Any Advice For A "newbie" Obedience Trialler?

squeak

I've mentioned it in other threads that I am thinking about trialling one or both of my dogs in obedience next year. I probably won't enter any trials until May/June next year as I feel that it will probably take me that long to get the dogs to a level that I am happy with. Having said that, I have no great expectations of my dogs... apart from that they are guaranteed to embarrass me at some stage!

I've never been involved in trialling, so I guess I don't really know what I am getting myself into :laugh: So, any and all advice is gratefully accepted. I've currently been studying the rule book and have attended a few trials to watch. I have also stewarded once at our club trial and hope to do the same later this year.

My advice is to refrain from entering until you have full confidence in yourself and your dog, then you will be amazed at just how badly trained the average punters trialling dog is.

Its good to have high expectations if you are going to make it worth doing.

A good recipe for success is to keep going to the trials, find the podium regulars and get mentored. The obedience world is an easy going and friendly one compared to other K9 competitions. Most will get an ego boost if you show interest in their recipe for success.

Try to find someone who is a regular winner of the higher classes.

Also, when you do enter........think about how you are going to show the judge just how well you work as a team, rather than thinking about "being judged". Being a confident handler will show in your dogs work.

Its good to have high expectations if you are going to make it worth doing.

I would like to say that I have high expectations, but I also don't want to be unrealistic about what I believe that my two dogs can achieve. It is something I want to do to gain some experience - I don't think that either of them really have the potential to be exceptional trial dogs, but guess I want to use them to learn and make my mistakes with.

Also, when you do enter........think about how you are going to show the judge just how well you work as a team, rather than thinking about "being judged". Being a confident handler will show in your dogs work.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by this - can you explain a bit more? I read a quote recently about trialling and nerves that was something along the lines of thinking that the judges and stewards are there to "serve" you instead of judge you???

Im a new trialist.

I have entered my dog in quite a few trials and failed each and every time. My dog was trained to pass and at training (on different grounds) would do what was required.

It was me that failed the dog each and every time as I was just so nervous. I have no idea why I was nervous!

So I dropped the level (from CD to CCD) and went to a trail not expecting a pass but expecting to behave in the ring like a human being rather than a nervous wreck. If I had another dog I would have taken it in as the trials were purely for me.

At a recent trial there was a nice steward and I was freaking out before I went in the ring and she told me to just enjoy myslef, that Im there becosue I love dog training and no matter what happens it will be all fun.

I failed that day but my dog worked a lot better and a lot closer to what she normally does at training.

Next trial to my surprise the steward from the trial before was my judge. I was at ease immiediatelly and she remembered me from the week before.

We passed and got a relatively good score.

So my advice would be - if you are nervous go to trials to get over the nerves. Get members of your club to put you through a mock trial (people you dont normally train with) get them to have a board and a pen and mark you as a judge would. Have a starting peg and have few people watching you being judged.

I would like to say that I have high expectations, but I also don't want to be unrealistic about what I believe that my two dogs can achieve. It is something I want to do to gain some experience - I don't think that either of them really have the potential to be exceptional trial dogs, but guess I want to use them to learn and make my mistakes with.

Your dogs don't need to be exceptionally talented to win trials. Many are won by average dogs that are just very reliable performers. I once had a class win because my dog was the only dog that dropped in a very muddy ring. Some days all of the top performers seem to have off days, and a suprisingly average dog wins.

Many "average dogs" can be trial winners in the right hands too.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by this - can you explain a bit more? I read a quote recently about trialling and nerves that was something along the lines of thinking that the judges and stewards are there to "serve" you instead of judge you???

I meant similar to that.

If your dogs have no physical or mental ailments, and posess some drive for something.....they are potential trial winners.

Just touching on what Monelite was talking about (mock trials etc) There are fantastic Tuesday night mock trials down here in Melbourne (Run by Friends Of Obedience or FOO)

They have real judges and stewards, and are great practice...just like a real trial. They start back mid October at K.C.C park. You just have to be a member of Dogs Victoria to enter, and booking is essential. $5 entry.

Not sure if there is anything like that available in N.S.W? Maybe contact Dogs N.S.W?

Edited by dogdude

My advice is keep your training fun and exciting all the time!

I see soo many people who trial, who take their dogs to classes and do 'paddock bashing' heel work (ie - great big long chunks of heeling like most obedience clubs do). It's plain to see that after a few minutes the dogs are bored brainless, they then enter these dogs in trials and expect them to work when all the handler's have taught the dogs is that obedience is boring.

I made this mistake with my first trial dog, hence why in the few years I (sparingly) trialled him his highest score was 145 and therefore NEVER even once got a pass. I don't train like that anymore and that's why this year my new girl completed 3 titles in 9 straight trials with a placing at 8 of those. I wouldn't have that sort of success if my dog didn't LOVE working for me! :thumbsup:

Just couple more tips:

Make sure your dog is well toileted before entering the ring

Dont leave the ring by stepping over the ropes on completion

Remember that you are being observed from the time that you walk through the entrance. Its fine to adjust your dog when you get to the start peg, but do not correct it in any way aversively.

