Pup Growls When I Correct Him - Should I Be Worried?

Paws22

I recently got a border collie pup; he is nine weeks old. He's a very friendly boy and I'm really happy with him. I've been doing basic obedience training with him (sit, down stay etc). We do short sessions three times a day. I have noticed lately though (particularly in the last week) that when I correct his behaviour by telling him "No" firmly, it tends to excite him and he thinks I'm playing. I then repeat "No" and if he doesn't stop the bad behaviour, I stand and walk away. The other day he was biting too hard, and I told him "no". When I said this, he showed his teeth at me and growled. I was quite upset when he did it as he seems to have a lovely nature and I bought him from a very reputable breeder. What should I do in future when he behaves this way? Is this a sign of aggression, or is he just playing?

What was his body language when he was growling ?

head

eyes

ears

tail

hair on his back

feet /legs

Do you just say "No" ?

are you using a collar & leash ?

Treats?

Toys ?

Who taught YOU how to train/correct your new boy ? :)

How old was this pup when you got him ?

He was looking at me in the eye, his ears were slightly back. His hair on his back was not raised. I said "no" firmly, and then when he growled I said "time out" firmly and walked away. I ignored him for about five minutes, then when I came back he seemed much more settled.

He was eight weeks old when I got him. I use treats and praise to encourage good behaviours. I correct bad behaviour by giving him a firm "no" or "uh uh!".

He is the first puppy I've ever had. I have read forums and a couple of books about training, but I'm very inexperienced and hate to think that I may be allowing him to develop bad behaviours.

You are not doing anything wrong. As long as he isn't barring his teeth, hackles raised ignore it & carry on as you are.

Growling & similar noises can just be puppy talk, expression, but if you are not used to a puppy you may be worried. Its what they do with litter mates so if its not accompanied with any other signs of aggression its a nothing thing.

He was looking at me in the eye, his ears were slightly back. His hair on his back was not raised. I said "no" firmly, and then when he growled I said "time out" firmly and walked away. I ignored him for about five minutes, then when I came back he seemed much more settled.

He was eight weeks old when I got him. I use treats and praise to encourage good behaviours. I correct bad behaviour by giving him a firm "no" or "uh uh!".

He is the first puppy I've ever had. I have read forums and a couple of books about training, but I'm very inexperienced and hate to think that I may be allowing him to develop bad behaviours.

Then you are on the right track.

Good for you for asking the questions!

He's a lucky boy to have such a caring Momma.

:flower:

Then you are on the right track.

Good for you for asking the questions!

He's a lucky boy to have such a caring Momma.

:flower:

Edited by Paws22

"no" doesn't mean anything to a pup. It's simply white noise.

Show him a preferred behaviour and reward it.

At that age, he could be play growling, it could be something else.

I suggest you enrol with a trainer and get some hands on help.

I agree that finding a good trainer would be a good idea. It does sound like you are going well so far but if the pup is actually showing aggression and it is not dealt with properly now you could run in to trouble as he gets older and bigger.

I fostered a puppy who as a baby could get quite growly and mouthy when she wasn't getting her way, she needed much firmer and more consistent consequences than my other dogs ever did to show her that her behaviour was not ok and I expected something else of her instead. Her brother had gone straight to a new home at 8 weeks and was returned some weeks later as he had shown the same kind of behaviours but the people didn't have the experience to address it and his behaviour had escalated and he was getting close to the point of causing injury to people.

It then took a lot more work with her brother to get him to where he needed to be, and even then he needed more ongoing management than my girl did as she had had the consistency right from the beginning whereas he had that period at a critical time of being mismanaged.

A good trainer will be able to help you figure out whether it is just puppy playfulness and fine to keep going as you are or whether you have a bit of a tough little nut on your hands and might need to take a different approach :)