Cocker Pup Problem !

frank

well after reading your posts it seems the mend is happening already . he is a lot more obedient today . we played ball . chase, etc . and treats afterward . afterthe dog sat down 1st that is . not once did he growl or attack . he played soccer with the kids too . when things started looking rough , we just folded our arms and looked up . and he lost interest immediately. i give him a little motorbike ride daily . he sits on the tank and loves it . . was easy to get him not to chase the bikes anymore either . he really didnt seem interested in doing so ( luck today) .

the one thing though that i dont know how to control is when i , or anyone else gets down to his level . then he wants a restle . what do i do for that one ?

a little humour for you( because nothing happened) i agree under no circumstances a child be left with a dog . BUT !!!!! ; WHEN my son was crawling he was out the back with our german shepard ( irresponsible i know) we heard the german shepard yelping loudly , we ran straight outside to see our son, with he's 2 hands opening the dogs mouth and biting the dogs tongue . what i loyal trustworthy dog was that .

a little humour for you( because nothing happened) i agree under no circumstances a child be left with a dog . BUT !!!!! ; WHEN my son was crawling he was out the back with our german shepard ( irresponsible i know) we heard the german shepard yelping loudly , we ran straight outside to see our son, with he's 2 hands opening the dogs mouth and biting the dogs tongue . what i loyal trustworthy dog was that .

I'm sorry Frank, but I just don't find that even a little bit amusing. That could have turned out so badly - you and your son are VERY lucky that your dog didn't do anything. A (crawling) baby should never have been left unsupervised, let alone outside with a big dog by themselves. You have also contradicted yourself a little there about leaving kids with dogs unsupervised (ie the problems you are having at the moment). Yes I do have kids and I wouldn't leave them alone with ANY dog no matter how much i trusted that dog.

kendall

the one thing though that i dont know how to control is when i , or anyone else gets down to his level . then he wants a restle . what do i do for that one ?

This was created by your response of rough house play etc.Time needs to be spent in training the dog what he should be doing including the humans.

You as the adult now need to spend time daily sitting down & teaching pup manners,once you feel you have some sort of control introduce the kids but its important not to introduce the kids if there going to act silly.

This pup really has no idea what quiet time means & how rewarding quiet time is.all he nows at present is on the ground he can play rough & in return the response is rougher

Frank,can I ask a personal question Buddy?When you were growling at your Pup, may I ask what Breed you were pretending to be?LOL

All jokes aside Frank, you already know about Dog Leadership and how it functions.I see the bottomline here being to make sure your Daughter understands Pack Structure and Dynamics so she can through her behaviour take position in the pack above the Pup. tony