Coughing When Drinking

Thank you for all the suggestions and hope for improvement. Jeune's regime was tablets for four days and report to vet. Well on third day, couging was shocking and I was going to take her to the vet. However, I decided that there must have been a reason for four days, so persevered. Thursday was her last tablet and her coughing subsided quite markedly. Today, she gave a little cough on her first drink and that was the last of it.

So off to the vet this afternoon to report because now Danny is coughing and throwing up :(:( .

Jeune is on reduced dosage (prednisone) until Monday and Danny is on Doxycycline. Danny is also on Amilyllin for the rest of his life, so vet thought long and hard about what would be best for him.

So this is the daily schedule of medications. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Danny AM ½ tablet Amilyllin (lifetime) , ½ tablet Doxycyline (until Thursday 21)

Danny AM eyedrop both eyes (lifetime)

Bunter AM Linctus (until Monday 18)

Jeune AM ½ Prednisone (until Monday 18)

Tamar AM Propalin: Mon, Wed, Sat (lifetime)

Bunter AM ½ Prednisone tablet: Mon, Wed, Sat (lifetime)

Danny PM ½ tablet Amilyllin (lifetime) , ½ tablet Doxycyline (until Thursday 21)

Bunter PM Linctus (until Monday 18)

DD if you have some Manuka honey ( the strong stuff) on hand try giving her some- might help knock any kennel cough on the head and you can see if the texture helps reduce her coughing. Just a thought. smile.gif

Manuka Honey on the kitchen bench. What do I do now? Put a little bit in a bowl, dilute it, syringe it?

I haven't heard Jeune cough today at all and in the past couple of days, the bouts have been decreasing in incidence and severity to just a little huh huh when she drinks, and no throwing up. Actually she hasn't thrown up for days. Even so I was out shopping and thought I would get the Manuka Honey just to have it at the ready.

Big FAIL. :cry: Bunter liked it, but Bunter likes anything that is food.

Danny wouldn't touch it, Jeune walked away in disgust and took up her usual position on the couch and Tamar acted in her usual manner towards anything different: OMG that dreadful woman is trying to poison us again!

Yonjuro, of all the dogs I've owned over the years, there has been only one who would eat any amount, any time, any where and that is Bunter. All the rest just eat to stay alive. It is nothing for my dogs to miss a meal or two and sometimes three. Admittedly they are all toy breed mixes, but even so, it is frustrating. The vet can hardly believe it when they turn their heads away from offered liver treats.

yeah, my boy has just had his meal and now is whining like he is starving :cry: He is hanging out for a bone the cheeky bugger :D

But back to your problem DDD, is there anything yours loves that you could coat with a bit of the honey?? I am assuming the finger didn't work?

Edited by Yonjuro

Jeez, DD! total.opposite here! If ours don't want food we assume they're about to drop off the perch!

Grrr .... Jealous. Just about every trip to the vet contains the words, "but that's not unusual," when asked about whether they've eaten LOL.

yeah, my boy has just had his meal and now is whining like he is starving :cry: He is hanging out for a bone the cheeky bugger :D

But back to your problem DDD, is there anything yours loves that you could coat with a bit of the honey?? I am assuming the finger didn't work

Nope. Jeune looked at me as though I was insulting her and moved away LOL.

Maybe yoghurt or icecream. I'll try those tomorrow.

Yep DD - same as Yonjuro here - my lot go nuts for it and just lick it off the teaspoon. You could try dissolving it in tepid water - Mac loves honey water which I use to get him to drink if I'm suspicious he's forgotten. Hope that helps.smile.gif

That is my understanding, Yonjuro, but if I used tepid water as Westiemum suggests, that might work.

Definitely try and see if it works, they may get a taste for it - ya never know ya luck :D

Regardless of the fact that you may lose some of the active enzymes it will probably still have a soothing effect and the sweetness can be a pick-me-up. Good luck and I will look forward to hearing how you get on.

I mixed a small teaspoon in water for Danny - a bit tentative at first, but then he scoffed it down. Bunter (aka The Hoover) no problem - his disappeared in a couple of seconds flat. Tamar (who isn't coughing but why should she miss out :laugh: ) licked a little bit off my finger. I knew that Jeune wouldn't lick it, so I just wiped some across her mouth/front teeth. She just stood there licking it off, so I'll keep up this regime to see if there is any improvement. Now that Jeune's prednisone course has finished she is coughing quite badly again, so we really need to get to the bottom of it, poor baby.

We are going well, Yonjuro. All dosed up this morning LOL. God it is sticky stuff :(

Excellent news - I am so please for you! :thumbsup: and yeah it is bloody messy. I only have to pop the lid on mine and Ronin gives me the pleading eyes :D We use it now as a super high value treat when I can't get him to come in late at night when all else fails!