Hate Hate Hates The Crate!

tryamartimmy

Hi,

I've had puppy for four days now and have been using a crate for her to sleep in. For the first three days, she's slept in the crate in my room. The first night, she cried and howled and sounded like she was going to have a panic attack. It took upwards of half an hour for her to settle down and sleep. She was up again not very long after and howling like she was going to die.

On the second night, I put her to bed half an hour before I went and she cried for about 5 minutes and then slept. She was back up again at 2am (I woke her up so she could go to the toilet). We went to the toilet where she did poos and wees, no patting or funny business. Back to bed- she cried for about 10 minutes solid, then slept till morning when I let her out at 6.

On the third night, she again went to bed before us, but took longer to settle down. She was up again at 2 for toilets, but then refused to go to sleep. She howled and howled!!! I had to eventually give in and take her out to sleep with me to get a break. I wouldn't have in any other circumstance, but I have a housemate who I also have to be considerate of and while she's tolerant, there's only so much sleep one can miss, right?

Last night, I tried a different tact. I left her in her play pen in the living room. Her toilet papers are there and she's got a comfy bed and toys. She howled for 10 minutes after we went to bed, but settled ok. She was up again at 4am screaming her lungs out, so once again, for the sake of peace in the house, I gave in after fifteen minutes and took her to bed with me again.

She's a chihuahua, so I know that she craves companionship, but I can't help but think she's playing it up a little.

I want her to get into a routine, but I need to know some tricks to make the process smoother.

Whenever she goes into the crate, she had some toys and I give her something to chew on (like a pig snout or roolami) to keep her placated, but it doesn't seem to work for long.

What can I do?!

(Sorry about the long post, I'm just a little frustrated!)

Try feeding her in the crate and when she has finished her food leave her in the crate for a short time and gradually extend the time. Stop taking her out and allowing her to get her own way now or you will never be in control

All pups would rather sleep with you, regardless of breed. Sometimes the bigger, the sookier. Don't fall into the "she's small, so it's OK" trap, or you will have a bossy little dog.

It's difficult when you have a housemate. Can you buy yourself and him/ her some earplugs? Seriously :thumbsup: . Let them know there may be a few bad nights, but you're on to it and it'll be much better in the long run.

You said it yourself- she's playing it up a little. Maybe a lot :D .

She gets a great reward for doing it- sleeping with you- so you're effectively training her to wail like a banshee :D .

Sleeping with you is not a great idea for a pup as it sends all the wrong leadership signals.

Try putting a blanket over the crate to settle.

Good job with the no fuss overnight toileting.

Leave her wherever you intend to have her sleep long-term.

Make the crate a happy place- feed her there, treats in there etc. (sound like you're doing this already), never in there to punish.

She may now try to test you with behaving worse than b4, as she's had a few payoffs for doing it.

Be consistent and firm, saying something like, "Time for bed" when it's that time. Ignore the "I'm dying" performance. She should settle into your routine in only a few nights.

Good luck :thumbsup: .

I have a 12 week old Ausse Shepherd puppy who sleeps in a crate in the living room. I started out by giving him chew toys or treats in there, giving him his dinner in there and just putting him in it for 10-15 minutes at a time with the door shut. He howled for a few nights but eventually he settled down and now he can go right through the night without sooking.

I agree with poodle wrangler, she is trying to push the boundaries to see how far she can get... both times you gave in she got what she wanted, so do this again and it will make it more and more difficult to revert back to the crate. Buy your housemate some earplugs and be firm and in control. Eventually, she will understand that no amount of crying will get her what she wants and she will settle and entertain herself or go to sleep.

hang in there, it sounds like you are doing a great job!!

There is some really good tips on crate training on the thread "I cant survive on no sleep and latte's"

Im a non-crater my self and have lucy sleep in her bed in my room she did try and get in bed with me for the first few nights but she was too small now she does not even try

cant help with getting a puppy to like a crate though lucy hated it I hated it my young child hated it

what we did works for us

but alot of people on this sight really like crate's so you should get some good advice

Good luck

Edited by Falling_dawn

Thanks guys. There are some fantastic suggestions in here.

I'm thinking seriously about moving the crate into her playpen in the living room and putting the plush bed she has inside of it. I've noticed that when we put her in her pen (mainly while she's eating or we're eating or can't watch her constantly with the cats) she sooks a bit, but if we keep doing what we're doing and ignore her, she usually settles down in her bed.

It's only with our complete absense that she seems to panic and howl like a banshee.

As to the housemate- we have to be up quite early for work and she doesn't want to miss her alarm clock going off- which is why the ear plugs aren't an option. I've offered her my ipod for bedtimes- but this isn't the part we're worried about. Its Tahni's early morning antics that tick us off because we'd much rather be sleeping than listening to music.

PS- Must remember to get a battery for my snuggle puppy toy's heart. It ran down in transit...

put the crate where you want pup to sleep in the long run - its much better to train them to be further away (like in the lounge/kitchen) and if you want they can comein the bedroom when older...

make sure you have a toilet routine set up, baby pups can only hold for about 4 hours so i would suggest you actually set your alarm for toilet break in the night - get pup out of the habit of crying all the time.

