Bad Behaviour

We recently rescued a 7 month old Terrier x from the dogcatcher - someone gave her to the dogcatcher who no longer wanted her. He was on the way to the pound and asked my husband if he wanted her for free! Anyway to cut a long story short, she has some behavioural problems. I have booked her in to start obedience in the next couple of weeks but thought I would ask here for some advice in the meantime.

1. If she escapes (she's as quick as lightning) there is no way I can catch her. She has got out the front door twice and a neighbour caught her. On Sunday she managed to slip out of a harness (she can also slip her collar very easily) and took off up the street. I called and chased and it took 15 minutes until my husband came with the car to catch her. It's as if she doesn't know who I am and completely ignores me. She is totally focussed on getting away from me. I've tried food and that hasn't worked. She won't acknowledge my other 2 dogs and they can't lure her to come back either.
  2. She is very aggressive towards other dogs. She's fine with my other 2 dogs and plays with them happily, but if she gets near any others she lunges, snaps and growls. I'm guessing that this is probably a fear thing. Hopefully we'll be able to sort it out at school and I have spoken to them about it and they are happy for her to attend.

As we don't know what her background is, I don't want to do the wrong thing. I would be grateful for your ideas.

I would be wary of taking her to just any club/trainer, the wrong advise or putting her into a situation that she isnt ready for can end up making her alot worse.

I would ask around your area for a behaviourist and get her assessed properly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a behaviourist in Canberra. A couple of people I know have used Dogtech but it looks to me as if they use the same methods on all dogs - i.e. not letting the dog on the bed, couch, restricting walks, not giving pats, etc

Steve at K9 Force

He might not be as local as you might like, but a consultation for private tuition from him would stand you in good stead and would be worth the drive.

Dogtech is a franchise. How good they are (or aren't) will depend on who the person is at that particular franchise. IMO, the franchise name is only as good as the trainer/behaviourist behind it. If you use the DOL search engine (check in both "general" forum and "training" forum) you'll find many opinions. Generally speaking, Dogtech and similar franchises do seem to have a "one-size-fits-all" approach.

Edited by Erny

I doubt that an ordinary obedience club would be suitable for a dog like this, I think you would need some one-on-one training, at least to start with.

I would also recommend K9 Force, he's brilliant and would be well worth the drive. Personally I wouldn't use any of the franchises.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a behaviourist in Canberra. A couple of people I know have used Dogtech but it looks to me as if they use the same methods on all dogs - i.e. not letting the dog on the bed, couch, restricting walks, not giving pats, etc

No. :happydance: If a dog has aggression issues, I recommend people see K9Force in Sydney.

Edited by poodlefan

Dogtech in Canberra offers a lot of free help to ACT Rescue and Foster, and quite a few foster carers with problem fosters have found that their advice has been very helpful.

My advice would also be to go see K9. I would also be going slowly, slowly, slowly with a poor pup that has had this kind of start. There could potentially be a whole grab-bag of issues in there just waiting to pop out and be solved, which is why a behaviourist will be better than just joining an ob club at first. I've had clients who have had really bad advice from well-meaning ob instructors (of which I am also one so I'm not dissing them!!!) simply because the instructors are trying to deal with lots of people and dogs at once sometimes. A one on one with a really good professional will save you a lot of work later on and give you lots of confidence. Good on you for taking on the pup! :happydance:

My dog has tried to run out the front door a few times, and yesterday she actually made it down the street. Since then I've been teaching her to sit and stay before I open the door. The only reason I'm managing this, is that I'm taking her to obedience training. Heaps of dogs there lunge and try to have a bite of another dog, but they are all on choker chains and the owners are learning to control them. My dog school is indoors, in a basketball stadium, so you don't have to worry as much about a dog running away if it got off the lead, and it sure helps you to not freeze in the winter. I'd recommend calling your local obedience club, and see what the person who runs the club has to say. Chances are they have seen plenty of dogs like yours.

If anyone has Foxtel, I highly recommend "The Dog Whisperer" on the bio chanel. He is amazing with aggressive dogs, and dogs in general. In fact I think I've learned more from him than the obedience classes.