a foot fetish site. The one of Josh doing a flying leap into the water has ended up on a overseas site, I can't understand what it says.

Here are two videos I made the other day - (sorry the sound track is the same)

Obedience/Agility/Herding (alright the herding is a bit lame - it was her first go and yep she isn't very good).

Photo Video - Puppy to 6 years

Obedience/Agility/Herding (alright the herding is a bit lame - it was her first go and yep she isn't very good).

WOW! I loved this! You should be so proud of everything you have achieved with her. She looks super keen & is really moving in those agility runs (and GREAT tables too :laugh: ) I know nothing about obed, but I know she looks really happy so that must be a good thing.

Well done, it is a lovely tribute.

I did another version without the crap herding footage and a bit more agility in it :laugh: . I did it because I constantly bag her about how slow she runs when in reality I know she isn't as bad as I think. Testament to that was her two third places in Novice Gamblers at the trial on Monday (only needed 1 for her title). She nailed every contact and every weaver in all her runs. Ran a stunning Excellent Agility round but for a tunnel/dogwalk discrimination at the second to last obstacle. Before then I would have said she was 100% dogwalk without fail, I can stand in the middle of a Snooker course and send her for the dogwalk without taking anything else (now the stats are back at 90% after the little bugger decided to go through the tunnel not once but 4 times) - oh well always the next trial.

Her obedience well our aim is to be trialling in UD by September/October - far in advance of my timeline which was sometime in 2008. Just a gentle bit of prodding.

A huge crowd in Western Australian have all believed in Ness the entire time while I have have stuggled with it and now I guess I am finally seeing what they have seen and starting to have a little more confidence in my girl. Now lets just hope for a fraction more speed - Nationals seems like a good time to find it :rofl: .

Edited by ness

Photo Video - Puppy to 6 years

Ness,

I just saw these vids! Ness looks awesome! I thought you said she was slow in Agility? She looks pretty good to me!!!! LOL!

I don't know though she regularly gets time faults in Masters Jumping over here in SA but actually ran 4 masters courses in WA last October and was under time by quite a few seconds. So if she isn't slow then what can I do to help make time.

I don't know though she regularly gets time faults in Masters Jumping over here in SA but actually ran 4 masters courses in WA last October and was under time by quite a few seconds. So if she isn't slow then what can I do to help make time.

OK I'm going to be brutal here (and please don't think I am being a know-it-all bitch, b/c I have (or have had)many of the same issues as a handler & in my training)

She is not slow, but honestly, you are late with your commands a lot. Basically she runs according to your speed, if you are careful, so is she ( I have certainly had this problem, but am managing to get over it a lot lately)

From the video, these are the things I saw

Clip 1: Independent Contacts would give you an extra 2-3 secs over a course.

She nearly goes off course b/c you have disconnected with her at one point (I used to do this heaps, but am getting better)

Clip 2: You nearly got lost & were unsure about where to go, so was she, at least a second or 2 of time lost

You are also late giving her information in a number of turns so she is wide, again 2-3 seconds over a course

Clip 3: weaves are dependent on you for entry & to stay beside her

Her turns are a bit wide again b/c you are late

Clip 4: When you take off & run on the home stretch she is really driving hard, b/c you are & she knows exactly where to go. That is what she is capable of...you just need to trust her. And if you blow a few runs working it out, so what? It'll be worth it. You just need to go for it.

Edited by Vickie

Hey Vickie,

Thanks for that - some of that is pretty old video now. Back to one of her first novice passes. Mostly 2002-2004. I have some more recent footage. In fact I have one round from Monday's trial which I would love some thoughts on if your happy for me to send it. Some of your comments are still very valid even now. One thing though is my handling has improved a fair amount I feel - just looking back at the old video I have obviously improved. Runs hang together a lot more then they use to. Are you happy if I upload some more for some comments?

Ness

Edited by ness

Ok here are some more recent as in 2006 and 2007 Jumping Rounds:

(Will upload some agility tomorrow)

Mid 2006

= clear but with 3 time faults

Edited by ness

You're right, they are much better runs :rofl: .

I think your timing is a heap better and you are certainly driving her through the courses more, but you are still a little late :vomit: . She still is not getting information about her turns until she is in the air or landing. I can also see you going through something that I struggled with a lot...when you are not late, you are rushing a little & letting go of her. It's really hard to find that balance where you are ahead but still hanging on. I think I have it pretty much under control now but it has taken a lot of work. They key to it is to be able to be ahead of your dog mentally but still connected physically. I see you do it on a straight really well where you are running ahead but still controlling her line with your hand signals, you just need to practice this on a curve & a turn.

Suggestions:

I think stronger leadouts could help her and making sure she is positioned correctly behind the first jump, so that she can see what is coming rather than always starting straight on.

She needs some leading hand exercises, so that she is more willing to come to the hand you present & come a little closer. Figure 8's around uprights would help as well with a reward on the turn.

You broke the golden rule of crosses a number of times in those runs. In order to front cross, you must be ahead of your dog & in order to rear cross, you must be behind. In general you seem to be more comfortable with rears. I would be doing a lot more front crosses with her as it will help you to drive her through the course.

Practice some send to tunnels, she seems to have some issues with these when you cross behind.

Once you have done some leading hand exercises, she will get more comfortable with you moving in front of her. Right now, your front crosses are done on the spot and you will need to practice being able to move though them so you are covering ground yourself as you perform the cross. This has probably been my biggest challenge as a handler & the reason I never did front crosses. Now that I am comfortable moving though them I would say I do at least 2, maybe 3 fronts to every rear.

:rolleyes: Sounds like a lot, but it's not really & most of it is centred around the same issue....and you did ask... :vomit:

I'll have to get some video of me running for you to critique & pay me back. I rarely (probably never) do a run where I cannot see something to improve. We have made a heap of progress lately b/c I have made the effort to go set up every challenge I meet that I am unhappy with & fix it. It makes such a difference b/c I am no longer looking at courses & planning ways to avoid our weaknesses...as time goes by our weaknesses are getting less & a trial is a great opportunity to practice my latest training. Sometimes I am even running a course differently just so that I can include a practice of an issue we have worked on.

Hope this makes sense. it's just my opinion, I am sure others may disagree or see things differently.

Hey Vickie,

Thanks for that. Some interesting points raised. Given what you said about me being more comfortable with rear crosses would it surprise you to say I usually only ever do front crosses (admittedly not very good ones) because if I try and rear cross I lose any forward momentum and she is likely to pull off the obstacle. Same with tunnels and anything. She always needs me right there although she did some really nice gambles on Monday with strong tunnel sends so obviously doesn't always need me there. If I get to far ahead of her on the course she will switch off. I think she has a very late committement point to an obstacle. In that with a jump she basically has to be nearly over it before she is committed to completing it otherwise she drops momentum and will pull off the bar.

We do a lot of practice just driving over straight lines of jumps to build drive - or have done with some success in the past.

Not tried any of that leading hand exercise stuff - are there any good explanations available on the web or dvds or books - any recommendations.

She won't hold a lead out anymore which is why I usually don't. Also occasionally when I have tried a lead out she won't come off the start line.

Thanks again though - I'll have another look at what you had to say and I am sure there will be more that springs to mind from it :rofl: .

I will say though we had our first bit of luck last night. I had just 2 jumps set up at right angles (lower then her normal jump height) and for the first time I was able to get her driving over the jumps with enthusiasm and then using a tuggy or a thrown ball to reward rather than having to use food. She isn't a highly toy driven dog but we have been working steadily and she is getting better. Still very much when the environment is right but its better.

Edited by ness

haha - now Ness is back to sounding like Leo!

refusing jumps when you do a rear cross

needing to be babysat....

not wanting to drive ahead!!!

LOL!!! Yep that sounds familiar!

My current plan is to set up weave poles again to get Leo to really drive through them and see it as one unit.

Given what you said about me being more comfortable with rear crosses would it surprise you to say I usually only ever do front crosses (admittedly not very good ones) because if I try and rear cross I lose any forward momentum and she is likely to pull off the obstacle.

No, it doesn't surprise me, I didn't say she was better at rears, I said you look more comfortable doing rears (I mean physically).

If I get to far ahead of her on the course she will switch off.

I can't see that in these runs. In the first one, she is really moving & you are ahead of her most of the course & giving her clear directions. The only issues I really see with this run (other than a bit of timing) is that the only places it goes wrong is when you try to front cross when you are behind her. That's not to say that it can't be done, but I am not sure there is an advantage in it. If you are going to try to FC from behind, she will need to learn to wrap around you a little better and come to the hand presented.

I think she has a very late commitment point to an obstacle. In that with a jump she basically has to be nearly over it before she is committed to completing it otherwise she drops momentum and will pull off the bar.

Lots of different reasons for this. I think often we cause this by giving them a bad line to the obstacle. Lots of very small, 1-2 sequences should fix this as well as your own commitment level. I was watching a guy run this morning. His handling method was to put his arm up to signal a jump & then drop it. The dogs response was to pull off every time his arm drop. As soon as he disconnected from the obstacle, so did the dog. It is certainly something I have had to work on.

We do a lot of practice just driving over straight lines of jumps to build drive - or have done with some success in the past.

What about on curves? Seems like her drive on a straight is very good, probably a result of your exercises.

Not tried any of that leading hand exercise stuff - are there any good explanations available on the web or dvds or books - any recommendations.

Will have a look, but basically it is just teaching them to follow your hand and that whichever hand is out is the one they will be rewarded from.

She won't hold a lead out anymore which is why I usually don't. Also occasionally when I have tried a lead out she won't come off the start line.

Ready, set go game?

I will say though we had our first bit of luck last night. I had just 2 jumps set up at right angles (lower then her normal jump height) and for the first time I was able to get her driving over the jumps with enthusiasm and then using a tuggy or a thrown ball to reward rather than having to use food. She isn't a highly toy driven dog but we have been working steadily and she is getting better. Still very much when the environment is right but its better.

Great news! Lots of these small exercises can only be a good thing.

I just went & did some little videos, will put them in the Agility Foundation thread, some of them are relevant to the above.

Edited by Vickie