Jumping At The Door...

~JoLu~

Howdy

Wonder if any one can help me stop my nearly 7mth old Ridgy jumping at the door.... He's already destroyed the screen door and as he gets bigger I worry about him coming through the glass sliding door :thumbsup: . Sometimes he "paws" at it whilst standing on his back legs and other times he does flying leaps past the door. This makes me worry about what damage he may be doing to his growing bones...

We've tried ignoring him when he does it. This works to a point. He does figure out that he's not going to get the attention he wants and will find something else (probably naughty :rofl:) to do .

If he does it when we're about to go out there (ie. to walk/feed/play etc) then we make sure he is sitting calmly before we exit. Other that this I've run out of ideas!!! It is difficult to "correct" the actual jumping as he is on one side of the door and we're on the other - and his objective is to be on the same side as us!!!!

This is really his only annoying puppy problem and I'm more worried about him hurting himself (doors can be replaced).

Any positive suggestions welcome ...

I actually had to remove my flyscreen door after Bruno (also a ridgy) launched himself literally through it one day! Now the glass door is all that remains. I find closing the curtains so he cant see whats going on inside helps calm him. Or else I let him in. I know I know, its giving in, but he just wants to come in and be close to me. He only seems to do it when excited, like when he hears me come home or hears the car keys jingling and his lead dragging along the ground! He's now 5 months and it has certainly lessened. Sorry, no great advice, except to wait it out.

Bella also does this. I've also done all of the things you've suggested including putting gates in front of the door, so she can't scratch.

I'm also still at a loss. Bella never seems to tire. Like it's a fun game.

I've also tried distraction and sending her to her mat or bed. So far, no luck.

if the issue is hes outside and acting a loony until he has contact with you - its simple - stand and wait on one side of the door - even if its for hours sit and wait - the penny will eventually drop that it isnt working - he will calm down and try something else - behaviour modification - when he does something desirable open the door and reward - my boy used to bark and carry on when i got home from work - didnt damage anything but i didnt want him being a loony everytime i walked thru the door.

My neighbours must have thought i had lost the plot.....i would only appraoch the front door when he was quiet and then stand at the front door with my key the moment he made a noise is took a few steps back away from the door - wait a few seconds and try again until he got the mesage that i wasnt coming in until he was quiet now he sits quietly by the door and waits (almost busting out of his skin but he does wait until im thru the door!) :thumbsup:

my neighbour already see me doing lots of weird things in the street with my 2 :thumbsup:

i am currently doing lots of lead work and walking back and forth and round in circles outside my house :laugh::rofl: i also get them to lie down in the middel of the road (its a quiet street :laugh:)

Hi Akitaowner - we were just ignoring him completely but perhaps the missing link was the rewarding him when he does something good :thumbsup: !!!

Sounds like good advice thanks....

Fortuntately I enter the house via a garage so my neighbours can't see what I'm up too (did that come out wrong???).

One of our girls used to do that.

What I did was stand just inside the door sort of behind the curtain and when she did it opened the door and sprayed

her with water from one of those spray bottles.She stopped after a couple of times.