Barley Bags/heat Pack

Rhi

It's finally raining here in Adelaide (first time in a loooooong time). The nights are getting much colder.

I'm looking to make a home made heat pack to put on the bottom of Sable's kennel, then cover it in bedding to keep him warm at night time. The finished bag size will be about 90cm x 90cm x 2cm deep, I'm going to make it out of canvas or heavy calico.

My question is does any one have a recipe/ratio of grains to use. And also are any grains not recommended for dogs (ie wheat or barley)?

Sable is a monster chewer/destroyer, HE WILL RIP THIS APART, when he does I can simply sweep up the grains and make him a new one.

TIA

Rhi

if he is allowed to get accustomed to the weather as it gradualy gets cooler and has an appropriate kennel - he shouldnt need a heat mat :thumbsup:

i just use plenty of blankets as they tend to push them around anyway

i have also put a flap of clear plastic (table cloth type cover) over the door to stop the drafts :laugh:

Akitaowner: Plastic flap is a very clever idea. I guess I had last nights situation in mind more specifically. He has plenty of shelter but persists on standing in the rain and getting soaked. He went to bed wet, which wet his bedding. I think a heat pack will help prevent the cold setting in.

FTPO: They do look good, my only concern is the chemicals inside. I hate to think he'd chew it and get sick.

Edited by Rhi

it doesnt say whats in it - i dont trust 'bite proof' plastic if you have chewer....

Hey Rhi are you going to heat your pad somehow? or do the grains just insulate?

I'm talking about the packs everyones grandma owns, it's a wheat or barley bag and the whole thing goes in the microwave for about 2 minutes and keeps it's heat for a fare while.

What breed do you have? Unless you have a whippet, Italian greyhound, hairless etc. which shouldn't really be outside dogs anyway, you do not need to provide heating during winter, especially in a mild climate like Adelaide. A normal healthy dog is perfectly capable of generating enough heat to keep itself warm and any form of heating is totally unnecessary.

my baby girl found it fun to pul the flap off the first few times (its removeable anyway) but has chewed it a bit - no real dramas - its about a buck a mt! and i have heaps

she has now worked out its more benificial to leave it in place - they have also worked out how to still get in the kennel (was a challenge to start with)

my only issue would be possibly a fabulous fungal infection situation - nice warm and wet :thumbsup:

maybe he will get the idea that he will be cold at night if he stands out in the rain?

Rhi i just wondered how you would heat something that size? wont fit in the microwave or oven?!!

my baby girl found it fun to pul the flap off the first few times (its removeable anyway) but has chewed it a bit - no real dramas - its about a buck a mt! and i have heaps

she has now worked out its more benificial to leave it in place - they have also worked out how to still get in the kennel (was a challenge to start with)

my only issue would be possibly a fabulous fungal infection situation - nice warm and wet :laugh:

maybe he will get the idea that he will be cold at night if he stands out in the rain?

Rhi i just wondered how you would heat something that size? wont fit in the microwave or oven?!!

:thumbsup: Just imagining myself shoving a huge big bag of barley in the microwave. Hind sight is a wonderful thing.

Fungal infection won't be fun... just thought I could find something to keep him warm (spoil him) that was natural enough that it didn't matter if he destroyed it.

I guess yourself and Miranda are right, he does have his think winter coat on already.

ETA: Just so people don't think I neglect him, I'd take the heat pack off him first thing in the morning but he is up HOURS before I am!

Edited by Rhi

its fien i dont think you neglect him :laugh: mine are outside all day and allowed to come into the lounge quietly for a cuddle in the evening before bed in the rumpus room.

but i have left them outside all night - if ive been out in the city etc until the morning.

make sure he has lots of blankets - mine tend to drag the blankets out during the day - but again this has pretty much stopped now they realise that they get wet out on the deck and that its no fun to then sleep on a wooden floor! :thumbsup:

if you want to do something i would be making heaps (maybe 5)of little ones that do fit in the microwave maybe A5 sorta size they could be put around the edge of the bed or something?

ensure pup can get up off the ground a raise bed is essential for warmth :laugh:

Yeah 5 or 6 littler ones is a better idea... it won't be one big mess of grains it will be 6 smaller deposits of grains. :thumbsup:

His kennel is off the ground.

I think I'll hold off for a while, rain is forcasted for all next week, I should know by the end of next week whether he has gained any 'smarts' or not!!!

Thanks for your help.

post-15351-1177649301_thumb.jpg

Just a word of warning about the wheat filled warmers! I made a couple for my older dogs for cold nights, heated them in the microwave and they worked great. After a few weeks of this one evening I thought they had a bit of a burning smell so undid the stitching at one end and some of the grains were actually black, hot and almost smouldering!! Scary stuff! My oldies now have a hot water bottle each wrapped in a blanket, I reckon a leak is better than a fire!

Can I suggest cardboard as a good insulator? Old boxes are fine and it's no trouble if it gets chewed/ bit soggy- just replace.

Polar fleece blankets don't soak up water, either and might be OK. I have a few old baby's ones for the dogs when it's colder.

My poodles both sleep outside under cover, but no kennel. South Coast, NSW, but near the coast so it doesn't get as cold overnight. I'd guess an Airedale's coat is of similar weight to a poodle.

I think it's nice you're wanting to keep him comfortable. He's only a pup, after all.