Feeding My New Puppy

tryamartimmy

In my search on BARF and similar feeding I have read that potato shouldn't be fed to dogs, limit cabbage and sweet vegies like carrot and that chopping, grating or mashing vegies isn't enough -they need to be pulverised!!! (something to do with the cellulose I think - dogs can't digest it otherwise). Will try to find exactly what it says. Mum has 'borrowed' my new BARF books :birthday:

Mentioned BARF as it is bones and raw food like what you are feeding your pup.

Who'd have thought there was this much to learn about food and our dogs :confused:

In my search on BARF and similar feeding I have read that potato shouldn't be fed to dogs, limit cabbage and sweet vegies like carrot and that chopping, grating or mashing vegies isn't enough -they need to be pulverised!!! (something to do with the cellulose I think - dogs can't digest it otherwise). Will try to find exactly what it says. Mum has 'borrowed' my new BARF books :birthday:

Mentioned BARF as it is bones and raw food like what you are feeding your pup.

Who'd have thought there was this much to learn about food and our dogs :confused:

Totally correct.

Don't feed cabbage, onion, potato to dogs and garlic as well. Garlic is the same family as onion. I know people say to feed garlic as it worms and keeps flea's away. Garlic is a purgative. Yes it does have medicinal purposes but you would have to feed hugh ammounts for it to work.

All vegatables for dogs MUST be pulverised for dogs. Yes, it is the cellulose that they can't digest. Why manufactures put it in dog meat and dog rolls in cubes beats me.

While we are on the subject of food, I bought some chicken necks for my 6 month old pup and the butcher threw in a full chicken carcass to try. These are ok for dogs too arent they?

I give our dogs raw vegies which have been put through the processor. The mix includes apple, celery, pumpkin, brocolli, cauliflower and carrots. I mix this through their meat. I make up a big batch and then divide into portions and freeze it.

I read earlier that you fed pureed mushroom. I believe mushrooms are a no-no

While we are on the subject of food, I bought some chicken necks for my 6 month old pup and the butcher threw in a full chicken carcass to try. These are ok for dogs too arent they?

Yup, so long as it's raw.

Thanks, I gave her it raw, she loved it. Were off to the butcher tomorrow to buy a job lot :) How much nutrition is in these, ie are they a treat or to supplement a meal. She is a large dog. Thanks

Just a question, with regards to pulverising the fruits and veges etc, and also the no rice...

In the wild, dogs generally would be eating fruits vegetables and even some grains, in their natural form. Rarely would wild dogs be eating 100% meat on a daily basis?? My understanding is that often they have to travel long distances to finally pull down a big kill, which doesnt happen every day, and in between they would be eating small rodents, some fruits and veges etc (according to the wolf doco's i've read/watched etc!!!). Also, they would also at times be eating the contents of their kills stomachs etc wouldnt they? therefore eating some grains?

So why is rice so bad? And why is it better to blend up the fruits and veges?

I am so confused with all this, some of the natural stuff says to feed half meat, bones and then fruits and veges etc, whilst others say they shouldnt be getting that much meat because in the wild they wouldnt be, and too much protein in the diet can cause problems? And should be feeding grains in their natural form on top of?

Agghh soo confusing!!

I have been trying so so so hard to find actual research and studies from reputable, qualified people on this topic and have yet to find anything!!

I'm not at all saying its wrong, if anything, it makes more sense to me, but just so hard to know what is right because some say they eat grains in the wild, some say they dont!

And if they eat fruits and veges in the wild, surely they wouldnd blend it would they?! Please, someone explain this to me and give me something to read that is some sort of valid research study!!!

Because dogs are basically carnivores, their digestive system isn't set up for digesting much vegetable matter. By pulverising the vegies it helps break it down to make it easier. In the wild dogs would get their vegetable matter mainly from the intestines of the animals that they killed, so it is already partly digested. As for rice, I give our dogs/puppy rice. Not in large quantities but they still get it. If a dog has a gastric upset, the vet will recommend rice and chicken because it is bland and easy to digest.

When we bought our puppy, we were told to feed her a mix of premium dry food (currently use Nutro), chicken necks and raw chicken mince, which I mix with grated vegetables. Now that she is a bit older, I somethimes think we are overfeeding her as we still feed her twice a day, but she is very active and vet says she is just the right weight. I guess she must just work it off.

Because dogs are basically carnivores, their digestive system isn't set up for digesting much vegetable matter. By pulverising the vegies it helps break it down to make it easier. In the wild dogs would get their vegetable matter mainly from the intestines of the animals that they killed, so it is already partly digested. As for rice, I give our dogs/puppy rice. Not in large quantities but they still get it. If a dog has a gastric upset, the vet will recommend rice and chicken because it is bland and easy to digest.

yep - I know when our puppy had an upset tummy, the vet reccommended plain poached chicken.