Puppy Driving Me Insane Help!

un1qua

I find with toilet training its about being able to watch them 100% of the time, so u can catch them in the act. If she starts to go in the wrong place, make a loud noise to distract her, then pick her up and race her out to the right place, when she completes the "task" in the right place then BIG rewards. If you cant be watching her 100% of the time, then she should be in the area where she is aloud to toilet, so she doesnt have the opportunity to make mistakes. If she has the run of the house etc, she will get in the habit of going in the wrong place. If she is in the right area when she needs to go, then she will get in the habit of going in the right place. If you are having dinner etc and want her inside, but u cant watch her, then crate her. Dont forget to watch for all the times when she might go, like after eating, after sleeping, when excited, after play, when circling or sniffing. Catch her doing the Right thing, and ALWAYS praise when going in the right place.

Good luck

Am smiling as I write this because have recently gone throught the same situation. Tyke is now 9months old and after months of frustration, smelly carpets and generally wondering what I was doing wrong he has suddenly got it.

I have never had a problem toilet training before and my other two dogs are absolutely wonderful in this area and think that just as human babies have different rates of development Tyke is just a slow learner. Barring any medical problems with your pup just keep up the positive reinforcement training and of course try not to get too stressed yourself (difficult I know).

Good luck

Thanks for all the input guys, at least I know I'm not the only one now. A year sounds pretty grim tho' lol. Thought we were making a breakthru for a few days there till she pooped on the bedroom floor yesterday when I got lax thinking she had the idea and left the door open. Smack on the bum for me - patience is a virtue......

Hiya. Seeing as you are a very experienced doggie person, I would have a vet examination. Monah was houstrained and after desexing had a small hormonal problem which led to leakage and some wetting that we fixed up quickly with medication. I know your dog is too young to have been desexed, but this experience led me to discover that there are many many dogs with urinary type problems that show up as toiliet training issues, which quite surprised me. I would get it checked out just in case and keep a record of how many times etc. it happens, how often blah blah blah, you know what I mean, so that you are armed with info when you see the vet. They can only go by what info you give them so it's best to be prepared. Also a first wee of the day sample is important in case there is an infection. then it can be picked up straight away and dealt with immediately. Wishing you lots of luck, :confused:

Can't offer any advice as our two still aren't reliable but whoever it was who mentioned paper towel! My goodness we should take stocks out in a paper towel company and spray and wipe.

:cry: Me too!!Stocked up on extra tonnes for new pup after taking 6 months to train Monah properly, and bloody pup came 'trained' at 8 weeks!! Now have whole cupboard of useless paper towel!!!! Just shows you, never plan ahead! :confused: