How Did You Teach Heel?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ness - c'mon tell us your secrets - how did you teach heel?

DVD's this weekend...... hopefully :thumbsup: (how many times have I promised that now?!?!? - i've lost count)!

WMR and Lablover - I hate, hat HATE the lead!!!! ARGH! I can never figure out where to hold it, what to do with it when heeling. I NEVER train with it so the result is a horrible heeling dog for CCD :rofl:..... soo glad I can move on now :rofl:.... although now after saying that his heeling will probably be terrible for Novice, just to spite me :rofl:.

I did some heeling with Leo last night and with all of the 'lead' practice, he is heeling wider than normal.... lol - back a few paces to get him into the right position again :(.

oooh - Ness.... my Kay laurence books arrived...... all except the Bl&&dy obedience one :rofl:..... I want it, I need it...... :rofl:

i agree leo thats why at club ishove the end in my pocket if im in a class or i pop a long line on very lifght weight if im trianing alone the end is clippped to my jeans so noone can tell me off for having a dog off lead because we do a lot of two food and running away i like the long line gives us freedom but we are still obeying the rules Wit my advanced dog i dont bother because he would never leav the area we are working too nervous but with the pup i use it as an umbilical cord just incase he sees a pretty girl and forgets his trianing he hasnt had much exposure to lots of other dogs and gets rather excited about the whole dog club thing

We do a lot of dooling heeling which really teachs where and how to find heel

hi, I've always taught heel on the move by praising and reinforcing the correct position. I have never heard of teaching a static heel, could someone direct me towards some info (maybe online) that will explain this to me better? It sounds like a really good way to train and I'd love to learn more! Thanks

Buster is 5 years old and STILL learning heel. but thats my fault. he was a difficult dog and i wasn't consistent till about a year ago. he is still difficult but he is a LOT better then he used to be. he heels well all except when there is a distraction.but even that is improving.

at first i used the "haul them back method" it was stupid of me to even expect him to learn. i regret that, but he caught on well to using treats to get his attention and his position right and also when i'm out now and he is pulling towards another dog. i put him in a down position. he has a bit of a whinge but he heels well afetr that

Buster is 5 years old and STILL learning heel. but thats my fault. he was a difficult dog and i wasn't consistent till about a year ago. he is still difficult but he is a LOT better then he used to be. he heels well all except when there is a distraction.but even that is improving.

Interesting - does a dog ever 'stop' learning heel, or do you meant hat he as yet is not fully aware of where heel is? IMO, proofing for heel is something constant. I took my boy in for Novice training yesterday and it was a 'disaster'.... sure he 'heeled' but he wasn't 'there'.... my bad because I have not really been training properly of late. He was just making a lot of minor errors that he shouldn't have/ didn't say 6mths ago :thumbsup:. Constant proofing to keep them at their best......

Mind you I was VERY pleased he did a lovely constantine drop for the distance :)!