Agility Experience

If anyone knows of a club that has mid week agility in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne and who would assess a dogs experience and place them in the appropriate level OR ideally let someone with experience do 'almost' their own thing, could you please let me know.

Some of you may have read of our experience last week with an instructor at agility training. Well, we went again last night and this time Georgie wasn't allowed to do anything and i got picked on relentlessly the whole night (shoemonster can vouch for that) for what i was doing with Cosmo- even though she was working very well. I was both upset and frustrated because georgie arrived at training more excited than i've ever seen her- desperate for a toy, desperate for food, a pat- she really wanted to work- and she wasn't allowed to at all- not even the things she was happily completing last week.

There is part of me that doesn't want to go back at all but another part that knows that a) if i find another club, i may go through the same thing there b) it is the closest club to us and so convenient given that we are usually working/ have clients when training is on weekends etc c) if i don't find a club and pursue other interests (herding, scent work etc), i feel awful because Cosmo and now Georgie LOVE agility and it has improved our bonds, confidence and overall relationship in many ways. AND, although Cosmo can be easily redirected to other activities, it is definitely not that easy for Georgie.

It was frustrating to see her so excited last night and really wanting to work, and not being able to use that and have fun with her. What would you do?

I don't know why she wasn't allowed to do anything. Even one of the other people asked why we weren't doing anything with Georgie and tried to 'convince' us to do something with her. We didn't need convincing just permission from the instructor. I didn't want a conferentation so i didn't push as to why- if we go back next week and if it happens again i will ask and be more assertive- i am just a bit cautious as i don't really want to start an argument that ends with us being told to leave.

The instructor wasn't talking to us unless he was criticising me- telling me not to look at the dog and not to worry if she doesn't do something correctly, that everything she did was my fault, (which is probably true but you don't have to demoralise someone about it- i know i make mistakes) telling me off for the way i ran the course, when i was doing crosses etc. They use food rewards alot and i think they get annoyed when i use a tug and food at times. They have a large and somewhat slow breed and they get 'annoyed' at me for not being able to do the same things they do with their dogs because Cosmo is super fast- they have tried to run her and literally fell over her trying to get in front of her so its not that simple.

I try to think about how to make things easier for me so that i can handle her better. My OH (trainer as well) agrees with the way i ran some of last night but i got told it was wrong even though it worked very well. So i would finish the course, the Oh was ready to say that was great, instructor is shaking head saying no, no- all wrong. I try to take constructive criticism and learn from it (its not like i'm sensitive and can't except critique) but this was picking on things for the sake of it- and i wasn't the only one who thought so.

The only other thing i can think of is whether it is something to do with her breed not being a 'typical' agility breed? I just don't know- her obedience is excellent no dramas with her recalling off lead, no aggression etc. And you should have seen how happy she was to be there.. :)

Soooo this is not a newbie agility dog but a more experienced one?

Geeze if you're falling over trying to get in front of the dog, a rear cross sounds like a good option. :)

Sounds like there might be few issues going on but all I can suggest is that you approach the instructor before or after class and have a polite "discussion" about how you want to train your dog and ask what the issues are as he sees it.

Unless that instructor takes the class constantly, you probably won't see him again for the next session anyway.

I do believe that sometimes there are personality clashes between instructors and students. As you've said, what he seems to think is 'helpful criticism' you see as demoralising - I've seen that before too.

Are there no private trainers down there? Frankly, you may get more from one on one instruction than a class but it may be worth shopping around.

For what it's worth, at basic levels of teaching I am an utter control freak as an instructor. Your dog is not on equipment unless I am supervising and you do what I say.. but I offer options.

At more advanced levels I offer 'suggestions'.. but how you run your dog is up to you.

was it the same person you had truble with last week have they changed the class they have to be in to do agility

You culd try action dogs in doveton they are wednesday night id still look at some of theprivate trainers with equipment then you wil be able to have more say and get the dogs working well before going back

Cosmo is a much more experienced dog who, according to everyone who sees her, should have been trialling 6 months ago but i didn't feel i or we as a team were ready. And PF, this intstructor takes the class every week without fail- there is no variation in instructors whatsoever. And i totally understand being a 'control freak' as you put it at basic levels- i would have to say that i am as well when instructing- but i do give options. Its like unless georgie does it perfectly the first time, she shouldn't be doing agility at all and is not suitable.

WMR- yes, same person as last week. How does private agility training work? Do you have any idea of costs, locations etc?

Cosmo I can't say anything about the private training scene down your way but there are some trainers up this way that give private lessons. Standard pricing seems to be around $40 per hour. Smaller group lessons are also available.

If you are not a member of the Agility Australia email group on Yahoo, I'd highly recommend you join. Not a lot of Victorians on there these days I hear but still highly informative.

You could also do a thread asking.

Bummer about that person being a fixture at that level.. perhaps a new club would be a good idea.

The only two I have had experience with are Action dogs and Croydon.

I can't say whether or not they will suit you or not (let you pretty much do anything) as it depends on what instructor you have.

I guess the best you can do is go down, have a look and see if they will suit :)

Thanks LP, croydon is pretty far away from me though- which would be fine if i wasn't so pushed for time. More often than not i am heading to training straight from a late client and rushing to get there! I have been to action dogs before- quite a while ago and stopped because the time was so late.. Sigh- just don't know what to do. Private sounds great, if anyone can provide further details, it would be much appreciated

In Melbourne there is K9 Agility Club which trains at KCC park on Thursday nights as well as Action Dogs which has already been mentioned. The 3rd agility club is Agility Dog Club of Victoria but it is at Altona. Not sure about anyone doing private training.

I have been to action dogs before- quite a while ago and stopped because the time was so late..

Which level did you get to? I know they have staggered hours for the various levels to ensure as best as possible, sufficient room in the shed. Not sure what time what level is on anymore - I used to run their "pre-membership temperament/control assessments" but haven't done that for at least 12 months as Wednesday nights got too busy for me. So things might have changed since then.

... action dogs i think have fairly strict rules about the way things are taught at least they used to

Yes they are .... but they're getting some pretty good results. :rofl:

And there are instructors there who really know their stuff. :laugh:

totally agree but i think cosmolo wants soemwhere where she can do her own thing

True. The problem with "doing own thing" is also the possible ramification on the Club's insurance, in the event of an accident - to dog; owner/handler; instructor; and/or other members.

ETA: The other problem with "doing own thing". It might be well and good for Cosmolo to do it. But others will see this and argue they should be allowed too. If they're not allowed, then it becomes a matter of discrimination. If they are allowed, but aren't sufficiently knowledgeable or wise, things can get out of control.

Edited by Erny