Another Vaccination Question

Pumpkin, at 12 weeks, had a C4 plus a nasal "injection" for kennel cough. I run a boarding kennel, and belong to an association whose code of ethics requires kennel cough vaccinations.. . . hence deleting the bordatella was not an option.

Shortly after the injection Pumpkin developed a cough very much like kennel cough. Another pup was injected at the same time and is not coughing. The cough has persisted for about 10 days and is borderline serious (lots of coughing, horrid sounding chest, sleeping a lot), though she is not feverish and still bright (when she's not crashed).

Question: I know there's been a lot of discussion of adverse effects of C5, but what I've read doesn't seem to include Pumpkin's symptoms. Have others had problems with pups apparently getting kennel cough from the nasal vaccination? (It's possible that the cough has nothing to do with the vaccination).

Question 2: My vet says baby pups can't have Vibravet and has Pumpkin on Clavulox (sp?). Using Benedryl for relief of coughing. Can anyone suggest better meds for a baby puppy with a bad cough.

Pumpkin, at 12 weeks, had a C4 plus a nasal "injection" for kennel cough. I run a boarding kennel, and belong to an association whose code of ethics requires kennel cough vaccinations.. . . hence deleting the bordatella was not an option.

Shortly after the injection Pumpkin developed a cough very much like kennel cough. Another pup was injected at the same time and is not coughing. The cough has persisted for about 10 days and is borderline serious (lots of coughing, horrid sounding chest, sleeping a lot), though she is not feverish and still bright (when she's not crashed).

Question: I know there's been a lot of discussion of adverse effects of C5, but what I've read doesn't seem to include Pumpkin's symptoms. Have others had problems with pups apparently getting kennel cough from the nasal vaccination? (It's possible that the cough has nothing to do with the vaccination).

Question 2: My vet says baby pups can't have Vibravet and has Pumpkin on Clavulox (sp?). Using Benedryl for relief of coughing. Can anyone suggest better meds for a baby puppy with a bad cough.

my stafford boy had the same as pumpkin when having the nasal spray, his only lasted for 2 - 3 days. he had benadry for cough and was fine no other problems after that... he did get another quiet bad case of KC at aorund 6 months old, where he was on antibiotics for chest infection as well.. having gone through that i dont know weather id trust the nasal spray again??? or it could of been coincidence ?

EFS

Edited by ReXy

My pups all did the same after nasal spray at 13 weeks (approx 6 years ago). They were VERY sick however!!!!!! Greenish thick discharge coming out their noses, all extremely lethargic, hacking coughs etc........I thought they would die, Ive never had a dog so sick in my life, let alone the whole lot of them like this..........The Vet complained to the drug company, who were supposedly going to contact me about it, but they never did.........

I wont touch the stuff ever again.

No problems with the nasal part of the C5 here.

Is it possible your dog had kennel cough (symptoms not yet apparent) b4 the vaccinations?

As a teen, I was vaccinated with rubella not knowing I already had it and was sick for a few days as a result.

Clavulox is the brand name of amoxycillin which is an antibiotic. Antibiotics would only be effective if your dog has a bacterial infection. Kennel cough is a virus, but you can get a bacterial infection in addition to it. Amoxycillin is not one of the stronger antibiotics, but often used as one of the first choices. If your dog's doing no better on it, the vet may prescribe something stronger. A stronger one is not prescribed first, otherwise the bacteria would quickly develop resistance, making the drug useless.

In humans, at least, cough medicines like Benadryl have not been shown to be effective (http://choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=100208&catId=100231&tid=100008&p=6&title=Do+cough%2c+cold+and+flu+remedies+work%3f) , but if your dog seems to get some relief, why not?

Get well soon :rofl: .

Both my dogs had a very mild dose of KC after the intranasal vaccine a few years ago. Since then they've had C5 injections and no problems. I think a few people on here have found their dog's have reacted mildly to the nasal stuff.

Is it possible your dog had kennel cough (symptoms not yet apparent) b4 the vaccinations?

As a teen, I was vaccinated with rubella not knowing I already had it and was sick for a few days as a result.

Clavulox is the brand name of amoxycillin which is an antibiotic. Antibiotics would only be effective if your dog has a bacterial infection. Kennel cough is a virus, but you can get a bacterial infection in addition to it. Amoxycillin is not one of the stronger antibiotics, but often used as one of the first choices. If your dog's doing no better on it, the vet may prescribe something stronger. A stronger one is not prescribed first, otherwise the bacteria would quickly develop resistance, making the drug useless.

In humans, at least, cough medicines like Benadryl have not been shown to be effective (http://choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=100208&catId=100231&tid=100008&p=6&title=Do+cough%2c+cold+and+flu+remedies+work%3f) , but if your dog seems to get some relief, why not?

Get well soon :rofl: .

I doubt she had KC before . . . no one else had it . . . but could be.

As I understand it there is no treatment for the viral component of the KC-complex, but antibiotics can knock back secondary bacterial infections, which can make KC nasty. My vet says the stronger (than Amox) antibiotics are mostly dangerous for puppys. Apparently they affect the enamel of the adult teeth (Vibravet = doxicycline being the one recommended for respiratory problems). Benedryl seems to soothe the throat and make the pup drowsy, hence reducing the chronic aspect of the cough. Fingers crossed she pulls out of it soon.

I also won't use the intranasal vaccine after nearly all my dogs developed either a cough or chronic "reverse sneezing"/wheezing after administration. Also, some dogs snort nearly all of the liquid straight out of their nasal passage and the vaccine ends up not being effective anyway...

I won't ever use the nasal spray. I have heard of a lot of Boxers who develop a cough after the spray and two pups from my last litter were given the spray(against my advice) after they went to their new homes and both ended up with coughs and on antibiotics.

Boxers are particularly susceptible to kennel cough vaccines, and many develop KC straight after the injection as well, so it is not just the spray with them.

Homoeopathic Bryonia is the remedy I have always used and recommended for KC - usually fixes them in a few days. However a chest infection is much more serious and would require specifically prescribed remedies. I am lucky in that I have a customer who is a homoeopath who prescribes for any sick animals that I don't have the expertise for.

Robert McDowell provides great advice by email or phone, and we have used a number of his remedies on our animals - using his thuja extract, colloidal silver and blood cleansing mix plus vitamin C we cured a mare of a life threatening chest infection who the vets said was unsaveable.

I have had this happen with Elka when she had her 12 weeks injections. She had the intranasal and developed a weird "reverse Sneezing" like "Tangwyn" described. I asked my breeder about it who is a vet nurse also and she said it can happen, Elka's litter brother had the intranasal also (at a different vet's) and developed a cough, I asked my vet about and she said no, she had never heard about it and it wasn't possible, but did say Elka's throat was a bit inflamed. To be on the safe side I have avoided it ever since.

another question on this, remy is due for his yearly booster vaccs,, i get c5... has anyone had a reaction the second time round using nasal spray, i will only get injections not nasal. but im interested to know,, he had a reaction to his 16 week nasal spray, then he got a worse dose of KC at around 6 months..