Help! My Puppy Just Lifted His Leg

happy.grl

I need help deciphering some behaviour. Is this a dominance thing or a possesive thing?? :D

i've googled but it seems like it could be either. It's never happened before, and I think he views me as the alpha - at least he obeys my commands and he follows me around all the time.

At least i caught him before he started to... well, you know :o

Any ideas on what this is, and how to stop it?

thanks

Diesel lifted his leg on a guy's leg at the park the other day :o

He has never done this before, I was so embarrassed! :( He spent ages sniffing the guys pants first, maybe there were some really nice smells there :D

Sorry for the late reply.

Akira is just on 6 months old. I'm leaning towards this being a marking thing. He also does not like when I play with other dogs - jealousy??

As long as I can catch him before it starts I'll be ok.

My boy is due to be desexed at the end of the month - we were going to do it next fortnight, but we have overseas visitors with a toddler, and it's probably better to wait until they are gone, as he might be a bit tender - although I do have 5 days off work so I could look after him. Maybe I should speak to the vet??

he's just being an adolescent. Dont go panicing about alpha this dominance that. If he tries it again grab him by the scruff and put him outside, ignore him for a while.

You THINK he see's you as the alpha? Or does he see you as just a source of food and attention when he wants it? Have a good think about this. Does he paw you, whine, scratch or do things without you commanding him - and do you give him attention/food for it?

As for him not liking you playing with other dogs - who asked him. I Would completely remove him from the situation if he gets antsy or aggressive. Seems like you lack some leadership to the dog and he's taking over. Get his nuts out, and then work on making HIM work for everything. Remember everything on YOUR terms. You give a request and he gets a reward when he completes it properly, not just as he wants it.

You THINK he see's you as the alpha? Or does he see you as just a source of food and attention when he wants it? Have a good think about this. Does he paw you, whine, scratch or do things without you commanding him - and do you give him attention/food for it?

As for him not liking you playing with other dogs - who asked him. I Would completely remove him from the situation if he gets antsy or aggressive. Seems like you lack some leadership to the dog and he's taking over. Get his nuts out, and then work on making HIM work for everything. Remember everything on YOUR terms. You give a request and he gets a reward when he completes it properly, not just as he wants it.

I used the word think, cos who really knows what a dog is thinking.

We are practising NILF, he rarely paws or whines, occassionally will do things without a command, but he is still a puppy :p He's OK 90% of the time. He wants a pat - he has to sit. He wants a treat - he has to shake hands. He wants to go upstairs - he goes into a sit/stay until I give the release

When he gets narky at other dogs my partner will normally grab him and remove him, while I will continue with the other dog in question until he calms down completely, then, and only then, will I give him attention.

I'm still pretty new at all of this though, and there's things that i'm still unsure about.

Thanks for the replies all. I'll take it all on board, and who knows - when he gets the snip maybe he'll be a different puppy :)

He hasn't tried again in a couple of days, which is promising. Although we think that he has tried to mount my OH's leg.

Oh the joys of a puppy :provoke:

(I can't remember what life was like without him - and I don't really want to) :cry: