Can Dol Help Yet Again

Loraine

Some time ago I posted about his odd behaviour - got to speak to a dog psychic and all is cleared up.

New problem:

This last couple of weeks, almost very other night, he wakes me between 1.30am and 2.10am. He is pawing at the window and looks panic stricken. I open the bedroom door (go to the loo myself as he has me out of bed), he charges for the kitchen and his dog door, goes outside and starts to dig at a metal area to try and escape the property. Before I put the metal sheet down (temp measure until the gate man returns) he dug under the gate, commandoed under the front gates :thumbsup: and swanned off down the park and through to BJ's house. When I try to get the sod to come back in he goes and hides in the bushes. I grabbed his collar last night and literally threw him into the kitchen.

I am getting worried that I will really hurt him. I take a coccktail of drugs at night and I am meant to sleep for 7 hours, when I am woken too early and then have to start chasing this little beggar, my heart rate goes through the roof, and it feels like my head will explode.

When we go to bed he actually goes to sleep on his side of the bed, whilst I read for an hour or so, then he gets off the bed and goes to sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed. I am stumped as to what is waking him during the night - I live in a very quiet area and no animal activity to bother him.

I am making an appt with the vet, but I really would like to avoice drugging the swine every night. I have tried RR to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas for me, please.

(((hugs)))

After having several nights broken sleep due to a sick dog I think I would be driven insane if it was for a reason I didn't know!

Can you crate him at night? That is what I would do but mine are crate trained already.

(((hugs)))

After having several nights broken sleep due to a sick dog I think I would be driven insane if it was for a reason I didn't know!

Can you crate him at night? That is what I would do but mine are crate trained already.

Thanks Mirawee,

I have had him for 5 years (he is now 7). I am guessing he was crate trained, being ex stud/showy. I've never had the need to do that here, but the thought did cross my mind last night (together with euthanasia). I ended up shutting him in the sleep out (tried the bathroom and he is scratching the paint off the door :thumbsup: ). I think to night I may stick him in the sleep out from the get go, and see how we go. There is nothing in there for him to damage.

It does seem as though something is unsettling/upsetting him. Maybe there is some extra wildlife in the area, birds calling out perhaps that you are missing out on and only waking with him rousing you. I agree that crating or containing in a safe room would be the best option. If you are putting him in the sleep out area does he have window access? He can't get through any doors or windows?

crate and behave paste. Start a routine, he stays in his crate until you say so and thats that, wear ear plugs so he cannot wake you. You're rewarding his behaviour in his eyes because you get up and let him out.

Maybe try some of the Stay Calm or Good as Gold (with some brewers yeast and Calcium Ascorbate) to chill him out a bit.

AND crate/put in sleep out.

eta ..slow typist here. :provoke:

Noisy what is Stay Calm and Good as Gold? I have tried Rescue Remedy and other herbal calming stuff.

jigsaw if I put him in the sleep out he cannot get out thank goodness.

yellowgirl he is still on Thyroxine (the Endep was stopped due to his psychic sorting his problem out. (We apparently did have a 'being' he could sense and that was shifted. I am now wondering if it was moved to later in the evening :love:

I do think I shall have to look for a second-hand crate (the pension doesn't go too far) and try that as it would be much better than him having a whole sleepout to wander around in.

Nekhbet what is behave paste?

Thank you all very much for your answers and help. I really do appreciate it. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine had a little dog that started being terrified at the same time every night after dinner, took a few weeks of trial and error to work out it was the computer. She had got a noise fear from a computer game that manifested itself quickly to whenever she sat at the computer at night, game or not. A change in routine had her sorted but maybe one of your neighbours or nearby park has an auto sprinkler that makes a noise they are often on early hours of the morning and at the same time, an electrical device or noise that your dog detects and isnt comfortable with?(alarm system etc)

A couple of nights away from your house may help- can you spend a night with a friend to see if it helps?

they do a good job like noisymina said. I found Good Manners made a difference in all 3 of my dogs within a few hours (I tried it as an experiment) It didnt knock them out just made them reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally chilled out and not reactive to little noises etc.

I just Googled and Good Manners is Tryptophan based too.

Good as Gold comes in small sachets about $8 or $9 dolars - it's a single dose for ahorse but many for a dog.

Good Manners may too...I don't know.

Produce stores often stok it. Mine was slack and were out of stock when I asked for it, so got it on line.

Sounds like either would be worth trying.

I just Googled and Good Manners is Tryptophan based too.

Good as Gold comes in small sachets about $8 or $9 dolars - it's a single dose for ahorse but many for a dog.

Good Manners may too...I don't know.

Produce stores often stok it. Mine was slack and were out of stock when I asked for it, so got it on line.

Sounds like either would be worth trying.

:laugh: Thank you all. I have just ordered some Good as Gold from Vet n Pet as there is none locally. Now to hunt for a crate.

crate and behave paste. Start a routine, he stays in his crate until you say so and thats that, wear ear plugs so he cannot wake you. You're rewarding his behaviour in his eyes because you get up and let him out.

I agree with Nekhbet's suggestion :laugh: