Joined New Club Today

Not a very interesting topic, but I joined a new club tonight (Northern Obedience) and Oscar and I were very excited to meet all the new handlers and instructors. They fit in with our style of training which is always a bonus, and although our class was a little too large (close to 20 dogs), there was some quite sharp dogs in our trialling class, so I assume that the instructors must be very knowledgable.

Everyone seemed quite friendly, so its a :D for Northern!

Hi dogdude,

if you go down on the weekend you will probably find that the classes are a bit smaller as there are usually more instructors available than on Wednesday nites so they often split the classes.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. I have been a member of Northern for a few years now, can't say all my experiences have been positive, but I would expect nothing different from most clubs staffed by volunteers and I'm sure my training style is not everyone's cup of tea either - having said that, there are some terrific people down there who will really go out of their way to help you and are open to trying different things.

Might see you down there sometime.

Hi JulesP

Yes, we will be working on our "strays" :laugh:

We done a nice down stray last night :rofl: , he done a great sit stay first off, then sat up to play with a Rotty during the down. As soon as I moved, he dropped back down. Still, we will finally get the chance to proof him properly now.

The rest of his work though was fantastic. I have not seen him hold his drive for so long, especially with all of the new distractions. We have been working on "owning the trigger" (as described by K9) with his food drive. I was over the moon because he trained like he does at home. He would never work with the same amount of drive while out that I could get from him at home. I think that it was night time under lights made a big difference too.

KelpieChick: Look forward to meeting you, see you there some time. :rofl: I cant get there on Sundays because of work. I see on there website that class 5 starts at 11am, and class 6 at 10. Maybe I could get there occasionally when we move up to 6. I think they just done their graduation though.

Shoey: There was a nice working little staffy in my class too! I have not met them yet though.

Good on you Dogdude! Sounds great :laugh: Hope to see you at FOO nights again later in the year if they start them up again. They were excellent too, though I know a long way from you!

Thanks Arya!

Yes, we will return to the FOO nights, they were great! I'm sure I will catch up with you and Glorybea there. :thumbsup:

I hear that because they were so successfull, that they were going to start them up around October this time? They raised thousands of dollars for new equipment for KCC this year.

i am a member of northern..... been there for years, they a fairly good club, but they struggle to find people who want to be intructors.....they keep asking me :rofl: yaaa right like i got time :o :D

what class level are you in???

you will find there lower levels to have such large classes coz quite a few have joined at the start of the year, and takes a while for some to be passed up.

I am in class 5, and on some days i have a intructor to myself.....most of the time theirs about 5 or 6 in this class, we tend to do lots of ring work too, which is great.

hope to see you down there :thumbsup:

sam

Hi Wagalot

I too am in class 5!

I was there last Wednesday and also Sunday. On Wednesday, they must have mixed the class with class 4. On Sunday there was only 5 dogs. I was impressed that there were 103 new members last month. There must be a few budding instructors there somewhere. I am taking a break from instructing for a while. My uncle was an instructor there years ago and my father was a member during the late 70s. Both were at the Warringal branch.

I will mainly be there on a Wednesday night though due to work.

arrrr we were the last 2 to leave at the end.....u helped be a pole for figure 8s :) geeez didn't know it was u ;)

well know what ya look like now :eek: will se ya at club :)

will have try and organse that training session we were talking about a while ago......i am still intrested, just been very busy camping, working etc :D :p

sam

I go down to Northern on Wednesday nights too. We're in class 2 and will be for a while I think! I'm the one with the reactive kelpie. You'll usually see me wandering around the edges trying to stay away from everyone.

I also have a dog in class 6 but haven't taken her down for a while. Might bring her down and join class 5 on Wednesday just for a laugh!

Hi superminty :)

u should bring minty down......i haven't seen her for ages :eek:

yaaa if all goes to plan.....i will be their wednesday......see u all there :)

Edited by wagalot

Looks like Class 5 at Northern is the place to be for DOLers !

My older 2 dogs are also in Class 5 at Northern although we kinda quit on obedience class when I became obsessed with agility, so haven't worked either of them in obedience for about 3 years. (Plus have been too busy with the younger two)

Maybe I will bring one of them down for a 'comeback' one Wednesday nite :) and we can have a DOL social event !

Maybe I will bring one of them down for a 'comeback' one Wednesday nite :love: and we can have a DOL social event !

Do it, do it! Poor old Minty thought her obedience days were behind her but I still have plans for her to get her open title :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for a training group that meets in the evening in the northern suburbs and I have just come across Northern Obedience. Is it a positive reinforcement kind of training? Do they use check chains still? I remember going ther with my dad and our family dog when i was little.

Any info would be helpful

Cheers