Eagle Pack Dog Food And Barf

we have just got back from yet anothe vet visit with daisy. She has really bad ear infection again and bad flackey skin and it is all leaning towards a food allergy,. The vet mentioned about putting her on hills z/d but at $95 for 8.1kg bag that wont even last her week that is just way to much the only other option he gave was to possible feed her BARF but its getting it right.

I spoke to the lady week got our rescue dog from hear in Perth and she has the same problems with her dog and reccomended eagle pack so i would like some views on this food and also BARF how easy is it too do both dogs are only about 9 to 10 months if 1 went BARF than the other would 2 they are both big dogs as well so any info i would be greatfull.

karen

we have just got back from yet anothe vet visit with daisy. She has really bad ear infection again and bad flackey skin and it is all leaning towards a food allergy,. The vet mentioned about putting her on hills z/d but at $95 for 8.1kg bag that wont even last her week that is just way to much the only other option he gave was to possible feed her BARF but its getting it right.

I spoke to the lady week got our rescue dog from hear in Perth and she has the same problems with her dog and reccomended eagle pack so i would like some views on this food and also BARF how easy is it too do both dogs are only about 9 to 10 months if 1 went BARF than the other would 2 they are both big dogs as well so any info i would be greatfull.

karen

BARF is not super hard to make if you make it in large batches and freze it but it can be expensive ( we use organic flax seed oil , human grade chicken breast mince , ect..) and getting the right balance for your first recipe can be hard there are some people that really know ther stuff on this sight so they should be able to help you , I use EP holistic Chicken and Rice as a back up it workes well Lucy had ichy skin on the other brands this one seems ok so far

One of our girls needed to go onto a fish based dry (+ her regular raw chicken mince, vegies etc.) so we got the Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy and she's been doing REALLY well on it :D

Our other guys are on the Nutro Lamb and Rice and do beautifully on that but Rogue can't have it.

I switched my dog from Advance onto the Eagle Pack holisitic chicken about 3 weeks ago and already I'm noticing a difference in her beautifuly silky shiny coat. Having no problems at all with EP.

EP Holistic has some single protein formulas, such as the Anchovy, which will help -

What are you feeding her now? Do you know what she is allergic to?

Hills is not really a great choice anyway, lots of fillers and grains...

Gomez is also doing very well on his EPH, he just started a bag of the duck after polishing off a bag of the anchovy.

BARF would allow you to monitor any food allergies, by doing an elimination diet and then after a couple of months adding in other foods, commercial food has so many ingredients in it that it's really hard to figure out what is causing the problem. Z/d is designed so that the body doesn't recognise the proteins in it.

The problem with food allergies is that the dog can be allergic to any ingredient, not only the meat sources. Grains also have protein and often dogs are allergic to them.

Bob gets ear problems if he has maize/corn. He does have quite a few food intolerances, so is on a very simple limited ingredient diet. The first ear infection he had was after the vet fed him Hills I/D for a tummy upset. I didn't think much of it until OH gave him two cornflakes and within 12 hours he had another ear infection. I check any dog biscuits I buy and avoid any with corn/cornmeal in them.

EP will cost you as much if not more than Hills S/D

Both your dogs could easily go onto a BARF type diet without any problem. It is a lot of work initally but once you become more familar you will become more confidient wiht it and realize it does not have to beperfect all the time. The mantra with a raw diet is balance over time.

BARF is very good but oh so time consuming to prepare. I'd give the Eagle Pack a try first and if there is still no change, then look at BARF.

Eagle Pack does not contain any grain products, especially the fish formula which is made especially for dogs with allergies.

EP Holistic does have grain. Grain on its own is not necessarily a "bad guy" - but for a number of allergenic dogs, it can be a factor. We've used EP Holistic Anchovy, Sardine, Salmon with good results - three protein sources but for many dogs, it is a godsend. http://www.eaglepack.com.au/flash/

Nutro Lamb and Rice has worked wonders for a number of dogs we've seen, as long as neither Lamb or Rice is indicated in allergy issues of course. Nutrience has a Holistic Duck which has been a good product in many instances, EP also has a Holistic Duck. Ziwipeak has no grains at all. In several novel protein formulas (venison, green lipped mussel etc), it is unique. It is also expensive. BARF can be bought in patties that are frozen - in a number of varieties that do not include any grain.

