Vaccinating Elderly Dogs

shekhina

Kovu is 11 years old now and hasn't been vaccinated for the last few years. I would like to take him back to obedience training classes and was told that while it was their policy for dogs to be fully vaccinated that if our vet gave us a letter saying he didn't feel another booster was needed that they would accept that. I assume I can get titre testing done, but how accurate are the results?

Now, I will speak with our vet about this of course to try and decide what is actually necessary, but I was wondering what others would do in this situation? Which vaccinations if any would you give at this age?

This subject came up yesterday with a friend. Her dog hadn't been vaccinated for a few years & she decided to have a titre test done. It came back low so she decided to have a booster vac given. I told her from my understanding even a low result is still protection. I had decided about 12 yrs ago not to have my BC April vaccinated after hearing from a (holistic vet saying that she thought at the time that vacs could last up to 7 yrs, back then it hadn't been proved) & 2 friends after their dogs of a similar age had died after having their yearly vac. We did the same thing with my son's dog when she was 9 y/o.

Now a days the 3 year core vaccinations has come in with a yearly KC vac. With my current dogs that's what I've been doing. It's up to you & your vet what's best for your dog.

From what the club were saying it was the KC they seemed most concerned about, not the other stuff... and mentioned that perhaps I could get just the KC done. Obviously I want to protect my dog (and other dogs) and I'm just not sure what is the best way to go about it. I will see what the vet things also, thank you :)

Edited by shekhina

Kovu is 11 years old now and hasn't been vaccinated for the last few years. I would like to take him back to obedience training classes and was told that while it was their policy for dogs to be fully vaccinated that if our vet gave us a letter saying he didn't feel another booster was needed that they would accept that. I assume I can get titre testing done, but how accurate are the results?

Now, I will speak with our vet about this of course to try and decide what is actually necessary, but I was wondering what others would do in this situation? Which vaccinations if any would you give at this age?

At 11? NOTHING, absolutely nothing.

Background: old boy of now 14 years had diagnosed via Dr Jean Dodds, vaccinois. On her advice, we used titres to determine his health.

He had one last January when he had a full blood panel done. Everything tested for fine. The Vet was impressed with his overall health.

Fast-forward to the breeder of my new puppy who is also a Vet. Her advice is exactly the same. Maintain good health in the dog, do titre testing where needed AND consider if ever told to allow the three yearly vaccines.

Close friends in the USA has 4 'elderly' dogs, all titre tested. ALL of them have just over their last winter gained their last Field titles.

Not on a sopabox but I truly think if your dog is in good health, YOU are happy with him & your Vet backs your choices, then avoid vaccination.

Good Luck

:D

found something else for you,skehina, relevant to Kennel Cough.

Homeopathic remedies exist that are effective.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/homeopathic-remedies-for-kennel-cough/

I would always suggest checking with your Vet.

But they do exist as options, and are successful.

Our bitch and the desexed boy were treated successfully prior to going into kennels.

Neither ever had Kennel Cough troubles.

As always, I add the comment, discuss with your your Vet.

:D

This thread is interesting. I have an elderly dog (12) who is due for his vaccinations. He is also due to go into a kennel in December so I rang the kennel, which is run by a vet, to see if they would accept him without his vaccinations and I was told they would not. When I said I had heard they could be dangerous in an elderly dog the nurse scoffed and said the vaccinations were perfectly safe. She also said they could not accept a dog into the kennel who was not at least vaccinated against kennel cough and that it was illegal for them to do so. So I guess my boy will have to have his vaccination.

This thread is interesting. I have an elderly dog (12) who is due for his vaccinations. He is also due to go into a kennel in December so I rang the kennel, which is run by a vet, to see if they would accept him without his vaccinations and I was told they would not. When I said I had heard they could be dangerous in an elderly dog the nurse scoffed and said the vaccinations were perfectly safe. She also said they could not accept a dog into the kennel who was not at least vaccinated against kennel cough and that it was illegal for them to do so. So I guess my boy will have to have his vaccination.

Are you able to get another kennel and an opinion from another Vet?

When was your dog vaccinated? My vet happily signs off vaccination cards every 3 years for my dogs and cats. The labelling on normal annual vaccines allows for this. I have KC and check ups done annually to satisfy my training clubs. And yes, state legislation specifies vaccination requirements for boarding establishments.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

He was vaccinated August last year. He seems to be in good health although he sometimes wheezes and coughs. He had a full dental and some teeth extracted a few months ago and he came through that okay. I will speak to my vet about it. The nurse at the kennel, which is small and only takes elderly or unwell dogs, did insist that he had to be vaccinated.

He was vaccinated August last year. He seems to be in good health although he sometimes wheezes and coughs. He had a full dental and some teeth extracted a few months ago and he came through that okay. I will speak to my vet about it. The nurse at the kennel, which is small and only takes elderly or unwell dogs, did insist that he had to be vaccinated.

At the most, he might need KC, at the most.

:)

Absolutely - but I would guess that the nurse did not specify WHEN the dog was vaccinated. Technically, if a vet signs off on a dog's vaccination status that's all you need. I would also imagine that your vet (if willing) will only sign off on the C3 vax and the dog will need KC vax for boarding.

Edited by The Spotted Devil