Who Wants To Pick On Leopuppy!

Ok guys - thanks to Jesomil remembering and Shoey for taping - I got some footage of Leo heeling. I didn't realise my camera only allows for 1 min allotments, which is why it cuts off 1/2 way through.

It isn't his best heeling as we noticed (it is quite obvious!) that Leo was lame.... it really showed up in this sequence but it wasn't really showing up before. What a good little boy - still keen as mustard despite his sore leg :rofl:.

I'd love to have some pointers etc/ let me know what you think - we are novice level :rofl:

Be nit picky, but be kind too :rofl:

Cheers :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfmHaP4uIII

Leo is fantastic at heeling and even better when you see him in real life!!

Ok, it is hard to see and extremely hard to be picky, but if you want nitpicking................. does he anticipate the heel command after the first drop?

Leo is fantastic at heeling and even better when you see him in real life!!

Ok, it is hard to see and extremely hard to be picky, but if you want nitpicking................. does he anticipate the heel command after the first drop?

haha Jesomil - I had to watch it again :). Yes I think he is borderline anticipation ;) - He can do that occasionally and take off a fraction before I actually command 'heel' so i'm wondering if I am giving a very subtle signal just prior. Will keep that in mind to work on though :thumbsup:

Thanks Burlof - Hopefully i'll see you tomorrow! Did you want me to bring a spare crate for you? If not I can always share mine ;) You'll love Ruffey Lake :(

LOL nope leo's turns are much nicer than Ness but hopefully we can fix that.

Ness wants a new handler for tomorrow - great pair we are going to make with her leg and my back deciding to play up. :thumbsup: .

ETA was it a called heel pattern or did you just make it up - I found I am heaps more confident when I am just making up a heel pattern as I go compared with somebody calling it. Anticipation can show up even more then. Especially if your like me and nervous as hell so therefore you anticipate yourself and not just the dog.

Edited by ness

i think you duck your head slightly just before you take off in heel

it looks good be careful when trianing to vary the time you stay n each position you may find your holding each position for around the same amount of seconds also be careful that you are varying the distance between each turn and position people tend to form patterns without realising it can you gt a few people to record call outs for you to listen to on an mp3 whiler working the dog

he looks great though but if he tends to anticipate thats what i would oh and start teaching him positions on the move that will help him learn to wait for the right cue to take of also when you have him in postion make minor movements without indictaing heel so he learns not to move ff to quickly so if you halt and need to brush hair out of your face he doesnt jump up lol

Sas, I got picked up for bending down recently when we did an intro trial. She said I bent down and stayed down too long and I should just give the sharp hand signal and be done with it.

So when I tried that I was horrified the dog didn't drop !!! :thumbsup: such a basic thing but because I was in this terrible routine of bending down and dragging it out until she got there by just telling her drop and giving a quick sharp signal she looked at me like I was stupid. So we have been working on that the past few weeks and she is getting much better.

I think it's okay to bend your knees, but like not right to the ground, just enough to give the signal in front of their face.>>? But I'm no expert, the others who are more into trialing will pop along with the correct answers.

Edited by Burlof

Thanks guys - keep the tips coming!

Ok - will work on varying time and recording some call outs!!!

Have already started working on the positions on the move and he does them really well.

Did he jump up??? Me confused?? LOL - yes my hair usually is out of my face :)

Dogdude- :thumbsup::( Do ya know at my last trial I was told off for the complete opposite!!!! The judge told me that my signals were too fancy for a CCD/ Novice dog and I should bend down lower to give my drop signal as my dog was occasionally not to sure about the signal I gave! My instructor says the same ;).... What do you recommend I should do??

He looks lovely but i would get rid of such an obvious hand signal too. Otherwise its one more thing you have to wean off later so why not do it now? Your instuctor and judges would hate to see my hand signals- or lack of for a drop. I expect my dog to be paying enough attention so that i don't have to be quite so obvious.

eventually you want your signals without too much bending in front of the face so us little dog owners can bend a bit i give all my signals at waist height though.

was the person ajudge who told you not to bend burlof

extended sgnal is if you hodl it there after you have said drop like waiting for the dog to do it however if i was ina trial and i had reason to beleve the dog wasnt going down i'd hold the signal and lose a couple of points for extension over lsing a lot of points for non compliance

In trianing try getting your signals miniscule and also work on voice only and signal only most epopel try sigs only but a lot of dogs dont respond to voice only

Leo when i said jump up i meant anticipate sorry bout that.

it all goes back to how well does you dog know the cue will he do t with you behind something with your back turned you standing on a chair lying down etc

do you ffer an extra bit of body languange that he has picked up for example my dog will drop anywhere anytime but i actually move my left foot a tiny bit wehn i give the signal and when i didnt move the foot he didnt drop i never even saw i was doing it tll someone pointed it out

we ofte use a lt more body language than we realise then in a trial when your nervous all that extra language goes out and it becomes like communcating in broken sentences

Hi Leopuppy

The trial rules state "A signal should be a single gesture of the hands/and or arms only"

There are various opinions in the interpretation of this I have found. Some judges are very harsh on it, where others are not. Not all judges have the same level of experience either.

I had a judge in the runthroughs get totally confused because I chose retreive on flat rather than change of position for novice! I have had some good suggestions given by judges at times, i've also had some really lame ones as well.

The point is, your dog seems to have great focus, so why do it? Why fix something that isn't broke? I would say that if a judge told me that my hand signals are too flash for CCD, but are giving me the impression that they are ok for higher classes, I would be more than confused too, as it does not make sense! You are essentially teaching UD right from the start! :thumbsup:

ETA:

If your dog is a little unsure of the hand signal sometimes, have a good look to the point where your dog is actually focusing on, and you should find the answer.

The dog may be also waiting for your waist bending cue.

Edited by dogdude

I give all signals from waist height with no movement of the body as i think it looks neater than bending over.

If the dog is trained to watch you when heeling, they should be watching you already so you dont have to get into their face.

Also, if you teach your dog to do a command with only voice or only signal, then in a trial they are getting both so it would be very hard for them to miss.