Feel free to pm me if you want a list of WA stockists of any of these products.

:D

edited to add link

Edited by Sagittarian

thank you for all the replies,at the moment she is on optimum puppy and we are susspecting wheat for her allergy.

I dont mind paying more for the eagle pack 15 or 18 kg bag which ever they do as this size bag lasts both dogs about 6 weeks but i do mind paying $95 8.1kg bag as this will be gone really quickly and i cant afford to pay this at least once if not twice a month and get food for clyde aswell the reason why i was also looking into barf and eagle pack

Edited by karen135

eagle pack 15kg will last your pup a loooong time, definitely more than 1 month. They are very concentrated food, you will feed less than Optimum I'm sure. You can check out the recommended amount to feed on the bag, it's only a small amount.

As a dry food, I've heard a lot of reports about its good effects. I expect I will be including it as a part of my dog's diet when my next dog comes along.

I agree with Kelpie-i. BARF is good, but I know I spent more time in the kitchen 'preparing' for my girl's meals than I ever did for my own!!! :laugh:

I feed both my girls BARF they are 10mths and 8mths and do really well on it. It comes in a pack of twelve which easily slides into my freezer. BARF very easy to prepare I just put what I need in a container then pop it in the fridge the night before, by dinner time just grab it out of the fridge and serve! They also get dry food in the mornings, my mums Golden Retriever pup (5mths) gets Eagle Pack and mince and he looks great, a 7kg bag lasts about a month.

Edited by Sonovagun

Mine r on eaglepack fish formula as one had the itches. I found that it really helped. I will rpbably try thr lamb on soon as it is a bit cheapper (only just). I now also give them barf patties too for variation.

I feed both my girls BARF ... It comes in a pack of twelve which easily slides into my freezer.

Sorry, Sonovagun. The BARF I was speaking of and I believe that Kelpie-i spoke of, is the "do it yourself" variety - home made. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

Humphrey has been on BARF all his life...it can be very easy and inexpensive once you get the hang of it.

I usually do huge batches of raw fruit and veg mix, just all blended up in a food processor (makes life sooooo easy) freeze that in small plastic bags. Then I do some veg mix with cooked rice and gravy (once again freeze that). Then theres fresh mince. We now buy 10kgs bags. Once again, put in smaller containers and freeze.

Then its a matter of pick and mix.

heres some combos that worked

*veg meat and grains

*veg, egg, meat

*meat egg sardines.

Only additives we add is apple cider vinegar. Everything else is in your kitchen pantry :thumbsup:

Ways to save money on BARF

*buy in bulk, make everything in bulk :laugh:

*chinese produce stores sell big packs of take away container, around my area we can get approx 50 containers for $7!!! Makes storage easier.

*find a good butcher or pet produce supplier, supermarket meat will end up costing a fortune

*use seasonal fruit and veg. ALso use the ones in your fridge that are looking a bit sorry for themselves, as long as no mould or spoilage you can use.

The advantage of BARF over Eagle pack and other dry food is you know exactly what is going into your dogs food, you can eliminate stuff easier.

These days it takes about 2 hours a month for me to prepare everything

I feed both my girls BARF ... It comes in a pack of twelve which easily slides into my freezer.

Sorry, Sonovagun. The BARF I was speaking of and I believe that Kelpie-i spoke of, is the "do it yourself" variety - home made. :laugh:

oh lol well im a terrible cook so i pretty much have no choice but to buy pre-made patties otherwise the poor dears would starve :thumbsup:

EP will cost you as much if not more than Hills S/D

Both your dogs could easily go onto a BARF type diet without any problem. It is a lot of work initally but once you become more familar you will become more confidient wiht it and realize it does not have to beperfect all the time. The mantra with a raw diet is balance over time.

Have tio disagree.

15kg for $110 that will last about 6-8 weeks.

I don;t think that is too much

The kibble i have and i haev EPH at home at the moment is about as big as a 1c peice used to be.

My jrt has no probs eating it.