Puppy Biting

Diva's_girl

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone can help me? our beautiful new staffy x pup likes to jump up and bite nose's or ears and it can be quite hard so was wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on how we can stop this?

Diva,firstly have a look at your Leadership inregard to this Pup.How old is the Pup?I will assume he is only a young Pup and therefore small.A Small Pup can of course only jump so high and I am again assuming that for him to reach Noses,you must be placing yourself down on his Level or have him sitting on your Lap.

If he is going for your Nose whilst stting on your Lap,immeditately put him down so he associates jumping for your Nose with the negative of being put down and losing your attention.If your kneeling down or getting down to his level and he is jumping try these approaches.As soon as he jumps,get up walk away and ignore him.Another way is to reward him for calm quite behaviour, by Growling at him when he jumps and when he sits back calmly reward him with a Treat.

I mentioned to check your Leadership, because many times we think we are showing clear Leadership but through the Dog"s eyes it may not be so clear.Note when you see a Dog dominating or trying to dominate another Dog,it will place its Head over or above the other Dogs Head.Some Dogs mistakenly assuming Leadership will try to do the same to us. Tony

aye the water spray works a treat,,,,out english mastiff is only just 8 weeks and she has a fondness of my wifes trouser legs and socks....a quick spray in the puppy eyeball, sorts it out. ( not really the eyeball :/ )

seriously my wife has only sprayed her twice and all she needs to do now is show her the spray gun.

ta

If my dogs as puppies got too silly they were put in time out. Needs persistance but it worked. The simple rule, if you cant play nice you dont play at all. It they jumped or started biting (which does hurt I know) and were told NO, but continued I would pick them up without saying anything, and put them in a spare room for a few minutes and ignore them.

They did calm down when let out. I only did this as when grooming my dogs I need to spray them with different sprays and I did not want them scared of the water bottle, but the water bottle also does work.

Also, try not to crouch over your pup and put your face near them until they have learnt. You are asking for a headbutt, a nip and a big sloppy kiss.

Edited by BC Lover

Thanks for the suggestions guys, my sister boxagirl told me this avo to stand up straight away and say "ah ah" and it already seems to have results.

Great :) . Your dog is getting a negative- you're moving away from him by standing up- and "ah ah" is a clear verbal signal.

Just be consistent and he'll be trained not to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

My girl bites too.

Its painful.

I thought about using the spray bottle, but I wonder if it will make her scared of the water, the spray bottle itself, or both?

edit: Spray bottle sucked. She got more excited. Oh well. At least she isnt afraid of water, lol.

Edited by Pandora