Puppy Vs Collar

disorder

Hi,

My pups 15 weeks old and Im having issues with collars.

At the moment he doesn't wear one around the house because whenever I put it on him he scratches and scratches at it.

Not at the annoyance of it I don't think, it seems to irritate his skin and the scratching leaves the underside of his neck red and sore looking.

I have been using a puppy collar when we take him out walking etc which is only about 1cm thick and really light weight, but he has pretty much grown out of that now so I bought him a spiffy new collar off ebay which is a little thicker and leather which I really wanted him getting used to wearing ALL the time but I don't want him doing any damage to himself with the scratching.

I have tried a few diffrent collars made of diffrent materials and diffrent sizes etc but they all seem to have the same effect.

Do I have an extra sensitive puppy?

Or am I just being too over protective by taking it off him too soon after I put it on and when the scratching begins?

Not sure what to suggest about the redness.

But when I got Kaos and put a collar on him, he started trying to attack it :rofl: Seriously, he got quite agitated! I should have seen it was a sign of things to come :thumbsup: I would put it on for a bit, and then take it off. Eventually he got used to it, and now wears a collar all the time no problems, including with training collars and recently a bandana.

So for getting used to it I would say time is the answer.

Not sure what to suggest about the redness.

But when I got Kaos and put a collar on him, he started trying to attack it :rofl: Seriously, he got quite agitated! I should have seen it was a sign of things to come :thumbsup: I would put it on for a bit, and then take it off. Eventually he got used to it, and now wears a collar all the time no problems, including with training collars and recently a bandana.

So for getting used to it I would say time is the answer.

I totally agree. My my pup was skratching like craze at the beginning but after a couple of weeks she got used to it. Yes it takes time....

However I did start her with a leather collar that she was skratching all the time and then I switched to a Lupine one, it made a huge difference as well.

Had the same problem with Scout and a leather collar - he'd scratch and have a ring of red around his neck [underneath became weapy...betadine cleared it up], but I changed to a ezydog collar with a neoprene [wet suit material] sleeve and he hasn't had any trouble since.

is it the leather or just frustrated and he doesn't like it???

I would try a web or cloth collar for a few days, if he scratches at that it icould just be that he doesn't like it.

the dye they use on leather is harsh and could be causing the allergy!

I like the Lupine collars, too. If your dog chews it they'll replace it :love: . Nylon.

Anything a bit wider, soft and lightweight would be worth trying instead of the leather. Persist. Perhaps keep the leather one for outings/ fancy dress once pup's used to the other one :) .

I have a leather collar for one of the dogs, but don't use it as an everyday collar.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I think the leather collars can sometimes cause the skin under the collar to get very hot and sweaty, and this is where the irritation begins. Have you thought of using a choker chain? Its the one that forms a loop and is made out of chain. These let the fur underneath breathe. Not sure how politically correct they are anymore though, but I use one.

I slip a choker chain on at the start, with strict supervision as it is something that i will be using for showing and/or trialing.

I dont tend to leave collars on my dogs. they are always getting up to some sort of mischief and i guess i worry they'll get it caught on something.

Maybe you could try what i did with one from my last litter?

I put a collar on Jet, then called him, when he came i gave him a treat. i did this ALOT and in the end, he wouldn't stop to scratch at the collar because he learnt that a collar meant treats. the collar was left on for a maximum of about 3 minutes at a time. he'd scratch at it, but as soon as he stopped, i'd praise him and then take the collar off. after a while, the collar could be left on longer with him not reacting. i believe that he now wears his collar most of the time. (he's in his new home and came back for training).

I think the leather collars can sometimes cause the skin under the collar to get very hot and sweaty, and this is where the irritation begins. Have you thought of using a choker chain? Its the one that forms a loop and is made out of chain. These let the fur underneath breathe. Not sure how politically correct they are anymore though, but I use one.

Check/Choker chains should never be left on a dog especially unsupervised - way too dangerous - the dog could catch itself on something and hang itself. I think they are ok as a walking/training 'collar' as long as they are used correctly, but NEVER as a collar substitute.

As for the collar problem disorder, I would persevere :) Was your pup ok with the lightweight puppy collar - can you get a similar collar in a bigger size? It COULD just be the feel of the collar (your pup is more aware of it) or the actual material (leather is quite tough and hard initially - maybe soften it up??, nylon can be a bit scratchy??) Maybe you could try (if you haven't already) one of the 'wetsuit' type collars that are a bit softer or a softer cotton or canvas one (do they make canvas collars :love::) ).

Hope you find a collar that is suitable soon!

kendall