Paw Paw Ointment

This stuff is great. I have even found it good for some small cuts I had on my hands as well as some splits on the dogs pads.

BUT does anyone know what it will do if consumed??? Jazz (AKA The TERROR!!!!) managed to get hold of the tube and consume some of it. Maybe 1/4 of a tube at the most. I am suspecting it will give her the runs. Little ratbag!

I have one who has an itchy scratchy spot and I use the pawpaw ointment to soothe that area.

The other wee doggies love to try and lick it off - must like the taste.

None of mine have ever ingested it in the 1/4 tube quantity though.

If its the Lucas' brand one, its an all natural product I think. Just looked at the tube and its fresh fermented fruit 39mg/g with a bit 0.1 mg/g of potassium sorbate as preservative.

Maybe google the potassium sorbate. Or there is always the poisons information centre..........

If its the Lucas' brand one, its an all natural product I think. Just looked at the tube and its fresh fermented fruit 39mg/g with a bit 0.1 mg/g of potassium sorbate as preservative.

Maybe google the potassium sorbate. Or there is always the poisons information centre..........

Yes well I thought that Jazz was being awful quiet and found her happily licking away at the end of the tube after chewing the lid off!

It is the Lucan Brand 1 and I just looked up the potassium sorbate and it is primarily used as a food preservative and derivd from blue berries, so there you go :cheer: So I think we will be ok, but I will stock with my thoughts that we may get a bit of the runs from it. So far she seems her normal self and has been eyeing off the remainde of the tube tht is up here! I am only taking a guess at the 1/4 of a tube as I had ued a fair bit already and there still seems to be a reasonable amount in there.

Very funny Luke......

Piper, I think you are probably correct about the runs. If that develops, may I suggest that you give the dog something called Inner Health Plus. Human health food shops sell it. Its a probiotic and manages the good bacteria in the gut vs the bad bacteria. It normalises things. Depending on size of dog, and presuming you have the powder in the fridge in either powder or capsule, my dogs are aprox 8-10kgs, and they get 1/4 of a teaspoon in a teaspoon of warm water. Don't use a metal measuring spoon as it reacts with the powder and neutralises to effect to some extent. Mine lap it out of a shallow bowl. Will help with any intestinal problem (runs) the dog has. The dog equivalent is called Protexin, and it comes most frequently in little 2gm sachets. Marvellous stuff.

Very funny Luke......

Piper, I think you are probably correct about the runs. If that develops, may I suggest that you give the dog something called Inner Health Plus. Human health food shops sell it. Its a probiotic and manages the good bacteria in the gut vs the bad bacteria. It normalises things. Depending on size of dog, and presuming you have the powder in the fridge in either powder or capsule, my dogs are aprox 8-10kgs, and they get 1/4 of a teaspoon in a teaspoon of warm water. Don't use a metal measuring spoon as it reacts with the powder and neutralises to effect to some extent. Mine lap it out of a shallow bowl. Will help with any intestinal problem (runs) the dog has. The dog equivalent is called Protexin, and it comes most frequently in little 2gm sachets. Marvellous stuff.

Thanks Garloch, I usually have some probiotics in the fridge, or yakult at the least, in case any one needs them so will definitely use them if the need arises.

Now anyone want an adolescent border collie that is driving me nuts???? lol

googling it once, a baby forum response indicated it had mineral oil ingredient; apparently not compelled to state this. One dose would do nothing worse than give the trots, yes. Presumably there may be truth in the statement as I notice a competing brand, can't remember the name, promoting itself as being free of that ingredient.

I'll be some time in using up the current supplies of Lucas' (on the humans mainly), mayn't even bother changing brands.

Well all seems to be fine today, not even any runs.

I had forgotten I had used it on cracked lips in the past so of course it mustn't be too bad. Amazing how we panic when we see they have consumed something odd!