Think about which side of the start peg that you will set up on. I always have the peg on my right, so I sepperate it from the dog. It eliminates the desire for the dog to want to smell it (other dogs that set up beside it rub against it)

When asked to go up to the other end of the ring to set up your dog for recall, dont run up there in an exited animated manner like in a training session. If you use your dogs name during the recall, make sure there is a distinct pause between the name and the command.

When asked which end you want to leave your dog for the recall, consider which direction the sun is in (will not be in his eyes), preferably returning with a tailwind, and preferably towards the ring entrance, or your car, depending on your dog

Edited by dogdude

I've been caught at with this at tracking training days (even though I believed my dog had been well toileted) and I NEVER want it to happen in the ring. I think I would die of embarrassment!

This had never occurred to me until the last trial I went to watch and saw a CCD competitor leave by ducking under the ring ropes. To say I was very surprised was an understatement.

Think about which side of the start peg that you will set up on. I always have the peg on my right, so I sepperate it from the dog. It eliminates the desire for the dog to want to smell it (other dogs that set up beside it rub against it)

I have been thinking about this one as it is apparent that many CCD competitors haven't given it a thought. Decision is that start peg will be on my right - one less thing for the dog to sniff at and having a male, minimises the chance he may wish to mark.... just in case previous dogs have.

When asked which end you want to leave your dog for the recall, consider which direction the sun is in (will not be in his eyes), preferably returning with a tailwind, and preferably towards the ring entrance, or your car, depending on your dog

Something to think about - are you always asked which end you wish to leave your dogs? I ask because it hasn't been apparent from the trials I have been to. If you are not asked and want to leave your dog at the opposite end to the one specified by the judge, can you ask this, or are you better just to "go with it"???

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Squeak, I started trialling in Easter this year and have gotten both my dog and bitchs CCD titles so I'm a real noobie! I have never had dogs before

I agree with DD on the start post, this may be because I started out with my dog and I was paranoid he would decide to pee on the post!

The trials I've been to they always ask which end I would like to leave them for the recall, I started leaving them at the post end but alternated for various reasons since then

I am always nervous as all hell, and I havent quite figured out my routine yet, but I normally leave the dogs in the car or crate until the dog before them goes in the ring, I dont want them hanging around feeding off all my nerves while we wait

I think you need confidence in your dog but I also know that leading up to every trial we have done (10 now) I have wondered what the hell I am doing entering a trial :thumbsup: 5 out of the 6 passes my two have gotten have been 1st place or 2nd place though so though I am a mess I guess the dogs have skill :D

So I say dont be nervous, but I know that it wont make a difference!!!

A timely thread. Benson and I make our trial debut next month at Knox.

I doubt he's ready (gawd, my club instructor nearly died of shock when I told her we'd entered a trial) but I figure if I don't do it soon I'll never do it!

I've been caught at with this at tracking training days (even though I believed my dog had been well toileted) and I NEVER want it to happen in the ring. I think I would die of embarrassment!

This had never occurred to me until the last trial I went to watch and saw a CCD competitor leave by ducking under the ring ropes. To say I was very surprised was an understatement.

I have been thinking about this one as it is apparent that many CCD competitors haven't given it a thought. Decision is that start peg will be on my right - one less thing for the dog to sniff at and having a male, minimises the chance he may wish to mark.... just in case previous dogs have.

Something to think about - are you always asked which end you wish to leave your dogs? I ask because it hasn't been apparent from the trials I have been to. If you are not asked and want to leave your dog at the opposite end to the one specified by the judge, can you ask this, or are you better just to "go with it"???

Thanks to everyone for their input.

You are always asked which end you would like to leave the dog for the recall. Always have this decision well and truely made before you enter the ring, and don't hesitate or change your mind. be smooth and cool when and where possible. You will find that like with everything, everyone their own opinion as to which end to leave your dog. Of course as previously mentioned, sun, wind and rain can come into it. However, always remember that your dog has been comfortable starting each excercise already up one end, even though the recall will be a little further out. I find leaving your dog at the start end is better for me. Less distraction than swapping ends and wasting your dog's energy and also less distraction than calling your dog to run to the end where there may be people standing around watching and talking. Personal opinion of course. I am hoping to get back into the ring after this Summer, early to mid next year. Good luck with your trials.

Another handy hint is to watch and memorise the heel pattern that the judge uses. Many judges will use the same one for all competitors.

You don't want to go in there thinking too much about what the pattern will be, but it can help some people if they know they have some idea of what the judge is likely to ask them to do, especially on very windy days or when you occasionally get a very noisy competitor in the ring beside you, and its hard to hear the judge.

I have winged it and taken a punt on a command that I failed to hear, and it payed off on one occasion.

Do you southerners get asked which end you want to do the recall from? I've never ever in all my years of trialling (at least 10 now) been asked this question, in QLD the judge usually puts out a marker (usually at the far end) and sends you up there.