Dropping Coat

I was looking back at piccies of my boy and :confused: OMG he has dropped soo much coat!!!

Is it normal for a desexed dog to loose so much coat? How long does it take for them to grow back to full coat?

Coat now:

IMG_4035.jpg

Coat Nov Last year:

IMG_3576.jpg

Rheneas had a major change of coat after he was desexed at about 12 months. Everything changed, coat length and 'balance' between undercoat and topcoat. It has never gone back, two years later the changed coat is now his normal coat. He would be a Shetland Sheepdog cross Spitz-type (maybe Pom, not sure of course, RSPCA rescue). Read somewhere that Irish Setters have a dramatic coat quality change once they are desexed - is this 'normal' for all breeds and crosses or more usual in some than others?

I guess groomers would be the best people to have seen this (or not seen it) with many breeds to know which are affected.

He hasn't undergone any surgery of any kind - just dropped a whole heap of hair.

I asked his breeder as she is a groomer (and obviously has seen him a lot) and she believes it is part drought weather (apparently a lot of the dogs going through her shop have been doing weird and wonderful things) and just a drop into summer coat.

I hope it grows back coz I miss all the fuzzy hair ;). But if you look at him, I think he is growing it back now as the hair is very wispy an the undercoat thick!

I just wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be worried health wise :laugh:

• 2 months later...
I was looking back at piccies of my boy and :laugh: OMG he has dropped soo much coat!!!

Is it normal for a desexed dog to loose so much coat? How long does it take for them to grow back to full coat?

Coat now:

IMG_4035.jpg

Coat Nov Last year:

IMG_3576.jpg

Coat now: It is growing back fast :laugh::)

IMG_4401.jpg

LOL - nope - nothing has changed other than the weather :laugh:.

I'm just so glad he isn't so nekkid anymore :laugh:

I'm dreading to see what Kinta will be like when she drops coat for her seasons :)

This is her now:

IMG_4425-1.jpg

Edited by leopuppy04

:)

Kinta and Leo have very different heads. His is much more "bulky". Is it a trait of male aussies?

the males do tend to have 'bulkier' heads. Although it is assentuated in my pair as Kinta's head takes after her sire's side of the family - which tend to be a lot sharper. I'm not a real fan of her head myself coz I love the boofheads :laugh:.

Leo's head is beautiful IMO, although his muzzle is a little shorter than what it should be :laugh:

Kinta and Leo have very different heads. His is much more "bulky". Is it a trait of male aussies?

the males do tend to have 'bulkier' heads. Although it is assentuated in my pair as Kinta's head takes after her sire's side of the family - which tend to be a lot sharper. I'm not a real fan of her head myself coz I love the boofheads :laugh:.

Leo's head is beautiful IMO, although his muzzle is a little shorter than what it should be :laugh:

Oh I also noticed something else. Leo's ears on all the pics are pretty low in a submissive/respectful way but Kinta's are high (in a more attentive/interested way). I realized that Midge used to be like Kinta at the beginning but now it more like Leo. Does it change with age?

the males do tend to have 'bulkier' heads. Although it is assentuated in my pair as Kinta's head takes after her sire's side of the family - which tend to be a lot sharper. I'm not a real fan of her head myself coz I love the boofheads :).

Oh I also noticed something else. Leo's ears on all the pics are pretty low in a submissive/respectful way but Kinta's are high (in a more attentive/interested way). I realized that Midge used to be like Kinta at the beginning but now it more like Leo. Does it change with age?

Different lines again- and just different ear sets :laugh:. Leo's just naturally sit a little lower - both are technically correct. Aussies ears should be semi-erect but the length of ear can't reach past the tip of the eye... so - that means if you grab midge's ear and pull it toward the centre of her eyes, it shouldn't reach past there :)

http://www.shalakoaussies.com/BreedStandard_Ears.html

This is a good website too :laugh:

the males do tend to have 'bulkier' heads. Although it is assentuated in my pair as Kinta's head takes after her sire's side of the family - which tend to be a lot sharper. I'm not a real fan of her head myself coz I love the boofheads :).

Different lines again- and just different ear sets :laugh:. Leo's just naturally sit a little lower - both are technically correct. Aussies ears should be semi-erect but the length of ear can't reach past the tip of the eye... so - that means if you grab midge's ear and pull it toward the centre of her eyes, it shouldn't reach past there :)

http://www.shalakoaussies.com/BreedStandard_Ears.html

This is a good website too :laugh:

I will be doing some ears pulling tonight :)

Thanks for a great website