Water Bucket Mayhem

Allerzeit

Ohhhh, my first "puppy problem" question :) Funny how I can cope with destructive Rottweiler pups, but a little BC Madam has me scratching my head - too many brains :drink:

Meet Molly - our 11 week old Border Collie. Miss Confident and into everything - butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, would it?

1march4.jpg

I've come across an interesting problem and I think I need some innovative suggestions from the clever people on DOL on how to overcome it :cheer:

We noticed a while ago that Molly was a sucker for the water bucket, as many pups are. She would tip it over and play in the water any chance she got. So - we tied the bucket to the side of one of the crates. "Plan foiled" we crowed to ourselves......

Starting last night, the little darling has worked out that she can half jump into the bucket and madly dig in it - sending water everywhere. She will empty a 10 litre bucket full of water if given the chance.

Initially I thought it was the bucket - we had changed to using a large, rectangular coup cup as we could easily attach it to the side of the crate. Well, it seemed to be just the right size, height and depth for her to fit in nicely :champagne: Water everywhere.

This morning we decided to try going back to the larger bucket, tying it to the crate, thinking that it would be harder for her to get into. Wrong ;) It just means more water to play with.

When Molly starts digging the water we immediately growl in a deep voice to get her to stop, then distract her away from the bucket with a toy. This works sometimes, and other times she will go straight back to the bucket.

Can anyone suggest any other methods of training her to not dig in the bucket? Alternatively - any thoughts on how we can modify the bucket, or provide a different water supply, so that she (and the other dogs) can still access water, but Molly can't get into it and spread it everywhere? I was initially thinking of some sort of lid with a hole cut in the middle, allowing the head access but not the legs - but for the size of the hole I would need to make to allow for a boofy Rotty head, Molly would probably be able to squeeze her way in and then be at risk of drowning :cheers: so I gave that up as a bad idea.

On the plus side - the tiles around the bucket are lovely and shiny, as they are being wetted and mopped upteem times a day :)

Had simillar problem with my shepherds, save as they got older they would also steal the bucket. We use a nice solid concrete bucket outside now, but to stop digging???? What about filling the bucket with rocks too. So its to heavy to tip and if you get the right shaped rocks, not as easy to dig?

BC though, she may be too smart :champagne:

Thanks guys, appreciate it :)

What sort of ACV do you use TB? Does it have to be the unprocessed stuff, or can you use the stuff you buy in the supermarket. I have a big container of ACV in the cupboard, but it's the processed supermarket stuff.

Definitely some ideas for me to try :champagne:

You know, she was just doing it again a minute ago - it's not all the time, just when she's in spaz mode :cheers: I told her off and distracted her, then watched her go back to the bucket so I could try and tell her off as she started - well, instead of digging she just stuck her whole muzzle in and blew bubbles :drink: several times :)

I now have this Border Collie who is as wet as a shag, I've removed the water bucket while she's being a spaz, so she is barking at our old Rotty instead, and jumping around like an idiot.

Heaven help us ;)

Hey Allerzeit could you teach her to drink out of one of those bottle things like they use for rabbits and guinea pigs??? :champagne:

Not sure of a solution, but i wish you luck. Failing that she can come stay with me!

Guest border collie employee

Allerzeit

I know exactly how frustated you feel. When my bc was the same age as your nipper she liked to do exactly the same thing. This would be incorperated with running around the lounge jumping from one sofa to the next and also digging out the all the cushions because she believed they belonged on the floor, then after everything was done to her bc satisfaction she would then head staight for her waterbowl to do a bit of skinny dipping. Mind you everything was always done in the same order, it never varied. :rofl::)

well another water crazed BC, :confused: why doesn't that surprise me, both my bitches were water diggers as pups and still love the water today, how i combated the waterbowl digging, bought them a clam shell, from bigw about $15, half filled it with water and they learnt to dig the water in there instead of the water bowl, its much more fun with more water to play in they just forgot about the water bowls, they will still dig their water bowls out only if they get hot and the clam pool hasn't been filled. other than that i would use rocks in the bottom of the bowls. :(

Oh how i feel ur pain.. My puppy has being doing that since i got her 3 months ago. it is a big game to her. The other day she thought it would be fun to pick up her water bowl full of water and put it near the computer... Good Luck with it. hehe

My Golden Retriever pup does the same, I still haven't figured out a way to have him just drink from the water bowl instead of play in it lol. I just keep a towel on hand to dry off wet paws.

Your pup is too cute, good luck I hope you find the answer!

Not sure if this is going to help, but at least it might give you hope. My little girl (BC) did exactly what you are describing for a number of months and then two things happened.

1. We started taking her to the beach.

2. We bought a swimming pool for her (just one of those clam shell thingies for about $15). :)

She now loves to splash about in that one and pretty much leaves the bucket alone (even drinks out of the clam shell - YUCK - after she has been running through the garden all morning it's a science experiment about 1/2 the time! ;) )

She does seem to have 'grown out' of the water bucket phase though.

Oh yeah - please don't tell the council about the clam shell, I'm sure it's wasting water.

Tony

BTW - your little one is gorgeous. We are just going through the joy of another BC puppy at 18 weeks, he's beginning to look like a dog, but I'm beginning to wonder if the breeder has been crossing elephants with BC's :rofl: , he's going to be a much bigger boy than our petite little girl!

well another water crazed BC, ;) why doesn't that surprise me, both my bitches were water diggers as pups and still love the water today, how i combated the waterbowl digging, bought them a clam shell, from bigw about $15, half filled it with water and they learnt to dig the water in there instead of the water bowl, its much more fun with more water to play in they just forgot about the water bowls, they will still dig their water bowls out only if they get hot and the clam pool hasn't been filled. other than that i would use rocks in the bottom of the bowls. :rofl:

Clam shell wont work for me, i fill it, she drags it around and flips it over :)

well another water crazed BC, ;) why doesn't that surprise me, both my bitches were water diggers as pups and still love the water today, how i combated the waterbowl digging, bought them a clam shell, from bigw about $15, half filled it with water and they learnt to dig the water in there instead of the water bowl, its much more fun with more water to play in they just forgot about the water bowls, they will still dig their water bowls out only if they get hot and the clam pool hasn't been filled. other than that i would use rocks in the bottom of the bowls. :rofl:

Clam shell wont work for me, i fill it, she drags it around and flips it over :)

OMG that must be one big dog! I can't imagine both mine doing that even if they learned to work together and had thumbs! :rofl:

OMG that must be one big dog! I can't imagine both mine doing that even if they learned to work together and had thumbs! :rofl:

yep, huge dog

all 16kgs of her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3VyDOzKMNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRhuVGrO8W8

I dont have a video of her flipping it tho. She drags it around when it is totally full