When i first had my pups i was going to bed at 10 up gain at 2 and up at 6 regular as clockwork. Slowly move the 2am stop further and eventually you have happy well trained pup that will go thru the night without any worries.

Cover the crate, close doors, i used to leave the TV on a screensaver with very low noise - kept mine entertained/quiet. its often the quiet they dont like.

perservere - the crying will stop - but it may take a week.... dont give in AT ALL :thumbsup:

I found it took Leah quite a few nights to settle and go to sleep without sooking. I ignored it, but gosh it's hard. What makes it a little harder is I also have Bob who isn't crated. Thanks to PW's suggestion on another thread I started covering the crate with a blanket and it worked a treat. :D

Does she have something warm to snuggle up to in the bed, my pups have always loved the snuggle puppy with the heat bag but I have found that once the heat bag cools down they wake up cold. I now use a hot water bottle only half filled with the air squeezed out inside a padded fluffy cover - the heat seems to last longer.

Does she have something warm to snuggle up to in the bed, my pups have always loved the snuggle puppy with the heat bag but I have found that once the heat bag cools down they wake up cold. I now use a hot water bottle only half filled with the air squeezed out inside a padded fluffy cover - the heat seems to last longer.

One of yours sucks a toy, the other head butts the crate till it tips over :eek:

Ever so cute to watch :laugh:

Good morning... *Yawn*

Update:

Sat down with my housemate last night and discussed where we want puppy to sleep when she's all grown up. Like you said, it's better if she is independant when she's sleeping, so we're leaving her to sleep in the living room.

I got batteries for the snuggle puppy yesterday afternoon so she can sleep with it, and spent the rest of the night wearing an old shirt to get my smell on it. I'll pop this in the crate with her blankie and snuggle puppy tonight to see if it helps.

I've also decided on a steadfast routine:

1) Gaetana goes to bed when we say- 8:30pm the playpen is closed for business, even if we're up still watching tele. If she howls, we'll ignore her. As soon as she's quiet (given she's not asleep), we'll praise her, but she won't be able to come out.

2) When we go to bed, it's lights out, snuggle puppy on and a radio (set up next to the crate) set down low.

3) Ear plugs go in for me (and housemate- I've talked her into it after a few sleepless nights) and NO GIVING IN.

*** We started this last night. She sooked a bit when she was put to bed because we were up watching tele, but when she realised we weren't paying any attention, she quietened down and went to lay in her bed like a good girl.

When we turned out the lights and went to bed, the howling ensued, but it was so much quieter with the plugs!

Gaetana woke up several times throught the night and did her pity routine, but we ignored her and when we got up this morning, she was laying asleep in her bed like a little angel.

Will do this for the rest of the week and then give you an update as to our progress.

Thanks for all your help!!!

One of yours sucks a toy, the other head butts the crate till it tips over :eek:

Ever so cute to watch :laugh:

Are you saying mine are a little strange :rofl:

Ah but at least they don't dig to China :cry:

One of yours sucks a toy, the other head butts the crate till it tips over :cry:

Ever so cute to watch :eek:

Are you saying mine are a little strange :cooldance:

Ah but at least they don't dig to China :rofl:

Repeadily :) she only does it at shows thou :laugh:

Glad you had a good night.

Keep it up. If you have only had her a few days, she was used to her litter mates or mum being there so she has to adjust.

Keep up the good work. I had a screamer for a week.

My pup Hunta, still has a whinge even though she has been crated at night her whole life!m No if she carried on i squirt her with some water. I do not advise this though when your pup is still learning.

perhaps before you make her stay all night in it, you should be getting her more used to it during the day when her whining is not going to be a problem. Just make the crate the most exciting place where all of the god stuff happens. Only feed her in the crate, give her treats, even pet her and play with her in there.

When she enters her crate on her own accord then praise her like there is no tomorrow and give her a treat in there.

perhaps before you make her stay all night in it, you should be getting her more used to it during the day when her whining is not going to be a problem. Just make the crate the most exciting place where all of the god stuff happens. Only feed her in the crate, give her treats, even pet her and play with her in there.

When she enters her crate on her own accord then praise her like there is no tomorrow and give her a treat in there.

I totally agree with Rachelle about the treats we used to randomly drop treats in the crate while our pup was not looking so they just appeared and also used to leave the crate open so they could come and go during the day adn again randomly ddropped treats in so every now and again when they went back to the crate surprise surprise theres a tasty treat. What a woderful place that would be warm, comfy and every now and again hey presto a treat appeaars out of thin air!

Okay seriously I must be the only weirdo out here but I did nothing convensionally when it can to sleeping habits/crate training but I can tell you now it worked for the two (or I should say the three) of us Bella Cat as well!

Read my little bit on this thread as well as of course all the others maybe you can do something a little differently with the crate or not!?!?!

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=100644

All the very best to you!!! :thumbsup:

this pup has you trained already,

just letting her into your bed once tells her she can do it all the time.

with young dogs if you give in once you have lost the battle, and soon to lose the war.

good luck it has to be tough love of she will win every time.

never respond till YOU are ready.

Janet